• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
totally forgot this was a thing and would love to hear that they "fixed" it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
arstechnica.com

2020’s most disappointing games, as led by Blizzard’s WarCraft III: Reforged

Plus five other games, though really, none is as bad as Blizzard's year-long bummer.

Fans have been waiting for any sign that the game may return to the non-Reforged version's level of features, let alone hoping that the game's graphics might be smoothed to the level Blizzard promised back at BlizzCon 2018. On the feature front, in July and August, Blizzard described how its team would reinstate ladder-based matchmaking and player profiles, respectively. Neither has come to pass, and in December, Blizzard issued a terribly brief update: "We'd like to acknowledge that a new build of the current version of Warcraft III: Reforged was just made available. This update addresses a server issue and contains no player-facing changes." The Reddit responses to this official bulletin—which acknowledged nothing about the team's months-old promises—were less than polite.

Fed up, the WC3 community built its own system to manage online ladder-matchmaking seasons and player profiles within the Reforged client. This requires installing an additional EXE and signing up at W3Champions.com. The community seems happy enough with this system, since it lets them return to the game's original ruleset and code foundation and just play some satisfying WC3 matches. (Meaning, community members have found their bliss by rejecting every iota of updated content.) But there's no telling if or when Blizzard might break the community's roundabout solution.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
They haven't really fixed or improved much, basic functionality such as user profiles and a ladder system are still completely MIA.

Luckily if you wanna play multiplayer the community has pushed ahead and developed a comprehensive addon that now supports host bots (since blizzard never added servers for any of the many regions that play the game) and you can find that at https://www.w3champions.com/

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
arstechnica.com

2020’s most disappointing games, as led by Blizzard’s WarCraft III: Reforged

Plus five other games, though really, none is as bad as Blizzard's year-long bummer.

This is an excellent recap, thank you for making people aware of how poorly this whole thing has been handled.

As an Australian who has been unable to play games on sub 200 ping for the last year I am so elated at everything the w3champions team has done, heroes.

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
Reforged is probably my biggest gaming disappointment ever. This game was a very significant part of my growing up, and even made some friends from there. To see it being treated like hot garbage is sad. I have completely given up on them fixing Reforged. They got their money and now it's time to dip

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The point where I never pre-ordered again. Even if they fixed the issues I wouldn't play it out of pure spite. :3

Jan 2, 2018
Say I'm just interested in playing the campaigns on modern system ,will I enjoy the game? never played the original BTW.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Last I heard, it's mostly played by folks using a mod that restores everything that was stripped while also stripping almost everything that was added. That's probably not a good sign.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
This is the only way to interact with Warcraft 3 anymore:

W3Champions

Restores battle.net to how it used to look. It's sorta like ICCUP back in Starcraft 1. This has a deep ranked ladder like in SC2, profiles, profile icons to unlock, a global ladder with about 15 servers, many more than official battle.net has. I can play with just about anyone in the world with 100-120ping for the longest distances. Has -zoom support, easily change hotkeys, ability to change inventory hotkeys which the official client still can't do. It's truly is insane what this community effort has achieved.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I forgot this existed for a while and this thread just made me remember this disaster. i was this close to buying it. THankfuly i waited for reviews. All blizzard needed was to apply a new coat of paint to the game and it was good to go.
Such a disapointed.
I'm still a bit salty that most gaming jornalists didn't punish the game much higher due to literally being an inferior version to the original.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Only 2 games have absolutely shattered me with disappointment based on what the devs promised with early reveals/trailers compared to the final product. The first was Sim City (2013) and the second this game. Other games have obviously disappointed but never to the level these 2 games hit. I have no words for just how let down I felt by the developers. Genuine dislike, and I don't say that lightly.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me. Played it at BlizzCon 2018 all hyped as hell to see these amazing cutscenes for Stratholme. Then a year later we get.... this.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Only 2 games have absolutely shattered me with disappointment based on what the devs promised with early reveals/trailers compared to the final product. The first was Sim City (2013) and the second this game. Other games have obviously disappointed but never to the level these 2 games hit. I have no words for just how let down I felt by the developers. Genuine dislike, and I don't say that lightly.
I had forgotten what a shitshow Sim City (2013) was...

Sadly for Warcraft 3 nothing has really improved nor there was ever any commitment by Blizzard to fix so it is the same mess and is just as a failure as it was when it launched.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Damn I thought you were going to show me it looking good or something so I can finally boot it up.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Was thinking of getting it but I stood firm with wanting to boycott Blizzard since they are complicit with the CCP's ideals.

Glad I stuck to the boycott, Blizzard's a husk of it's former self worn by a soulless vessel of Activision.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
It's the game that itself spawned entire spinoff genres, including the biggest esports game of all time in DOTA. How could you fuck this up so colossally? If they put even half the effort they put into SC:R or WoWC it would have been fine, but they somehow managed to put out a remake worse than the original. Seriously, what gives?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's been almost a whole year and it doesn't look like they've done much of anything with it aside from a few patches here and there.

