• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well, now I'm working from home I'm setting up VS Code again for my webdev shit and I completely forgot how I used to have it edit: (At work one week ago) so i'm starting from scratch lmao.

What Mono typeface is the new hotness? Bonus points for color schemes and helpful VS Code plugins.

Last edited:

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Ubuntu monospace fuckin SLAPS

I thought VS Code was for programming nerds, but I switched to it last week and holy crap is it head and shoulders above gedit/sublime/atom for log reading and scripting

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I've always loved, loved PT Mono.

You can get all the PT fonts from here (Mono, Serif, etc.) for free!

https://www.paratype.com/collections/pt/44157

Alt preview (older version?) https://fonts.google.com/specimen/PT+Mono

vs4okmd.png

Material Theme

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubuntu monospace fuckin SLAPS

I thought VS Code was for programming nerds, but I switched to it last week and holy crap is it head and shoulders above gedit/sublime/atom for log reading and scripting
... programming nerds? As opposed to what, brogrammers?

Anyway, I use Fira Code and am fairly happy with it. Monokai Pro as my color scheme. In VSCode.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

fonts.google.com

PT Mono - Google Fonts

PT Mono was developed for specific uses in forms, tables, worksheets and other contexts. Equal character widths are very helpful in setting complex documents, a

www.1001fonts.com

PT Mono Font Family · 1001 Fonts

Download PT Mono Font Family · Free for commercial use · PT Mono -- is a monospaced font of the PT Project series. First families PT Sans and PT Serif were released in 2009 and 2010. PT Mono was developed f

I
vs4okmd.png

Material Theme

My biggest pet peeve is when people use this

myFunction(){
}

instead of this

myFunction()
{
}

My brain fucks with me when reading the former

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Liberation Mono on all my text editors. I have my own colour scheme I use. I absolutely hate how most colour schemes for syntax have like fucking a million colours for everything, even things that make no sense like operators.

Too many colours makes it difficult to discern information. I use 4 colours. For example you can get my visual studio scheme here:

Weltraumbahnhof | Studio Styles

VS dark theme C#/C++

z9ArcUe.png

WH8egxD.png

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I highly recommend sticking to typefaces with wide apertures to maximize character differentiation, making it easier spot any typos. Ubuntu Mono and Fira Code (has a few small extra features vs Fira Mono) are good choices that have already been mentioned, as well as Source Code Pro.

There are paid fonts that I think might be better, but I imagine you aren't looking to drop cash on this.

OP
OP
A Strong Latte
Oct 25, 2017
There are paid fonts that I think might be better, but I imagine you aren't looking to drop cash on this.
I mean, I have VS code open every day but I'm not really at the phase in my life where I wanna drop 80bucks for cursive monospace ls

It's kind of annoying that whatever the default font on this site is has the straight lowercase l. I Hate it

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

fonts.google.com

PT Mono - Google Fonts

PT Mono was developed for specific uses in forms, tables, worksheets and other contexts. Equal character widths are very helpful in setting complex documents, a

www.1001fonts.com

PT Mono Font Family · 1001 Fonts

Download PT Mono Font Family · Free for commercial use · PT Mono -- is a monospaced font of the PT Project series. First families PT Sans and PT Serif were released in 2009 and 2010. PT Mono was developed f

vs4okmd.png

Material Theme

Ohh shit this is the way!
Stolen and set up.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I mean, I have VS code open every day but I'm not really at the phase in my life where I wanna drop 80bucks for cursive monospace ls

It's kind of annoying that whatever the default font on this site is has the l I problem

I'd never recommend a cursive font for programming. I am not a monster.

Also this site uses Roboto. Ambiguous characters are obnoxious—luckily I don't think I've ever seen a monospace typeface with that issue.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
I used for a while SF Mono:

b08QHtc.png

But recently I've become more partial to JetBrains Mono:

jArQmMh.png

Both fonts are nice, I just like to change it up every once in a while...