• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best version of Zack's Death?

• The Original

Votes: 184 41.1%
  • Last Order

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Crisis Core

Votes: 253 56.5%

• Total voters

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The very idea of making Zack an awesome cool dude is absurd considering that being a SOLDIER means you are working for a company that has no qualms destroying cities for their own gain. He might be a great personal friend but the point was that the company that backstabbed everyone caught up to backstab him as it should be.

From the point on that you've been a pawn in Shinra's game of chess, you are flawed. Crisis Core removed the flaws, made SOLDIER an honorable profession, and gave Zack a heroic last stand.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The very idea of making Zack an awesome cool dude is absurd considering that being a SOLDIER means you are working for a company that has no qualms destroying cities for their own gain. He might be a great personal friend but the point was that the company that backstabbed everyone caught up to backstab him as it should be.

From the point on that you've been a pawn in Shinra's game of chess, you are flawed. Crisis Core removed the flaws, made SOLDIER an honorable profession, and gave Zack a heroic last stand.

They rebranded him

I mean the entire compilation was effectively a bunch or rebranding and retconning efforts

You kind of can never recapture the magic made back in the 90s can you. I think this has kind of been the case with a lot of creative properties from that time period?

I welcome corrections on this though!

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But the hero Cloud wanted to be was Sephiroth. That's well documented by Cloud himself lol. Of course the way the remake handled Sephiroth changes the mysterious hero of the Wutai war into the sociopath that keeps ghost apparating all over the game, but for the originals sake it was obvious the mega powerful Sephiroth was Clouds primary image of strength.

When Cloud was starting his career sure, but Cloud did kill Sephiroth so that ideal was crushed. Im talking about Cloud brainwashing himself into acting like he IS Zack when he returns to Midgar, thats pretty well established, no?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
The Original is perfect. Every character doesn't need to be God-Tier anime 1 vs 100 bullshit like Crisis Core. The need to inflate the importance of these B Characters in FFVII is becoming Star Wars levels of comical.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I like how brutal the original was. Beating the few guys that chased you, then getting shot as you check on your friend thinking it's all clear, then the point blank triple tap to the chest.

crisis core was absurd.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The original by far.

Crisis Core is an embarassing mess of a game. I can't believe people were okay with Zack having dying words to Cloud and trying to push SOLDIER as something to be proud of. It ruined how fucked up it was that Clouds trauma created an imitation of his dead friend.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I don't want to insult anyone, but damn the Crisis Core ending is stupid af. The long monologue as he's dying, the 1 vs infinity showdown. Crisis Core sucked majorly. That stupid ass DBZ fight in Junon. They just cranked everything to 11 in the worst way. SOLDIER became a group of superheroes in the compilation and it's lame as hell.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
The only problem I have with Zack's OG death scene is that they made it optional for some reason. Such a great scene you can just completely miss out on.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
When Cloud was starting his career sure, but Cloud did kill Sephiroth so that ideal was crushed. Im talking about Cloud brainwashing himself into acting like he IS Zack when he returns to Midgar, thats pretty well established, no?
For sure Zack is a factor, but I always found it weak to act like he was a direct analogue. Cloud obviously acts nothing like Zack, he makes more sense to me as the amalgamation of his own insecurities tied to his admiration of Sephiroth's strength and Zack's resolve/friendship. I felt like Cloud had a small dose of Zack's attitude, mostly when around Aerith, but his cold aloofness is more clearly defined by traits he himself always had and also Sephiroth. Insecure kid + Zack + Sephiroth = EX-SOLDIER Cloud to me, personally.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For sure Zack is a factor, but I always found it weak to act like he was a direct analogue. Cloud obviously acts nothing like Zack, he makes more sense to me as the amalgamation of his own insecurities tied to his admiration of Sephiroth's strength and Zack's resolve/friendship. I felt like Cloud had a small dose of Zack's attitude, mostly when around Aerith, but his cold aloofness is more clearly defined by traits he himself always had and also Sephiroth. Insecure kid + Zack + Sephiroth = EX-SOLDIER Cloud to me, personally.

That sounds like the right ballpark, after all, hes basically a kid trying to play like the cool adults he used to admire. Plus, game wise Cloud is supposed to be the cool hero you expect from an RPG and its so, so fun to see the cracks in the facade start to get bigger and bigger when shit hits the fan.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I think the shock of what happens to Zack in the OG was a strangely affecting moment because it was so sudden. Even knowing it couldn't end well, those blocky, voiceless models speaking in a stiff 1990s translation delivered a memorable performance.
The OG. Crisis Core's ending works as a video game ending but is monstrously dumb in the wider context.
Man, I do have positive memories of CC but hindsight removes the rose tinted glasses. There was a whole lot of bizarre lore being layered into the story and that was before applying its consequences to OG FF7.

