• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
They can't be all winners. Since it's GOTY season, let's flip over the dark side for a bit and let everyone know what your worst game of the year is.

I guess it's Anthem for me. I honestly don't know why I even bothered. It was discounted so quickly I figured I may as well give it a whirl, and yep, it's just as half-baked and bare-bones as everyone else said it was. And unlike in Destiny, which I suppose is the closest point of comparison, the "gamefeel" or whatever you want to call it was not good enough to keep me playing. I will grant, though, that Anthem is still the best "worst game of the year" I've played in several years, since I didn't play any cheap Steam trash in 2019.

how about you, Resetera?

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Out of all 2019 games that I've played Astral Chain was the worst. It's far from being a total disaster, but it was definitely worse than all other 2019 games that I've played thus far.

hydruxo

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Anthem as well. It's a shame because the combat is pretty fun and the feel of each individual javelin is great. It's just that virtually every other aspect of the game is undercooked and underwhelming. As someone who plays a lot of Destiny and Division, it's hard to play Anthem and not just constantly see faults in everything it's trying to do in comparison to other loot shooters.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I didn't hate it, it just didn't really do much for me. I found myself completing it just to complete it. That wasn't a feeling I had playing the TR reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed those two entries of the franchise.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I've played very few titles this year, but of the titles I've played enough of, Astral Chain was probably the most disappointing. The combat's great, the art style is nice, and I actually do like the dungeon traversal element of the Astral Plane. Everything else is pretty bad though, especially the investigation segments and the story.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Fallen order.

How an offline game manages to be jankier than most online games is beyond me. That whole thing is just a mishmash of game elements that don't go together. If it didn't have the star wars licence, nobody would give it the time of day.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds.

- exploration wasn't fun
- stealth was terrible
- story fizzled out way too fast
- chromatic abberation everywhere
- filler quests as part of the main quest

I'd probably have liked it more 10 years ago, the writing was excellent though.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Honestly, of the games I've actually played this year, probably Death Stranding. Friend and I played for ~5 hours release weekend and, while it had its laughs, was also mega cringe and frustrating at times. Have never found a game so seemingly polished and finished to be so devoid of fun

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i have never deleted a game quicker than outer wilds... trying to control that mini lander made my blood boil

(felt reactionary, read up on game, common consensus said not for the impatient)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Anthem although I played less than 10 games released this year so far

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
Out of the games I played this year it has to be either Rage 2 or Metro Exodus. As a huge fan of the first two Metro games Exodus was a letdown on so many levels. The static environments were reminiscent of walking through a funhouse. No interaction, look but don't touch. The characters were some of the most forgettable characters I've ever encountered in a videogame. And the way they would all talk over each other was irritating. The gunplay felt like shit. Exploring was lame. Story was lame. The move from tightly scripted A to B style gameplay to this quasi open nonsense didn't fit the Metro gameplay style at all. So much about that game disappointed me.

Rage 2 was a whole other letdown. Boring open world. Shitty graphics. Try hard edginess. Etc etc. Terrible game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
picross lord of nazarick
the picross part was good, but everything else around it (the music, the art, the writing, the story, the UI) was garbage.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I played enough shitty games in 2019 to have a bottom 5:

5. WWE 2K20
4. Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot
3. Left Alive
2. Contra: Rogue Corps
1. Eternity: The Last Unicorn

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
capsule_616x353.jpg

Doggg

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 17, 2017
Fear Effect Sedna. I think it was like around a dollar on Nintendo's eshop, lol. Still wasn't worth it. Just pure shit.

edit: oops, not a 2019 game. Well, it's the worst I played in 2019.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It;s this damn game. Also gets extra bad points for taking a beloved franchise and giving it a crappy entry in the series.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say this is the game I bounced hardest off, rather than worst game. The Last of Us. I tried to play it and I had an absolutely miserable time for the 2 hours I played. Nothing appealed to me in terms of gameplay. I think it's a great game, just very much not for me and the game I enjoyed playing least this year.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DMC5

👀

It wasn't *bad* per se, but jesus the level design was absolutely dreadful. And V put me to sleep. I had more fun playing Ninja Theory's DMC lol.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
2019 was for the most part blacklog year for me. Those few 2019 games I played were all pretty good, so I will say Red Dead Redemption 2.

I played it a few month ago, what a chore to play through. And there was no real pay off. Story was repeating itself again and again with like 1-2 highlights in a 150 (?) hour journey.
So yeah, that was by far the worst game I played this year.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of the games I've played, there's only two I didn't really find anything to enjoy: Mario Kart Tour and Gears 5. Dropped both after a couple of tries, just couldn't get into them.

There's a few others I'm lukewarm on (Outer Worlds has a lot of bad mixed with the good), but yeah, really just those two. I guess also the demo for Cadence of Hyrule, but that's more my complete lack of rhythm than anything wrong with the game...

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Dragon: Marked for Death

It's not necessarily terrible but also I didn't play many bad games this year. The difficulty curve and general QOL features were severely lacking at launch. Also surprisingly boring music for an Inti Creates game.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
The games I've enjoyed the least this year are:
Pokemon Sword
Indivisible
And my love hate relationship with KH3

Not horrible games, but I didn't really enjoy them.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I've played 5 2019 games:
  • Rage 2 - completed
  • Metro Exodus - dropped for a future playthrough
  • Outer Worlds - completed
  • Jedi Fallen Order - At Dathomir, not judging it
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms - 30 hours or so
Outer Worlds is the most disappointing game for a few years - and Three Kingdoms was a letdown - but Rage 2 is the worse game overall. Satisfying combat and poor execution on everything else.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is always a hard category as the vast majority of game's today are well made and rarely fall into unplayable messes. I guess Anthem would be it. Although I enjoyed the flight/combat mechanics enough to beat it and play it for about 80 hours which is more than I can say for several other games.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Probably Pokemon Sword. Its not nearly as bad as the worse of new games in 2019 but its not as good as everything else I played.

But looking at everything that came out, Anthem, Crackdown 3, WWE2K20, and Breakpoint seem like among the worse of 2019 from impressions, reviews and gameplay

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Anthem, no contest.
There were a bunch of mediocre games I've played this year, or games where some design decisions were bad, but Anthem was barely a game.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Indivisible.

What I had hoped would be a spiritual successor to valkyrie profile ended up as if it were made based on a passing description of VP.

Honorable mention to Bloodstained, which was literally the opposite of SotN from a design perspective.