I still hate that it forced everyone to download the remastered content regardless of whether they actually owned it. The install size increased by like 10x, and now I have ~30 GB of assets on my hard drive that are completely locked out to me until I upgrade (which, at this rate, will happen around a quarter after never).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Is it still not possible to get the "old" versions or have they actually fixed that issue?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's the game that itself spawned entire spinoff genres, including the biggest esports game of all time in DOTA. How could you fuck this up so colossally? If they put even half the effort they put into SC:R or WoWC it would have been fine, but they somehow managed to put out a remake worse than the original. Seriously, what gives?

Activision knee-capped the project. Basically went on to fire hundreds of people at blizzard and then reduce the scope of the project severely.

Basically:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
They haven't really fixed or improved much, basic functionality such as user profiles and a ladder system are still completely MIA.

Luckily if you wanna play multiplayer the community has pushed ahead and developed a comprehensive addon that now supports host bots (since blizzard never added servers for any of the many regions that play the game) and you can find that at https://www.w3champions.com/
Thank fuck we have a system for it at least. It's a serious shame they dropped this game so fucking fast.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Blizzard is awful these days, there's no way around it. They did their best to ruin the GOAT but luckily...

This is the only way to interact with Warcraft 3 anymore:

W3Champions

Restores battle.net to how it used to look. It's sorta like ICCUP back in Starcraft 1. This has a deep ranked ladder like in SC2, profiles, profile icons to unlock, a global ladder with about 15 servers, many more than official battle.net has. I can play with just about anyone in the world with 100-120ping for the longest distances. Has -zoom support, easily change hotkeys, ability to change inventory hotkeys which the official client still can't do. It's truly is insane what this community effort has achieved.

W3champions is truly great, they basically fixed WC3. Can not recommend enough to everyone.

And not only that, a big shout out to the creators on discord who personally take time to actually help if there's something not working even for an individual user.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I'm still amazed at how badly they fucked up WC3 Reforged.

At least they were no nonsense with the refunds on it.

Nov 4, 2017
Say I'm just interested in playing the campaigns on modern system ,will I enjoy the game? never played the original BTW.
I replayed the human campaign last year after being so disappointed with WC3 Refunded. Honestly, it holds up quite well. I was supersampling from 4k down to 1080p and it looked/ran beautifully. The only let down in my opinion is the CGI videos; they look pretty compressed and messy by today's standards. They still convey the story perfectly fine; I just feel like I'm watching a web video from 15 years ago.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
The pro tournament streams have switched back to the old graphics, thankfully.

I just want the ability to reduce the install size back down to a few GB from dozens.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
As a free update to WC3, it's pretty good, Battle.net launcher integration, proper widescreen, HD cinematics, etc, though it's missing features like a proper ladder, surprised they didn't add it back in yet.

As a paid remaster, it's pretty damn bad when compared to the 2018 Blizzcon demo, one of the biggest downgrades since Watch Dogs 2012. It's seems like such a waste of effort because the new models are super high quality, but the lighting & post processing from the 2018 demo is gone & makes the new models look like shit, like putting a high res texture in Mario 64, it just doesn't fit. The 2018 UI is gone too, which was sorely needed because WC3 came out in a time where minimalism wasn't really thought of in game design, WC3's UI is iconic, but it takes up so much screen space for no reason.

Nov 2, 2017
What makes it especially depressing is that it's obvious that the team working on it really cared. They made tons of custom models for one off characters, and adapted as much WoW lore (retcons and changes) back into WC3 as possible without it seeming completely tasteless.

I really feel like they could've knocked it out of the park if Blizzard had let them, instead of aborting it :/

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only ever cared about the single player, so the game looks good enough for me but I will never forgive them for scrapping the enhanced cutscenes. They were the entire reason I pre-ordered the game in the first place.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
I can't believe how bad the new graphics ended up being. I know they were going for some compatibility thing that probably caused some issues, but there's just no... visual clarity. You could say that the OG graphics had to be obvious because they were designed when 1024x768 was the predominant resolution, but then you look at something like Starcraft 2: marines, medics, marauders, firebats, all relatively similar sized human units, all very distinct from a distance. It's like they designed the new models for a close up view, without paying attention to how it looks at the regular camera height, when there's 30 units on screen.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
After trying out AOE2:DE, its absolutely shocking to look at Warcraft 3 reforged.
Blizzard is treating W3 community like shit.
EA used the same studio for CnC Remastered and that was perfect. It's so weird that EA and MS made awesome remasters but Blizzard totally fucked up. I have more respect for EA nowadays than Blizzard.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
I never played WC3 and I dont care about online. Loved WC2, AoE2 and Red alert 2 (dont play online) but disliked AoE3 and Red Alert 3. Would this still be an OK SP experience?