Hell, I think I only tolerated the DMV (oh man, that really was the abbreviation) until the ending and suddenly my brain is going "worth it". I wouldn't ever replay CC but it gave an intense memory of "oh shit, this is it" gameplay to story impact to really sell that dramatization.

It's funny how much Zack was a minor character in the original. So I guess that one, because that role makes the most sense for Cloud's story.
Yeah, I think for what his role was as a forgotten memory, his OG fate was appropriate. Can't close Pandora's box now though, he's been proper mythologized. The context of CC ends up clashing with how unceremonious the OG was.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
The original by far. It fell in line with the themes of loss and death being brutal and something that you can't prepare for.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the original in my most recent play through, I was kind of shocked how little his actual death impacted me. Compared to aerith's which really hurt, Zack kind of just felt like 'oh, he's gone I guess. " CC does give it more weight and probably does go further than it really should, but I definitely felt more watching that scene.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the original in my most recent play through, I was kind of shocked how little his actual death impacted me. Compared to aerith's which really hurt, Zack kind of just felt like 'oh, he's gone I guess. " CC does give it more weight and probably does go further than it really should, but I definitely felt more watching that scene.
I think this is kinda the point. There was no grand mystery behind Zack, no greater meaning to his death. He just died, and the world moved on without him. He was indirectly and accidentally responsible for the events of Final Fantasy VII, but at the end of the day he was just a dude who got caught up in some shit and dealt with it as best he could.

To me that's a much more powerful statement on life than what we got in Crisis Core.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is kinda the point. There was no grand mystery behind Zack, no greater meaning to his death. He just died, and the world moved on without him. He was indirectly and accidentally responsible for the events of Final Fantasy VII, but at the end of the day he was just a dude who got caught up in some shit and dealt with it as best he could.

To me that's a much more powerful statement on life than what we got in Crisis Core.
Maybe that's fair. It's possible my opinion was already colored by already knowing of him, so it was difficult to see it as much else than a rather anticlimactic demise for someone who I assumed would have had a bit more prevalence going in.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's fair. It's possible my opinion was already colored by already knowing of him, so it was difficult to see it as much else than a rather anticlimactic demise for someone who I assumed would have had a bit more prevalence going in.
Yeah, his importance has certainly been inflated by post-FF7 media. He's an interesting figure in the original text but not a pivotal one.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The original by such a considerable margin it isn't even funny.
FF7 did a better job summing up his story in 10 minutes than Crisis Core in 20 hours.

100% this. The elegance of how Zack's character and backstory are portrayed in the original FF7 make his death flashback extra tragic and memorable. The way the scene plays out in the OG game with no music, no dramatic edits or camera cuts, it feels almost like a pseudo-found footage shot and it works beautifully. I don't remember an immense amount of FF7 since I played it so long ago but I still remember that (optional!) flash back scene incredibly vividly.

Crisis Core in its entirety is a mess and does nothing to enhance FF7 at all, and the reinterpretation of Zack's death was literally laugh-out-loud ridiculous and melodramatic.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, Crisis Core's isn't completely unfaithful to the original. In the original he puts Cloud down and runs off screen to fight and defeat an unseen amount of troops, then he picks Cloud back up and gets taken out by 3 troops.

Crisis Core basically just shows that when he ran off screen he fought and defeated a whole army before getting taken down by the same 3 troops that took him down in the original.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Zach forever earns his death found in Crisis Core. It's fitting a character like him would meet fate in that way. Only way he was going down.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I much prefer the original. I like my Zack to be a loser who gets owned by Sephiroth in about a second (and one-upped by Cloud moments later) and then killed by a few nobodies. Turning Zack into a superhero who fights what seems to be the entire Shinra army is too much of a retcon for me.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Crisis Core. Dude is a first class soldier that fought Sephiroth and Genesis, him being able to take on hundreds of grunts isn't unbelievable.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core. Dude is a first class soldier that fought Sephiroth and Genesis, him being able to take on hundreds of grunts isn't unbelievable.

In the original game he gets unceremoniously owned by Sephiroth and Genesis doesn't exist.

