• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played many new games this year, so I'm gonna go with Pokemon Sword as the game I enjoyed the least.

It's a good game, but there is nothing remarkable about it. It's underwhelming even if you don't think about all the things they cut to make it happen.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haven't played much this year besides World of Tanks so I have to say Resident Evil 2.

The lack of different scenarios that affect each other was extremely disappointing.
Rest of the game was only OK too.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon X/Y still has it beat. I could play through that game again tomorrow and forget everything about it by the day after.

Nothing about XY strikes me as worse than what we got in SwSh. The story is, at best, equally dumb. But at least XY had cool features, like the Friend Safari, a full pokédex and proper online connectivity features. SwSh is an active, purposeful downgrade of the series. And people loved that, bizarrely. "The best Pokémon game ever", said a few reviewers.

I just. don't. get. it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I haven't played too many games this year, and what I've played has generally been polished. That said, I picked up Hard West in the recent eShop sale and have now dropped it. One of the more frustrating games I've played in recent memory, with bad interface and a bunch of glitches. Also basic things, like what descriptions of certain modes are, don't seem to be included so I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to avoid games that get bad reviews even if I had interest in them, like Left Alive. Only got so many hours in a day, after all.

But I did really dislike Death Stranding. I completed it and kinda wish I didn't bother. It even made me retroactively question my love of Kojima's older games, I disliked it that much. I honestly wish it was just the walking simulator people dreaded because every time it tried to do anything remotely action-oriented it felt dreadful and infuriating, and it didn't even have an entertaining or interesting story to back it up. The only parts I really liked were the stuff with Mads, and that was mostly from an aesthetic point of view.

I kinda get why people liked it but boy, I have negative interest in whatever KojiPro does next.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Honestly, probably Sekiro. Every other game I played from this year (it was like 6 other games) I liked and was able to vote for in the GOTY thread. Sekiro was the only one I played that I didn't like.

However, I plan to give it another chance cause there's many games I don't like the first time around that I like way more the 2nd time. And I'm still happy for its success (like winning GOTY at TGAs) because From and Miyazaki deserve good things.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Hard tie between Metro: Exodus (Pretty environments, but unfun) and The Outer Worlds (Incredibly bland and uninteresting).

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This year I have played:

Crackdown 3
Resident Evil 2
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Modern Warfare
Gardens Between
Jedi Fallen Order
Devil May Cry 5
Gears 5
Anthem
Pokemon Shield

That's it. Of all those, my worst one is probably Gears 5.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of incredible that every major outlet was hyping Anthem and practically shoving it down our throats prior to it's release. Even giant bomb who had a dozen quick looks of the game which is embarrassing to say the least. You start to wonder how much these goombas were paid for that.

It looks like they had an Unfinished a few weeks before it was out (so either a preview or a beta), a Quick Look of their first impressions, and a Quick Look later in the game. That's not exactly a ridiculously large amount of coverage, and I'm betting those weren't exactly positive either.

...like, are you also going to say they were paid for the 2/5 review they gave it?

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
prolly kingdom hearts 3 for me, trash writing, waaay to easy with all the summons and damage buffs happening every 2 seconds almost felt like it just played itself at times. its graphically stunning tho.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
From the games I've played enough to judge, I would say Rage 2 (even did the platinum, whoops) and probably Metro Exodus (this franchise and I, we will never be friends).

Gears 5 may not be a bad game, but it was a big disappointment for me. Worst Gears, imo. The Gameplay additions just didn't click and imo gears doesn't need them.

Outer worlds was fun for 10 hours, I can't see myself f going back.

Yooka 2D. I'm a huge 2d Jnr fan and this looks like a good clone of the Dkc returns games. It wasn't as much fan as expected.

