• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got the X900H this past week and I'm loving it. $999 for the 55" at Best Buy and it'll have HDMI 2.1 coming in a firmware update at some point this year. OLEDs are great but they're just too expensive for me right now, plus burn-in kind of freaks me out.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
X900H is probably the bang-for-buck champ. And then you have the CX if you can afford the upgrade and have zero burn-in concerns.
yeah I got the X900E 75" and after 3 years am still super happy with it at the price. I would love to have an OLED instead, though burn in is a deal breaker for me since I use my TV as my main PC Screen. With at least 5 hours of static sections displayed per day, usually more. Oh and I like that the Sony gets to actual 1k nits, the oleds don't get that bright, so there's that.
I'll probably get the X950G next year for the full hdmi 2.1 support at 85" (there's only up in terms of size lol)

Telecinision

Aug 22, 2018
X900F might still be a better bang for the buck mid-range option if you can still find any sets. 65" is at $1019.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I love my C9 but do wish it was brighter and I find it has a tinge of blurriness but that could be the content. Sometimes I'll spot an LED at work or in a showroom and I can more easily point out some small details in the picture.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So, what TVs do you guys upgrade to? I am looking into a Samsung QLED or LG OLED, still unsure which to get. I don't really wanna pay more than 1200€, any recommendations for TVs to watch for sales etc.?
I am thinking Samsung Q70-series:

I recently purchased a 65" Q70 Samsung and I absolutely love it. I cost around $1,399 USD

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I got the X900H this past week and I'm loving it. $999 for the 55" at Best Buy and it'll have HDMI 2.1 coming in a firmware update at some point this year. OLEDs are great but they're just too expensive for me right now, plus burn-in kind of freaks me out.

I have the X950G but I also love it. I assume the 900H offers some improvements in picture as well as HDMI 2.1, so boom!

I know we're an enthusiast forum, but I feel like not enough folks recognize the value of a good mid to upper-mid range TV like this. High end isn't the only option!

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
I have a Samsung Q90R and it's amazing. Esp. HDR stuff looks beyond awesome. Granted, it can't do 120 Fps because it's lacking HDMI 2.1 but alas. There won't be many 120 FPS games next gen anyway other than some racing games and MAYBE Sports games.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting dizzy looking at some of these prices lol. I'm in the market now for a television(mine died after 2 years). I need something in the $500 range lmao.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

I heard they were expensive.
I was fully expecting to need a newer high bandwidth HDMI 2 cable to be able to do 4K 60 Hz, but my decade old HDMI 1.4 cables from Monoprice get the job done. I already had ordered the Premium high speed cables though, and you can get one for like $15 anyway, so should you need a newer high bandwidth cable you can find one for a reasonable price.

Bottom like is don't always buy into the cable specifications as an older lower specced cable just might be able to work just fine. (I haven't tried this old cable with 4K 120 Hz so who knows how it holds up there).

On topic though, I just got a LG C9 for dumb cheap (relatively) at a local Costco and couldn't recommend it more. The newer CX is better but I don't think you're missing out on much with the C9.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was fully expecting to need a newer high bandwidth HDMI 2 cable to be able to do 4K 60 Hz, but my decade old HDMI 1.4 cables from Monoprice get the job done. I already had ordered the Premium high speed cables though, and you can get one for like $15 anyway, so should you need a newer high bandwidth cable you can find one for a reasonable price.

Bottom like is don't always buy into the cable specifications as an older lower specced cable just might be able to work just fine. (I haven't tried this old cable with 4K 120 Hz so who knows how it holds up there).

On topic though, I just got a LG C9 for dumb cheap (relatively) at a local Costco and couldn't recommend it more. The newer CX is better but I don't think you're missing out on much with the C9.
I need to find a good deal for a C9, but it seems to be pricey every here in the UK.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I love my C9 but do wish it was brighter and I find it has a tinge of blurriness but that could be the content. Sometimes I'll spot an LED at work or in a showroom and I can more easily point out some small details in the picture.
Hmm, the only blurriness I get is from cable TV content, but that's not unexpected. It was really bad with the old FiOS boxes I had, but I recently switched to the FiOS One boxes and the picture is much clearer, though it's still obviously highly compressed video in likely old MPEG 2 format.

I followed recommended settings and don't have it set super bright unless HDR kicks in, but still find SDR content bright enough (for SDR I use OLED Light 70, Contrast 90, Brightness 50, Gamma 2.2, Peak Brightness High).

