• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So in yesterday's Nintendo Direct they had a trailer for an upcoming dodgeball-themed game from EA called Knockout City, except instead of making it about the game or its characters like any normal trailer would do, it was mostly devoted to a goofy Drawn Together-esque setup about a bunch of completely unrelated parody characters being on a team together, with the pixelated Princess Charm being a notable standout with her extremely good animation and spunky personality.

Immediately after it ended I thought "okay, I can't be the only one who found that initial premise to be cooler than the rest of the trailer" and sure enough, look up Knockout City on Twitter and most of the discussion is people more interested in the parody characters rather than the actual game (with Princess Charm in particular getting a ton of fanart). Hilariously, one of the artists who worked on the animation revealed in a now-deleted Tweet that it was done by a different studio and that they knew almost nothing about the game:

1613674413329.png

So where does EA go from here? Will they add the characters from the trailer to the game to ride the unexpected wave of popularity, greenlight a completely new game starring them, or do nothing and simply let this go down as a huge marketing fail that sold people on a game that doesn't actually exist?

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Really shows how EA cares about this game. This will be another case of Rocket Arena or Ninjala.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bizarre and disconnected strategy. The princess was the only thing I remember from that presentation.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
People will get over it. The character types seem to be in the game just not the particular designs from the "interviews".

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
It was weird. I think the goal was to show the game has four quadrant appeal to all gamers, but I just wanted to play the game where pottymouthed RPG Maker Princess, WoW Orc, Jonesy, and Seargent Calhoun and Ninja's lovechild play dodgeball.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
EA? Probably do nothing.

The premise of the ad had me way more interested than the game, though I think the game looks fun and EA did it a disservice by messing up the ad.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I spent the second half of the trailer saying out loud over and over, "What the fuck?" Exact same takeaway here.

EA sure knows how to doom lookalike games-as-a-service products. (Remember Rocket Arena? Which isn't even a year old yet?) How Apex Legends crawled out of their PR team's ooze to success is still beyond me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I spent the second half of the trailer saying out loud over and over, "What the fuck?" Exact same takeaway here.

EA sure knows how to doom lookalike games-as-a-service products. (Remember Rocket Arena? Which isn't even a year old yet?) How Apex Legends crawled out of their PR team's ooze to success is still beyond me.
Apex was shadowdropped so it was designed to be picked up on a whim and ended up taking the world by storm.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Like.... I was waiting to see a big orc guy in the game but no he's just....playing a dude in the game. Same with the princess lol

The non-gameplay aspects of the trailer were definitely more interesting than the game itself, unfortunately.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I know it is, but Apex Legends doesn't feel like an EA game to me.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, my initial thought before the dodgeball game play was shown was, "is this some sort of smash clone or hero shooter starring parody video game characters?"

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Are you seriously comparing the indie offering with Respawn titles?

EA Originals label was all about picking indies and give them a spotlight, they were never going to do crazy stuff with marketing and exposure.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
They messed up. I want to play as the cartoon characters in a party game of some sort. The game looks kinda cool but I'm distracted now

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The thing I actually wanted the most out of the trailer was a game with a bunch of characters from completely mismatching art styles. It would be really fun to have an RPG with a pixelated princess and a WoW-looking orc.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Hilariously, one of the artists who worked on the animation revealed in a now-deleted Tweet that it was done by a different studio and that they knew almost nothing about the game
When I read something like this it just makes me think the publisher doesn't have that much faith in the game.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Like.... I was waiting to see a big orc guy in the game but no he's just....playing a dude in the game. Same with the princess lol

The non-gameplay aspects of the trailer were definitely more interesting than the game itself, unfortunately.

I'm not going to lie, when I saw the Big Orc guy I thought it was from World of Warcraft, I was like "Are we about to see WoW come to Switch?! :O"

Nope lol.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah the disconnect was unreal. I was like "hey, a mishmash of character designs in a coop game? I don't know how they'll do it but cool" and then the actual game footage came on and it was like Ninjala 2.0?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Honestly I was pretty distracted and thought the game was a new mode for Fortnite. The levels seemed huge for the player count and mechanics, it looked pretty bad but what do I know.