Using Crisis Core's ridiculous story to justify Crisis Core's ridiculous ending is just circular logic.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
In the original game he gets unceremoniously owned by Sephiroth and Genesis doesn't exist.

Using Crisis Core's ridiculous story to justify Crisis Core's ridiculous ending is just circular logic.
Was he not a first class soldier in the original too? The games build up the Soldiers as these op people (even third class) where the grunts are afraid of them and back off.

He's not strong as Sephiroth, but he's still a first class soldier.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Was he not a first class soldier in the original too? The games build up the Soldiers as these op people (even third class) where the grunts are afraid of them and back off.

Yeah but the presentation was wildly different and they not only took extreme liberty in redepicting this bus also did so in a derivative manner

Not to mention how utterly laughable and ridiculous the writing and additions were

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Was he not a first class soldier in the original too?
He was, but in the original game there's no reason to believe First Class SOLDIERs are anything more than excellent fighters. The idea that they're superheroes came after.

Sephiroth is an exception, but even in his case he doesn't perform any particularly extraordinary feats before entering the Lifestream.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
He was, but in the original game there's no reason to believe First Class SOLDIERs are anything more than excellent fighters. The idea that they're superheroes came after.

Sephiroth is an exception, but even in his case he doesn't perform any particularly extraordinary feats before entering the Lifestream.

Well yeah

The damn monster you are chasing isnt even the original Sephiroth right?

Its a damn fragment of the alien Jenova

Corrections if im off here. Its been forever since ive done a replay of the original

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core's anime bullshit? Really? You are all lost.

He's not strong as Sephiroth, but he's still a first class soldier.

This feels dangerously close to Dragon Ball Z power level nonsense.

Remember, Sephiroth (the greatest soldier ever) was taken out by a random dude tossing his ass off a bridge. Not just a random dude, a random dude who was clearly not up to the standards of the soldier program. Zack taking out hundreds of dudes feels like something you would see in a very dumb anime. The type of anime made for children.

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah

The damn monster you are chasing isnt even the original Sephiroth right?

Its a damn fragment of the alien Jenova

Corrections if im off here. Its been forever since ive done a replay of the original

Correct. Any time you see Sephiroth outside the Northern Crater it's Jenova creating an illusion.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, how many people actually beat FF7R? Not even gonna say why but just asking, just to be sure. Yall know why I'm asking this.
This is a great point. I remember playing the original as a teenager and the Zack death having no impact. When I played Crisis Core and got to the end? It was mad depressing and it hit harder, it made Cloud a better character and it setup FF7. I just didn't care a

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, how many people actually beat FF7R? Not even gonna say why but just asking, just to be sure. Yall know why I'm asking this.

I am one of those people who thought the...
...fighting destiny...
...stuff was sorta interesting (even if it was handled awkwardly). However, the element you are referring to definitely elicited a groan from me.
Making Crisis Core's depiction canon in FF7R...
...was a terrible decision (even more so than changing the conclusion of that event). Anime was a mistake. Nomura was a mistake.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
The original was the best, it was coldblooded and grounded, more in line with the overall tone of the game and other tidbits (like Sephiroth's first demise).

Crisis Core takes a very shonen-like approach and the Kingdom Hearts influence is very strong, replace the Shinra army with a horde of heartless and give Zack a keyblade and that scene would play the same.
FF7R in many ways "suffers" from this influence aswell for many reasons I won't write here because of spoilers, all I get is that Nomura must really love Kingdom Hearts.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Last Order and CC are actually the same. Last Order shows a lot of scenes that fill in the blanks from CC, and the scene in the truck is one of them. When you see the truck drive away as Zack sets Cloud down behind a rock in CC, that's directly after they dodged the sniper shot from Last Order.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
To be fair, Crisis Core's isn't completely unfaithful to the original. In the original he puts Cloud down and runs off screen to fight and defeat an unseen amount of troops, then he picks Cloud back up and gets taken out by 3 troops.

Crisis Core basically just shows that when he ran off screen he fought and defeated a whole army before getting taken down by the same 3 troops that took him down in the original.
This too.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Can we address how infantalizing it is for posters to say Crisis Core's ending was "way too anime?"

Like, you didn't enjoy it and that's fine, but all you people are acting a fool treating people who built an emotional connection to Crisis Core like stupid people who don't respect the REAL emotional payoff compared to the DUMB prequel, get out of here.

