• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was Capcom's best console generation?

• 8-bit (NES/80's Arcade Games)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 16-bit (SNES/Genesis/MD/TG16/GB/Arcade 1990-95)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • PSX/Saturn/N64/GBC/DC/Arcade 1996-2001

Votes: 151 31.2%
  • PS2/Xbox/GCN/GBA

Votes: 163 33.7%
  • PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP/PC 2005-2013

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • PS4/XONE/Switch/PC 2014-2020

Votes: 47 9.7%

• Total voters

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Since 2017 or so there's been a sense that Capcom is "back" with the last few Resident Evils being well-received, Capcom putting out another "real" Devil May Cry game, and them finally making a Monster Hunter for the western console market which ends up being Capcom's top selling game ever.

Was Capcom really "gone" for the PS3/360 era and the first part of this past console gen though? I guess like all Japanese game companies it had trouble adjusting to HD, but Capcom didn't have nearly as much trouble in that regards as Square Enix or Konami. Sure Resident Evil 5 and 6 were kinda "eh" (unless you played RE5 in co-op) and so were Lost Planet 2 and 3 (was LP2 simply ahead of its time?), but from a production standpoint Capcom was still able to ship a decent number of games. Its MT Framework tech seemed to work well for it and even made for some of the most optimized PC ports of AAA games of that era. And really, you can't ignore how Monster Hunter on the PSP took over Japan back then. Though at the same time Capcom's output on the DS probably wasn't as good as on the GBA. I think we can just agree that the PS3/360/PSP/DS era was Capcom's least good console generation.

...I don't know. How do you compare that to the PS2/GCN/Xbox/GBA era? That's when Capcom gave up on Street Fighter, instead coasting on CvS2 and Marvel 2. Resident Evil was also sort of in the wilderness for most of that gen since Mikami turned his back on Sony in favor of Nintendo, releasing one really good RE game on the GameCube, then releasing an okay one, then releasing the GOAT at the tail end of its lifespan. Weigh that against the GBA, where Capcom cranked out four Mega Man Zeroes (and Mega Man & Bass) and six Battle Networks. Really Capcom gained a reputation for being extremely prolific back then, especially with Mega Man games. Even Breath of Fire V, though apparently controversial back then, is today seen as underrated. And of course Devil May Cry pretty much codified a genre.

Prior to the PS2 era it's pretty much all good for Capcom. The 80's and 90's are one long heyday for the company, even as it transitioned from making certain kinds of games to others.

Out of all that, I'd argue the 16-bit era was Capcom's best. The main reason is due to Street Fighter II launching the fighting game boom. If you weren't around back then, SFII was almost like the Call of Duty or Fortnite of its time. It was the competitive video game everybody knew about. It was solidly in the mainstream consciousness. Even aside from that and all Capcom's other early 90's fighting games, it cranked out Mega Man X games on the SNES, Breath of Fire games, and some good Disney games too.

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
100% nostalgia talking but when I think of Capcom I think of their NES library. Mega Man, their Disney licensed stuff, Little Nemo, Ghosts and Goblins, etc.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hmmm, this was harder than I thought it would be mostly between PS1 vs PS2 eras. I gave the edge to PS1 though as there was just a lot of content and variety there with a lot of things that got their start there and of course Dino Crisis.

Their PS2 era was very strong though and has titles many consider still the best of the best even now.

Oct 29, 2017
They were so on top of their game in the sixth gen, even the games that were not huge hits like Okami and Viewtiful Joe are cult classics.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
While Capcom was amazing in the 16-bits era with Megaman X/ MM&Bass, Mickey Mania, Magical Quest, SFII, BoF I still think its best console generation was the PSX/etc era. MMX, MML, REs, Dino Crisis, Phoenix Wright, Darkstalkers 3.. hard to top that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I personally preferred their PS2 gen output thanks to Clover mainly, as well as DMC, RE4, Maximo, CvS2 etc., but overall the 7th gen takes it easily, especially if you're counting PSP and DS (and doubly so if we take Ace Attorney as a 7th gen/DS franchise).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
That is a company that ran very, very strong from the NES to the PS2. However, for my money, I think their work on the PS1 is probably their best.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Going to have to go this direction also.

Resident Evil 1/2/3
Dino Crisis 1/2
Street Fighter Alpha 2/3
Megaman X3/4/5/6
Megaman Legends/Legends 2/Tron Bonne
Breath of Fire 3/4
Pocket Fighter
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Marvel Super Heroes
Xmen vs. Street Fighter.
Strider 2

Capcom was on fire that generation, and I'm sure I'm forgettng stuff. The SNES era wasn't close to this at all.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The arcade years in the poll don't always align with the consoles listed (arcade Ghouls n Ghosts, Strider, and Forgotten Worlds came out in the '80s but had their most notable ports on 16-bit consoles) so that makes it harder to decide. And DC being lumped with the 32-bit consoles is weird. I'm leaning towards 16-bit anyway when including arcade games although Resident Evil 1 and 2 and the SF Alpha series are among their best games.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
PSX. They have had high points in all generations, but when I look back to the series that I love, PSX just shines. RE1/2/3 alone makes the decision easy for me, but then you Dino Crisis it up and well... I'm still playing these games every few months, and it's 20+ years later.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
Had to really think about this as I'm a massive Capcom fan, but I don't if it's age perhaps or something else, but, the impact of REmake, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe and of course the GOAT that's RE4 means i give it a nod to PS2/GC era...