Princess Charm is cool though, EA should donate her to an RPG or something.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It felt like a trailer that was being interrupted by intrusive youtube ads for shitty mobile games. Very meta...but that's not actually what they were going for.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I don't really like hodgepodge art styles tbh so I'm fine with that being absent from the game, although if they were actually trying to implement that in the character design somehow they did an abysmal job.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe they realised their game looks like Generic: The Video Game, and decided to add a bunch of unrelated characters into the trailer in the hope that even one person would care.

And it clearly worked. This thread wouldn't exist otherwise.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Personally didn't like this trailer. Though it was Fortnite until they showed the gameplay.
As for the gameplay, it looks like it's going to be another "Rocket arena", tbh.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Reminds me of that ad for the game Blur. I don't think ads using made-up characters with conflicting artstyles really works

Sep 29, 2019
I found it so weird. When i saw the Knockout City gameplay starting to roll i was like... Did they mix the trailers? It was so out of place. The animation itself is top notch though, amazing work from the people who did it!

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they realised their game looks like Generic: The Video Game, and decided to add a bunch of unrelated characters into the trailer in the hope that even one person would care.

And it clearly worked. This thread wouldn't exist otherwise.

Well, if the goal was to get people talking about a game that they wouldn't have otherwise, then mission accomplished. I'm not sure if those people will go on to actually play the game though.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I was much more interested in the dodgeball game separate from the weird talking head videogame characters. That was distracting and weird and needlessly confusing. The dodgeball game looked like a fun Splatoon or Ninjala style competitive multiplayer game with a unique gimmick.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the interview scenes were real, real boring and perhaps even a tad cringey. just completely flat and trying way too hard. but I guess it's made more with kids in mind

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It was so awful I would already bet money on the game being DOA and never being talked about a week after release.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the opposite end. I can't be the only one who found the script so clichéd and cringy.

I personally look forward to the gameplay though.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The game itself didn't look all that special to me, but it seemed pretty obvious that the way it was presented was meant to be "This is the game other game characters play" which is why they went with the super generic WoW style orc, CoD style soldier, and retro 2D princess. I doubt most people who watched it are going to read that much into how it was presented, or that its going to have some negative effect either way on how the actual game itself is received.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The game totally feels like it had a FAR more interesting pitch. With the trailer as well as the very Jet Set Radio looking logo, you'd expect it to be a lot more visually interesting. I bet the devs were forced to stick strictly to the safe cartoony artstyle because Overwatch.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

Oh my god my SO was talking about Rocket Arena last night and I fully thought he was talking about Rocket League until I read this right now and realized that's a different game.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I was thoroughly confused because I was only able to half pay attention and I remember thinking "These in-game models don't look like the talking head portions..."

Such an odd marketing decision.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the reveal was strange. the game looks boring and it's like they tried to come up with something to make it interesting. but even then, they settled on something that was of no relation to the game

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that to me if must've been HEAVILY focus-tested. It does reek of being too similar to Overwatch and Fortnite and yeah, the trailer characters gave a very different vibe than it ended up being.

It's sad since this is the team behind Mario Kart Live, formed by the founders of Vicarious Visions. The pedigree is there, but feels very wasted at the moment. I hope Velan have another new IP in the works directly with Nintendo.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It was a really, really bad trailer. Wow/Moba/COD jokes are so old and played out. It was also really ballsy to show all those different character artstyles only to reveal that the game itself looks really plain and devoid of any personality.

People seemed to love that princess though. Shame she has nothing to do with the game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had no idea what I was watching, and was waiting for it to somehow tie everything together, but... it didn't.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I mean honestly, I'll tell exactly what they were thinking, "how do we get people to pay attention and talk about a dodgeball game?" Whether or not they were successful was another story. This game looks sort of fun but as much as i hate to say it, I can guarantee if they just showed gameplay alone with just text that said like "NEW DODGEBALL GAME, MULTIPLAYER MAYHEM, FREETOPLAY!!!" nobody would care