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a Sony AG8 65" OLED and it looks stunning. Doesn't have 2.1 tho and fairly long input lag with 39ms in gaming mode.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony just announce two TVs specifically designed for the next generation? You might want to check these out.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I went 3 weeks ago to best buy in Ottawa here in Canada, to see the LG C9 in person and they had none on demo. I asked them just to be sure and the person told me they were not putting anymore of those on display as they were making space for other tv's.. :(

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
I have seen people recommending Sony, so I hope that anyone here can help me with a problem I have.

I recently bought a Sony X900F, and with my Xbox One X with YCC 4:2:2 off (unchecked) and 8-bit selected the HDMI randomly looses connection and the screen flickers, showing that top bar with the resolution and everything. Changing to 10-bit seems to solve that problem, but as mentioned in first post then I am limited to 4:2:0.

I believe this works because with 10-bit 4:2:0 the signal needs less bandwidth than 8-bit 4:4:4, but is this the best solution?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have seen people recommending Sony, so I hope that anyone here can help me with a problem I have.

I recently bought a Sony X900F, and with my Xbox One X with YCC 4:2:2 off (unchecked) and 8-bit selected the HDMI randomly looses connection and the screen flickers, showing that top bar with the resolution and everything. Changing to 10-bit seems to solve that problem, but as mentioned in first post then I am limited to 4:2:0.

I believe this works because with 10-bit 4:2:0 the signal needs less bandwidth than 8-bit 4:4:4, but is this the best solution?

Are you using the official Xbox hdmi cable? That is the kind of thing you'll get with either a faulty/cheap/long cable

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That is important if you're willing to use this TV for 4K@120Hz content.
It's also kinda important if you're planning on using it with 4K@60Hz+HDR content.
VRR requires 120Hz support to work correctly. It's not just for 120 FPS games.
Typical televisions have a minimum refresh rate of 40Hz or 48Hz.
A range of at least 2.5× is required to use Low Framerate Compensation and stay active at frame rates below the minimum supported refresh rate.
  • 40–60 Hz VRR = 40–60 FPS range.
  • 48–120 Hz VRR = 0–120 FPS range via LFC.
This is because LFC can display 47 FPS at 94 Hz, 46 FPS at 92 Hz, and so on, with the second display.

Well until that patch for the x900h that is
The X900H does not compete with the C9/CX OLEDs. It is a mid-range TV not high-end.
It's not a bad TV at all, but in some regions the price is almost the same as OLED for the 55"/65" models. I can actually get a B9 OLED for less than the X900H where I am.

The C9 can decode DTS internally and has some higher bandwidth hdmi sockets which allow it to handle content beyond what it can otherwise actually display. The Cx appears to hold back a little on brightness too, so it's likely to be less prone to burn in.
So not a great deal.
  • The CX has double the motion resolution of the C9 when BFI is enabled at its maximum setting in 60Hz.
  • BFI is supported at 120Hz on the CX and not at all on the C9.
  • The CX also has smoother gradation near black.
Note that enabling BFI will reduce the brightness and cause the image to flicker - that's just how it works.
Unfortunately LG's implementation of BFI at 60Hz is limited, so only the highest setting is useful - and that one cuts out the most light.
With a better implementation the low/medium settings could also have been useful (refreshing at 60Hz rather than 120Hz) but with more light output.

And difference to B9?
B9 has lower quality image processing - mainly seen as worse gradation near black compared to the C9.
But it's still an OLED, and is still going to beat something like the X900H.

OLEDs have the highest pixel-level contrast of any display. If the image is sharper on something else, it's probably image sharpening processing being applied by the TV rather than the display panel.

i play at my desk, but mount my tvs to the wall so they are about 3-4 ft away. ideally want a 40inch max. whats my best option?
There was some discussion here recently:
www.resetera.com

What’s a good 32” screen for next gen PS5?

I’ll be sitting quite close to the screen so I don’t need anything bigger than 32” as it’ll just be too big for the distance I’ll be sat just about 3-4 feet away. I want a decent screen that will be hdr, 4k, low input latency, OLED and maybe (but not essential) hdmi 2.1 what are my options?
The short answer is that there's nothing really good until you get to the 48" CX OLED.
48" at a desk is difficult, but it's possible to make it work if you do things like getting a keyboard tray/arm to push things back another foot, and a chair which is made to be ergonomic while reclining.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'll stick with Sony 900E that I bought in 2018. Hamilton looks utterly incredible in it, same with GoTsushima and TLOU2 (and those are upressed on a ps4 slim). Most games won't go over 60 fps and a lot of UBI games probably won't break 30 fps

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Could probably get a C9 for a big discount this Black Friday.