The division isn't about people liking ANIME SHONEN GARBAGE, it's about how two different groups felt more emotionally affected by one or the other. The lack of direct emotional buildup in the OG made it shocking, Crisis Core's entire narrative built up to it being tragic, it's okay for these to be different, and disagreements over execution can be thoughtfully had.

Bringing that shit in is just another excuse to shit on people who liked Crisis Core and other compliation material as dumb people with bad taste, and those of you fully enbracing that interpretation should be ashamed of yourselves.

Most people, wether they notice it or not, are trying to cast themselves as superior when they make fun of something for being too "Anime," and it ruins discussions with pointless bickering and performative outrage and sarcasm. It's always been an "Insult," against creators and other posters, wether you realize that or not.

Guess what, we can all like these for different reasons, if you felt it ruined the original for you, focus on that rather then abjectly painting people invested in Zack as losers.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Zack is a 1st class SOLDIER operator. I feel like crisis core is what you NEED to do to take down a 1-C.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Except he managed to break outta Hojo's lab while undergoing fucked up experiments all while carrying an incapacitated Cloud. That was a superhero feat in itself.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Can we address how infantalizing it is for posters to say Crisis Core's ending was "way too anime?"

Like, you didn't enjoy it and that's fine, but all you people are acting a fool treating people who built an emotional connection to Crisis Core like stupid people who don't respect the REAL emotional payoff compared to the DUMB prequel, get out of here.

The division isn't about people liking ANIME SHONEN GARBAGE, it's about how two different groups felt more emotionally affected by one or the other. The lack of direct emotional buildup in the OG made it shocking, Crisis Core's entire narrative built up to it being tragic, it's okay for these to be different, and disagreements over execution can be thoughtfully had.

Bringing that shit in is just another excuse to shit on people who liked Crisis Core and other compliation material as dumb people with bad taste, and those of you fully enbracing that interpretation should be ashamed of yourselves.

Most people, wether they notice it or not, are trying to cast themselves as superior when they make fun of something for being too "Anime," and it ruins discussions with pointless bickering and performative outrage and sarcasm. It's always been an "Insult," against creators and other posters, wether you realize that or not.

Guess what, we can all like these for different reasons, if you felt it ruined the original for you, focus on that rather then abjectly painting people invested in Zack as losers.

Get off your high horse and stop taking it personal

Its a valid to consider Crisis core and the compilation material garbage just as much as it is valid to like it

I read people shitting all over my opinions all the time and i honestly dont expect much less on such a diverse site where there is a damn audience to appreciate even the most niche of things

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is such an absurd take when half the party worked or was adjacent to Shinra. Like do you think Cloud and Vincent need to be shot in the head?

I find all these takes about how the original is more meaningful or supposed to represent some message about life and death when you consider the fact that you then go on to playing the game and surviving way more absurd shit then anything Zack does in Crisis Core.

You fight MULTIPLE kaiju in FF7 but no Zack gets shot in the back works just because.

One of your characters is a 16 year old ninja and another is a lion wolf thing. This is not a game based on realism.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

It's a thread about which version people prefer. If you're not expecting vehement arguing about it in a thread dedicated to it... Uh sorry. You're 100% right about the reductive argument of being "anime" is weak, but it being weak doesn't change the fact that compared to the original game the prequel employs a lot of shonen tropes, such as antigravity flying battles, lengthy conversation in the midst of battle, paranormal abilities and features such as the wings, and of course, the strong person being so strong that they can literally defeat dozens and dozens of armed enemies single handedly.

So for myself, I think those are all elements that make Crisis Core significantly worse. I love anime, but those are tropes absolutely grabbed to make Zack like a shonen protagonist, and I find it tonally at odds with my experiences of the original. That there is a bigger emotional payoff doesn't mean much to me, when the journey to that payoff was filled with trite writing, poor characterizations, and unapologetically manipulating the players knowledge of how it ends to make it more effective. And I'm going to call it garbage, but if you disagree that's cool. But it doesn't change I think it's garbage, and aside from the whole game being garbage, I think specifically the bits that are retold from the original are exceptionally garbage because it employs anime tropes.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is such an absurd take when half the party worked or was adjacent to Shinra. Like do you think Cloud and Vincent need to be shot in the head?

I find all these takes about how the original is more meaningful or supposed to represent some message about life and death when you consider the fact that you then go on to playing the game and surviving way more absurd shit then anything Zack does in Crisis Core.

You fight MULTIPLE kaiju in FF7 but no Zack gets shot in the back works just because.

One of your characters is a 16 year old ninja and another is a lion wolf thing. This is not a game based on realism.