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
I prefer their PS2/GameCube games the most. Devil May Cry alone nukes every other franchise they've ever made imo. Battle Network is also one of my favorite Mega Man sub-series, and even though Inti Creates primarily made Zero, that's also great.

Then of course there's Clover's games which are all real good.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
The arcade years in the poll don't always align with the consoles listed (arcade Ghouls n Ghosts, Strider, and Forgotten Worlds came out in the '80s but had their most notable ports on 16-bit consoles) so that makes it harder to decide. And DC being lumped with the 32-bit consoles is weird. I'm leaning towards 16-bit anyway when including arcade games although Resident Evil 1 and 2 and the SF Alpha series are among their best games.
Yeah, CPS2 was peak Capcom, with some overspill to the Naomi.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 had Monster Hunter World for me

but also a big fan of the previous gen, with street fighter IV and MvC3

and other gens

it's really hard to decide

but last gen Capcom had a massive turnaround

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
6th generation Capcom was fucking crazy:

Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
REmake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney 2
Ace Attorney 3
Mega Man Battle Network 1 - 6 (except 4 since 4 was trash)
Mega Man Zero 1 - 4
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Steel Battalion
Onimusha 1
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Monster Hunter
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Killer 7
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Maximo: Army of Zin
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
God Hand
Gotcha Force
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 Free

Clover studio was still GOAT studio. The amount of talent in one studio was just ridiculous.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wii/DS/X360: Zack & Wiki, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick, Remember Me, and still going into 3DS with Gaist Crusher, MonHun Stories, Project × Zone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to argue with a generation that saw...

Resident Evil 1/2/3/CV
Street Fighter Alpha/2/3
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel vs Capcom/MvC2
Powerstone/2
Dino Crisis
Monster Hunter/G/2
Rival Schools
Mega Man 8

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast should be included with ps2/xbox/gcn.

When you take this fact into account you have the dc greats like rival schools and power stone as well as re4, the dmc series, and okami.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
6th generation Capcom was fucking crazy:

Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
REmake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney 2
Ace Attorney 3
Mega Man Battle Network 1 - 6 (except 4 since 4 was trash)
Mega Man Zero 1 - 4
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Steel Battalion
Onimusha 1
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Monster Hunter
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Killer 7
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Maximo: Army of Zin
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
God Hand
Gotcha Force
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fuck me

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS2/GCN Gen for sure. Many of their best games came from that generation: RE4, REmake, DMC1, DMC3, CvS2, MvC2, Onimusha 3...

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm not a big fan of fighting games, beat-em-ups, brawlers, etc., therefore I'm just not really into most of Capcom's highly regarded games (although I highly respect them).

But all the Mega Man NES games are great games, even today, and some of their Disney NES games are real classics, so I'll have to go with NES as being my personal favorite.

(But their Dreamcast and Gamecube lineup was probably their actual best.)

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I loved their 16 & 32 bit output, but their PS2 output is on another level. The only blemish on their output that generation was that there was not a new Street Fighter. Oh counting Dreamcast, I take that back.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
Best DMC ever: DMCV
Best MonHun ever: MH World
Best modern RE: RE2MAKE

I'm going with current gen, believe me or not.
SF and Mega-Man could be in better shape to make the choice easier though, but I'm hoping they will rebound soon enough.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you include ports, eighth gen by a pretty significant margin.

Street Fighter 1-5
UMvC3
All main Mega Man, X, and Zero games (likely Battle Network as well based on rumors)
Monster Hunter World/Iceborn/Rise
Devil May Cry 1-5
Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, 7 and REmakes 1-3
Dragon's Dogma
Ace Attorney 1-3
Onimusha
Okami
Strider
GnG
And a bunch of miscellaneous classic games

Breath of Fire feels like the only significant omission.

Without ports, I'd put eighth below fifth and sixth. A lot of high high quality, but the quantity is not what it used to be.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 7/X Series, Final Fight, BOF, and SF2 vs RE, SF3 and Versus vs DMC/RE4.

Gonna have to go with 16.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Oh this is easy money, PSX all day. Alpha 3 my favorite SF game), Resident Evil, Mega Man Legends, BoF IV. But don't sleep on PS2 at all, CvS2, 3rd Stike, etc., etc.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 had a lot of good stuff but I had a late start to most game from that time. PS3/360 era was what made me love Capcom though.