None of the games may be bad, but did not enjoy them so I think it's ok to name them here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Control... would be the worst game I played if I hadn't have put an embarrassing amount of of time into Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. It's Pokemon Go, but Harry Potter. It's bad. A big part of it is a conceptual issue: there is no compulsion to collect a bunch of random fairies and trolls, whereas catching them all is sort of the whole thing for Pokemon. Part of it is an interfacing issue: throwing a Pokeball feels fine, doing weirdly precise swiping movements on your screen doesn't translate as well. Part of it is monetary: there was a limit to how much stuff you could "catch" like in PoGo, but the refills weren't as easy to come by, so it felt like I was getting squeezed for cash harder this time around. Really though, there's just not shit to do. None of it is interesting in the slightest.

If we're talking big boy games, then yeah it's Control by a country mile.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3. How did I ever enjoy these games? I suspect I didn't, but this really brought it home.

It's stunning to look at and filled with things to do, but the core gameplay loop - mashmashmashmash interminable cutscene mashmashmashmash - is feels so boring. I feel hypocritical saying this when I still love very traditional JRPGs, but KH3 is just so tedious.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
Has to be Rage2. Downloaded free from gamepass and never bounced off something so hard... don't even know what is was... bad mood ?

*ducks* Obra Dinn left me ice cold too.

NeoN1

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order is the jankiest thing ever. Couldn't play it for more than 2 hours.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I haven't played many games of this year, so I guess Bloodstained would be the worst? It's still good, but only good. Slightly more balanced than Symphony of the Night, but falling short of its art, music, character/enemy designs, etc. that gave it such a special atmosphere. Also nowhere near as intriguingly arcane. I've played through Symphony at least half a dozen thorough times, and I still get the sense there's something there I've probably missed. I don't get that with Bloodstained. Filled out the map, got all the items, did all the quests, dealt with intrusive glitches, got all the trophies, and I feel utterly done with the game after like 14-15 hours.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue III
I loved the first two, but Shenmue III uncoupled Ryo's journey to be a stronger martial artist from the story and made it into a tedious gameplay mechanic. This had a double whammy effect of exposing the threadbare plot and removing any narrative rewards from completing the game's sometimes mundane (if strangely compelling) tasks, while double-compounding the busywork gameplay to the point that the pace grinds to a crawl.

The stamina mechanic, plus the fact that jobs don't pay much money, plus the fact that food is relatively expensive, coupled with the need to train up your Kung Fu every day meant the game's systems felt like they dragged three or four time's harder than in Shenmue I & II, with no satisfying narrative payoff in the moment-to-moment of the main story.

All sense of intrigue was discarded, along with a lot of the interesting and weird Shenmue characters that came with it. Instead a clear divide between plot and Ryo's growth as a character (now partially abstracted into a half-baked gameplay mechanic) has emerged, and that's really disappointing.

There are almost certainly bigger disappointments and far worse games released this year, but I generally have a good sense for games I won't like and avoid them like the plague. However, I've been waiting almost two decades for Shenmue III, put $130 - an amount I couldn't really afford at the time - into the Kickstarter, and while there are some points of concern and some disappointing points in the run-up to the launch (choosing Deep Silver as publisher, Epic Game Store exclusivity, the fact that consequtive trailers over the years really failed to show the game coming together in a good way), I was hopeful that Suzuki would create a game true to the first two. He failed miserably, and I'm probably finished with the series now.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I have a terrible memory for bad games, so the two games I've dropped a few hours in recently because I got bored are The Outer Worlds and Death Stranding. Just ain't for me.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem I guess, there is a bit of awesome wrapped in a pile of shit. Maybe one day the package will be fun.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Shenmue 3 for me, it didn't click at all...
That's most probably because i did not replay previous entries in anticipation, i abandoned after less than an hour.
If i ever go back, it will be after replaying the old titles and being back in the old-feels mindstate.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I managed to avoid some of the really terrible stuff this year, but my hot take is that Sayonara Wild Hearts isn't very good.

Decent music, but it was sold to me as the Rhythm Game of 2019. After I finished it (Gold on every track, usually first try) I was pissed because it is essentially a braindead endless runner broken into levels. The rhythm game mechanics are barely there and the actual endless runner stuff was barely engaging outside of the absolute endgame. The only levels I had any real difficulty with were the Heartbreak stages, which I found to be extremely visually indistinct and just couldn't line up heart pickups due to the perspective. Other than that, I basically slept my way to gold through the game.