Dude a few pages back we addressed how you separatel video game logic from narrative logic as a matter of neccessity

Every video game does this.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Get off your high horse and stop taking it personal

Its a valid to consider Crisis core and the compilation material garbage just as much as it is valid to like it

I read people shitting all over my opinions all the time and i honestly dont expect much less on such a diverse site where there is a damn audience to appreciate even the most niche of things
It's less about "I feel this game's version is bad" and "painting this and all other stuff I find bad as "Anime" makes my opinion better because I'm not as immature as the kind of people who like this."

I'm seeing "Anime" and "Kingdom Hearts" thrown around a lot in discussions about FFVII Compliation material a vocal portion of posters don't like, and it's frustrating to see because the insinuation is obvious, and consistent.

Things that are Anime are terribly written garbage people with lower standards enjoy, and I, a person with refined standards, am much better for disliking.

If you haven't noticed this tone in a ton of posts people have made about even just this topic, let alone a ton of different stuff, then I suppose we can agree to disagree, as I see this consistently and I find it to be a bad tool of discussion that limits positive engagement between people.

Anime is a word that means something is stupid, in a way that's sometimes good, but most of the time is bad. This is how this word has been defined in modern times, and how it's used on this forum.

It's a thread about which version people prefer. If you're not expecting vehement arguing about it in a thread dedicated to it... Uh sorry. You're 100% right about the reductive argument of being "anime" is weak, but it being weak doesn't change the fact that compared to the original game the prequel employs a lot of shonen tropes, such as antigravity flying battles, lengthy conversation in the midst of battle, paranormal abilities and features such as the wings, and of course, the strong person being so strong that they can literally defeat dozens and dozens of armed enemies single handedly.

So for myself, I think those are all elements that make Crisis Core significantly worse. I love anime, but those are tropes absolutely grabbed to make Zack like a shonen protagonist, and I find it tonally at odds with my experiences of the original. That there is a bigger emotional payoff doesn't mean much to me, when the journey to that payoff was filled with trite writing, poor characterizations, and unapologetically manipulating the players knowledge of how it ends to make it more effective. And I'm going to call it garbage, but if you disagree that's cool. But it doesn't change I think it's garbage, and aside from the whole game being garbage, I think specifically the bits that are retold from the original are exceptionally garbage because it employs anime tropes.
That's totally fair that you believe it to be bad, and recognize a ton of dumb carry-on's from traditional Anime writting, and you are entitled to believe it's bad.

I'm more or less trying to specifically call out people trying to dismiss how these different ways Crisis Core contexualizes the events they remember as "Anime" as a way to demonstrate how dumb Crisis Core fans are for liking it.

You are welcome to point out how you feel, and I'm not trying to kick a hornets nest, but I am consistently frustrated by reductive, rude posts.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I can admit that Crisis Core is cheesy and overdone.

I don't care, it's still the hypest saddest thing and Zack is still my boy.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's less about "I feel this game's version is bad" and "painting this and all other stuff I find bad as "Anime" makes my opinion better because I'm not as immature as the kind of people who like this."

I'm seeing "Anime" and "Kingdom Hearts" thrown around a lot in discussions about FFVII Compliation material a vocal portion of posters don't like, and it's frustrating to see because the insinuation is obvious, and consistent.

Things that are Anime are terribly written garbage people with lower standards enjoy, and I, a person with refined standards, am much better for disliking.

If you haven't noticed this tone in a ton of posts people have made about even just this topic, let alone a ton of different stuff, then I suppose we can agree to disagree, as I see this consistently and I find it to be a bad tool of discussion that limits positive engagement between people.

Anime is a word that means something is stupid, in a way that's sometimes good, but most of the time is bad. This is how this word has been defined in modern times, and how it's used on this forum.

That's totally fair that you believe it to be bad, and recognize a ton of dumb carry-on's from traditional Anime writting, and you are entitled to believe it's bad.

I'm more or less trying to specifically call out people trying to dismiss how these different ways Crisis Core contexualizes the events they remember as "Anime" as a way to demonstrate how dumb Crisis Core fans are for liking it.

You are welcome to point out how you feel, and I'm not trying to kick a hornets nest, but I am consistently frustrated by reductive, rude posts.

Its not your job to tone police a thread where no one is being attacked and the rules aren't being broken

Plenty of posts went into further detail about what they mean when they make those comparisons, which aren't new btw, as shorthand for what frustrated them about CC's portrayal of the characters as well as the liberties taken with the original story