• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
For me personally the 2 best ones (that I've played) are the SNES one with the Multitap and the DS one.

BombermanDScover.png

The DS one in particular is great. You can play 8 player games with just a single cartridge (easily one of my favorite features of the DS).

One of the battle modes uses the DS microphone to detonate bombs, which can get amazingly chaotic with 8 players in close proximity; other players' shouts can detonate your bombs, so it leads to strategies like trying to get farther apart from one another or trying to cover the mic on your DS.

Bomberman DS and Tetris DS (which can do 10 players off of a single cart) are 2 of my all time favorite multiplayer games.

I wish it were possible to play Hi-Ten Bomberman somehow on a modern HD screen, and I'd like to get Saturn Bomberman and all the necessary controllers and adapters one day.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I was young, but I remember it being a pretty exciting, mystical experience. A different experience from most Bomberman for sure. I'd say it's worth playing!
by the youtube longplay i found its a level bades adventure, the cover let me to expect something different.

Would still play if it was on GB Online on the switch...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either Super Bomberman or the N64 ones
this cover is burned into my brain from magazines back then (next to Zelda DX and Mario DX), but i still havent played it. worth it?
Me too. I have never played it, but that cover art is etched into my mind. Prob b/c of gaming magazines.

Feb 10, 2018
I loved bomberman generation on gamecube because there was a mode with falling bombs from the sky that you had to evade, called the "bombs away" mode, and the music was great

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that really enjoyed Bomberman Generation, that game was a lot of fun! I wish I hadn't sold it. :(

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
For singleplayer, it's gotta be 64. Saturn for mp.

But I'll even give some honorable mentions to Super Bomberman 3-5 and the last few DS games, as they were all just so fun.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bomberman 64 and the GameCube games (Generation and Jetters). Bomberman 64 had the best and funniest battle mode.

I really wish there was a new Bomberman adventure game.

I loved bomberman generation on gamecube because there was a mode with falling bombs from the sky that you had to evade, called the "bombs away" mode, and the music was great
The mode was super fun, even when watching COM players.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
That one Game Boy game that was like a mixture of Bomberman and Crazy Castle series

edit:

Last edited:

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Peak Bomberman was the Super Nintendo era, before better multiplayer games came out during the N64 era onward.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This thread is reminding how little Bomberman games missed when it came to wild ass alternate game modes.

As someone mentioned, Pocket Bomberman is a pretty neat Crazy Castle esque platformer (with a surprisingly catchy OST), but the real good shit was jump mode.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
Bomberman: Party Edition on PS1 was the one I had that I would play with friends growing up. That game was perfection.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Atomic Bomberman on PC. Remember playing it online a bit.

Always wanted to play Saturn Bomberman though.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Mega Bomberman was the one I played the most.
Though I will say that I did have some fun times with friends with Bomberman Jetters.

Craig Majaski

Nov 1, 2017
The two I played the most were Super Bomberman on SNES and Saturn Bomberman, which is my personal favorite. It has a wide range of stages and the addition of rideable dinos make it an amazingly addictive multiplayer game. You can also 2 player co-op the campaign.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Super Bomberman R on Switch/Steam/PS4/Xbox One, that after like 3 years of support, updates and patches, is an incredibly attempt at bringing back Bomberman with a very familiar but unique feel. I non ironically loved the very Saturday morning cartoon cutscenes and how much... personality they put into all the Bomberpeople.

I'm also currently playing R Online myself, lol.

Give us a Saturn Bomberman remake in this style already, Konami, you cowards!

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn Bomberman is so pure.

8 or 10 player multiplayer.
Single player Master Mode challenge rooms.
Single or 2 player co-op campaign.

Features, arenas and power ups were just a refinement of all of Bomberman's best qualities. No game has come close since.

Mega Bomberman was also great. Known as Bomberman '94 on the turbo graphics.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking about this yesterday in light of another thread about Bomberman Hero.

64 was absolutely peak Bomberman in its original style, and Hero was meant to be the game (and style) featuring the direction that the future of the series was intended to take, though adventure mode certainly was a big departure from the older style.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite Bomberman game overall is Bomberman Tournament for the GBA.

Fantastic game that's is basically a 2D Zelda for the single player but with Bomberman gameplay. It has a fun pokemon style monster collection mechanic, the different monsters give you different abilities, like being able to remote detonate your bombs and stuff like that.

My favorite multiplayer Bomberman experience was probably Bomberman 64.
Thats when I was going over to friends houses the most and had the most fun doing local multiplayer. Loved the ability to "pump up" the bombs and make them bigger, and when you died you could become a ghost and possess people to mess them up or throw bombs from the sidelines to try and kill the remaining players.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Bomberman for the PS1 is the best if you just want a traditional Bomberman multiplayer experience.

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
Atomic Bomberman on PC. Remember playing it online a bit.

Always wanted to play Saturn Bomberman though.

This one right here. It's the only bomberman i played, but i remember playing it with my friends for month if not years every friday. Two on the keyboard, two on gamepads, one on a joystick and I even won one round playing with a steering wheel. What madness.
The soundtrack and the voices where awesome.
Great game with friends, not so great with bots.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I expected Saturn Bomberman to dominate, but Bomberman Online for the Dreamcast deserves some love because it is still has one of the most full featured multiplayer modes of the 3D Bomberman era.

Also, if you like Bomberman, give Invisigun Heroes a shot. I think it has a higher skill ceiling.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm kinda surprised there's so little affection for the GC Bomberman games, Generations and Jetters. Jetters specifically was made to go along with an anime that I think never came out in the west, so I guess it makes sense that it's a bit forgotten. Both of those games were my first Bomberman experiences, sort of an adventure/action game based on the oldschool Bomberman formula with a bit of DNA from the N64 games. I also loved the Charaboms even if they were shameless Pokemon ripoffs.

Bombermanjetterscover1.jpg

I think maybe the real answer is whichever Bomberman you grew up with, lol.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Bomberman 64 is where I'm most nostalgic, which is weird because it's an aberration for the series. Really dug the single player mode and the free form battle arena multiplayer.

For classic bomberman, probably 94 or Saturn.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Bomberman Tournament was amazing, the gameplay integrated really well with the overworld, the bases had nice gimmicks and the boss battles were cool.

I'm nostalgic because it was the first game in English that had some dependency on dialog that me and my brother played, dozens of hours with a big ass dictionary by our side to translate everything.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
64 and Second Attack will always have a special place in my heart. Second Attack especially had some pretty creative levels and uses of the different bomb types.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
In order for me it was Super Bomberman 2, then somebody around me had the import of 5, and then Saturn.