Literally the definition of Style over Substance. Decent music and art direction carries the entire (roughly 1.5 hour long) experience.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I didn't play anything bad necessarily. Probably the closest is Fire Emblem. Way too much social stuff going on.

Or Pokemon Sword.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Blair Witch was my biggest disappointment. It was a chore to play, very repetitive and not scary at all besides a few moments near the end. I demand a do-over!

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
The single player campaign of SW: Battlefront 2 was atrocious, one of the worst things I have played in my life. Even though it is Star Wars, I still couldn't deal with its shit and I had to give up 2 hours in. Multiplayer is great though.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem is the worst 2019 game I played to completion, by far

as far as game that I bounced off of: I can tell Disco Elysium is well put together but I spent 2 hours with it and couldn't get through the first in game day. I found it boring and I'm not sure I'll ever go back

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pokémon Sword. It was fine, but I didn't play anything worse. I didn't mind the lack of big new things, but the fact that the game really only worked for me when it stuck to the old stuff was disappointing.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judgment.
It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't that good either. The weakest Yakuza game as far as I'm concerned.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2. I bought into the hype and then realized it wasn't for me. Great technical achievement, but the gameplay was dreadful for me.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Pokemon Sword/Shield they just make games for 1 year old kids now. The lack of content was appalling , no story , antagonist or anything going for it. It was shit.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Need for SpeedHeat
Did very little for me. Nighttime looks good, the roguelike element is neat, and being able to change the sound of the exhaust is a dumb detail that's appreciated.
But the rest of the game felt distinctly bland and empty, the physics are just kind of ok, daytime looks ungreat, you're in a ghost town, the soundtrack is almost completely irritating, the story seemed highly uninteresting.

In a world where Forza Horizon has existed for years and is so far ahead in regards to everything, this just isn't very exciting. Felt obsolete and pointless.
Played it for maybe two hours and went "Eh." before quitting forever.

I'd say it's an average game, not bad, because I know bad games, I know of Big Rigs, and this is way further away from something like that than Forza Horizon.
But I really don't care for it and think I actually think it's bad. Horizon is a 9, Heat a 4, and Big Rigs a -11.

Last edited:

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
Outer Wilds | I really tried to love it. But it was hard to even enjoy my time with it, so i dropped relatively early.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Pathological 2. Felt like a horribly translated eurojank game that didn't know what the hell it wanted to be.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Outer worlds
Dmc5
Gears 5
Probably forgetting a few others.

Didn't actually play Anthem, Jedi Order, so I've got no opinion on either.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Wolfenstein Youngblood should be a future case study on how to colossally misunderstand what makes a franchise great and make a game out all the parts of said franchise that people dislike:

It's possibly the most baffling game created this entire generation.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The first hour of Travis Strikes Again gave me buyers remorse for something that only cost me a tenner

Oct 30, 2017
Turns out I've only played 4 games released in 2019

Control
Man of Medan
Stranger Things 3 The Game
Resident Evil 2 Remake

These games are great. To answer OP's question, I guess Stranger Things. I loved that game though

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Not played many games if i'm being honest.

Worse is probably Modern Warfare. The very first game i was spawn trapped by half dozen roof snipers, and the follwing games were not much different. I played for 3 hours before i gave up and returned the game for a refund.

Controversially i'm going to say Apex Legends too. What was one of my favorite games of the year has soured on me massively. Respawn's weird changes to the game (SBMM), long ass season lengths and game inconsistency has made me dislike the game. I'm mad that i put in as much time as i did.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Not much sticks out for me but I did drop my free copy of Wolfenstein Youngblood fast. Then again I think Machinegames only released one good Wolfenstein game and the rest have been middling to terrible.

Outer worlds, Bloodstained(Switch), and Jedi Fallen Order all had some technical issues that pushed me to hold off playing until I guess 2020 now due to patch hope.

i was looking forward to playing the messenger. what didn't you like about it?

Alternatively, I completed Messenger to 100% and had a flipping great time clearing that map of all secrets, goodies, and completing its various platforming challenges.

Last edited: