• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I cancelled Anthem, Death Stranding and Days Gone before they were delivered so I dodged those bullets

I guess Wolfenstein? Got it for free with my laptop and it was just OK

Kingdom Hearts 3 was also pretty meh

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Some how I got 1 month EA pass and tried bunch of their AAA games. Anthem, Mass Effect 3, Andromeda, BFV were no good. To be fair, I could only stand to play about 1-2 hrs each. I actually liked Dragon Age Inquisition to my surprise.

Not bad but Gears 5 and Metro Exodus are games I played more than 5 hrs that fell below the hype for me.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro and Death Stranding.

I think the biggest surprise was RE2. It is the game that I enjoyed the most without actively thinking about it.
Sekiro I had to convince myself that I was enjoying it. I wasn't. It's unbeaten and I don't know when I will return to it. Death Stranding had its moments of pure enjoyment but I didn't like the story very much. The entire concept was fascinating but I didn't buy the presentation.
Neither of these games are terrible. Both are games that I didn't vibe with 100%.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Sorry to say it, probably Control tbh... Not that I played any games that got outright bad reviews like Anthem, so it's just the worst among among decent to great games. The framerate was really bad, combat was flashy but uninteresting, I couldn't make sense of the map and I got really frustrated dying over and over to some boss. Haven't finished it though.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me it was Anthem. Played it through EA access so I gave it a fair shot too, sunk double digit hours into it, enough to realize while competent and technically a serviceable game that's all there was. Some cool mechanics and enough shit to shoot to distract from the severe lack of good content.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hmmmm the one that pissed me off the most was CTR. Never, in my life, had found a game where normal was way too demanding and easy was so absolutely devoid of challenge.
Also, Death Stranding, which I like but can't get myself to play it since I do close to no progress.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think Crackdown 3, Anthem and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint all deserve dishonorable mentions.

Painfully bland and boring bullshit from top to bottom.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Having made peace with the fact that there would be no more Mass Effect after Andromeda, I had high hopes for Anthem. After seven years in the oven, I expected more than the steaming turd that I foolishly preordered.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Either Imperator: Rome or Where the Water Tastes Like Wine.

I actually recognize the quality in both, but they just never clicked.

Shame, as I was pretty hyped for them.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
games i quit playing before finishing:

devil may cry 5
sekiro
astral chain
outer wilds

least favorite game of those i did finish:

outer worlds...

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not played many games this year. So, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that bad, but my winner would be Modern Warfare.

A paint by the numbers campaign combined with the worst MP maps in COD history. Also, an insanely low TTK, that I don't jive with at all.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Outside of resident evil 2, every 2019 game i played was just dissapointing

Outer Worlds and sekiro were so dissapointing

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
One Leaves. It's a free game on Xbox/PC but has probably one of the most unexpected twists I've encountered.
It is super low quality though like it looks "CS: Source custom map" levels of quality.
The game just feels like a massive red herring once you get the message at the end of the video.

To me, it's the spiritual successor of Ben Hur for Xbox One.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order I think. I found nothing remotely interesting about that game. I had somewhat high hopes too after hearing mostly positive impressions and realizing it's a bit of a Metroidvania. I gave up on it after about 3 hours. Unbelievably rote, bland and shockingly unpolished for such a big budget game.

Runner-up would be Kingdom Hearts 3. It's just not a good game. It's got bad dialogue (not funny bad, just bad) and it's mostly just Wasted Potential: the Game with pretty graphics and nothing of actual substance. Completely devoid of engaging gameplay. I was waltzing though that game like a mindless zombie. Utterly forgettable.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
header.jpg

Loved the idea, but the execution was awful. Was expecting a similar game to Vampyr, but it's not even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence. What a shame.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Rage 2.

I'd rather watch the trailer 10 times than play another 10 minutes of the game itself. It's just so boring.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I've played some stinkers this year but far cry new dawn was truly terrible. Anyone who managed to finish it knows how terrible the last couple of encounters were. Ubi really needs to figure out how to move forward with this franchise because more the same isnt going to work out well for them.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Contra: Rogue Corps - played only the demo. This game can hurt your eyes, It's so damn ugly with some of the worst art direction in any game i have ever played. Doesn't play well either. This is a twin-stick shooter running with 30 fps and has serious input lag issues. Konami is not even trying anymore. I hope they never touch again Metal Gear and Silent Hill IP's.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Gears 5 is abysmal. There's nothing positive I can say about that game other than that it's very pretty. It's a complete and honestly insulting waste of time.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't really play too much stuff I don't enjoy. Though the two big disappointments from studios I usually adore were The Outer Words and Astral Chain.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3, but I generally only play games I know I'll like aside from nostalgia-driven ones like this one.

May 10, 2019
It's finally nice to see i'm not the only person in human existence that fucking loathed the Outer Wilds.

About half of the Qubic games I got from the free giveaway on Switch through the last two weeks were released this year and most of those were garbage.

Other than that - uh, the last 3 worlds of Baba Is You? You know, the ultra-rigid metapuzzles that threw away the potential of solving variety taught in the first 70% of the game.

I used to waste all my time deliberately playing bad games for mean steam reviews, and I didn't do any of that this year.

Oct 27, 2017
When GOTY and worst-game candidates merge, I know the end of the year is truly upon us.

I guess I'd have to say Outer Worlds on PC gamepass. Kept crashing. But that was two months ago, it may be fine now. I can play it on xbox ok, so it's not like it's a bad game, just that it was the worst experience of the year. Not bad, relatively considering.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders 3. So terrible. Hated the changes to combat. Ran like shit and terrible game design.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Honestly, of the games I've actually played this year, probably Death Stranding. Friend and I played for ~5 hours release weekend and, while it had its laughs, was also mega cringe and frustrating at times. Have never found a game so seemingly polished and finished to be so devoid of fun
Cringe is Kojima's middle name.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Probably Everybody's Golf VR. I really wanted to like this but it just doesn't work well and I tried really hard to get the hang of it. I shut it off and played the real Everybody's Golf.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to know if I'm going to like a game or no, so I don't play a lot of really bad games.

But the most disappointing game I played was The Outer Worlds.

This should have been a slam dunk for me... but I just felt nothing when playing it. The combat never felt great to me. The exploration wasn't all that fantastic due to the relatively confined levels. The story didn't grab me. I didn't feel compelled to finish it. Which is weird because I finished most of the games I started this year.

Somehow I enjoyed Greedfall more.