I don't know if Black Friday is going to be a thing this year, which makes my decision whether to hold off on a CX until then tougher. You would think chains aren't going to do crazy doorbuster sales and encourage large groups of people to show up at stores, so is it safe to assume online sales will still be pretty good to make up for it? (i could see that one going either way; curious to see whether deep sales for a few days would help or hurt when the economy has been performing so badly all year long)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
i play at my desk, but mount my tvs to the wall so they are about 3-4 ft away. ideally want a 40inch max. whats my best option?
Your best option isn't a TV as they don't manufacture TV's that small with 4K and HDR (unless you go real cheap with a monitor and want Display HDR 400 or less and most are 1440p at 32"). You'll be looking at monitors and the smallest is 43 inches, but if you want something that can actually do HDR then the Acer Predator CG437K is something you may want to look into. It's 43" and is now $999. It can push out nearly 1300 nits of peak brightness in HDR and it has local dimming albeit edge-lit. It also has a 120hz panel that is overclockable to 144hz and has VRR (and comes with a remote), but can only do 1440p at 120hz over HDMI 2.0 and full 4K at 120hz with Display Port 1.4. I'd suggest checking out reviews for it.

Alternatively, you could look at the TCL 43" 5-Series (if you live in the U.S.). The 2019 model only gets up to 300 nits of peak brightness and lacks local dimming (two things the 2020 model should solve since it has local dimming and gets brighter then the 2019 model). It's $299 right now.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
LG OLED is the obvious answer, but I am going to pick up a Sony 75" 900H here in the coming weeks. My budget is around $2k and I decided I would rather get a 75 inch with no burn-in risk than get a 65 inch. But that is personal preference based on budget and room choice. OLED is obviously the #1 choice but I wanted to chime in since I will be an owner soon and did quite a bit of research. The 900H should be a great TV. Upcoming Vizio OLEDs and Quantum X seem interesting as well.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo, with Next-Gen dawning I want to upgrade my TV, and probably many others too.
I think the most important things are:
- HDR
- QLED or OLED
- HDMI 2.1(?) - unclear how important that is
- low input lag / reaction times.
- 65"

So, what TVs do you guys upgrade to? I am looking into a Samsung QLED or LG OLED, still unsure which to get. I don't really wanna pay more than 1200€, any recommendations for TVs to watch for sales etc.?
I am thinking Samsung Q70-series:

or
one of these OLEDS? (this one is 55", 65" OLEDS are crazy expensive... ):

Both should be within 1200€ around November I guess? Latest at Black Friday?

wait for vizio reviews

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
True. I don't expect VRR to play a big role in this upcoming gen though - to a point where 120 Hz fixed titles will probably be more widespread than those with unlocked framerates targeting VRR.
I have no faith in games suddenly being able to hold a perfectly-locked 30/60/120 FPS, and VRR also enables developers to target other fixed frame rates in-between those values (when connected to a VRR display).

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
The x900h is a fantastic tv. I've had it longer than most. Dont let people peer pressure you into buying an oled especially if you have a fear of burn in. This tv is more than good enough trust me. Especially if you are in an area where the price difference is pretty big.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I have no faith in games suddenly being able to hold a perfectly-locked 30/60/120 FPS
VRR doesn't help with microstutters or sudden hitches. What it can help with is with games running at 30-45 or 45-60 fps. But this must be targeted by a game to work and with most users not having VRR capable displays I doubt that many will.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Same question. Would probably choose a C9.

But then again..I own an Samsung KS7000 ( still in great shape ) and I don't think there will be loads of games making use of the HDMI 2.1 features.

I expect most games to be 4K/30 or 4K/60 anyway, so I might hold of buying a new TV and might buy the PS5 and Xbox Series X ( instead of buying a PS5 and a TV ).

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on Philips TVs these days? Was the other day at a mall and saw they make oled TVs as well, not sure how good or bad they may be

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just purchased a 48CX for my games room/office. Absolutely astonishing TV.

What's the consensus on Philips TVs these days? Was the other day at a mall and saw they make oled TVs as well, not sure how good or bad they may be

If you'd have asked me 6 months ago, I'd have said go for it. I've got a 55" 803 OLED in my living room, and it's been fantastic. Unfortunately it's developed a fault with displaying HDR content, and they're refusing to accept that it's an issue.

EvilBoris - would you concur that this behaviour is not "Just how OLED is"? :P

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If anyone is looking to buy the C9/B9 do not wait until black Friday for a better deal. The TV will be sold out by then. They are already getting hard to find.