• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• The Sopranos

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • The Wire

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Mad Men

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Deadwood

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • The Americans

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Dark (Netflix)

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the mood to start a new show. There is quite a bit I haven't seen as evidenced by the poll. I love Breaking Bad, Lost, Fargo, Cowboy Bebop, Better Call Saul and Twin Peaks just to name a few. I don't mind something that's longer, and I have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO Max and Disney Plus.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you can't really go wrong with any of them (although I haven't seen Americans myself). I'd say Sopranos or The Wire have to be top of the list, although I also found Deadwood and Dark fantastic.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The correct answer, of course, is you should watch more Korean/Taiwanese/Japanese dramas.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
As much as I love the Wire and Deadwood, I'm putting a vote in for Mad Men.

Mad Men has the best character development in television history, hands down. Seeing how the characters grew and matured over the entire series is an absolute delight.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The Americans is my favorite TV series ever, but I'd say go with either Sopranos or Mad Men, and then watch the other.

You really can't get better than any of that.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The Americans was the last really great show I've watched. The Wire is also a great choice though, so either of those. All on the list are great actually, but make it one of those two first.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I will say, I made it through half of season 2 of The Wire a couple year ago. I loved the first season but found the 2nd an absolute slog.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, I made it through half of season 2 of The Wire a couple year ago. I loved the first season but found the 2nd an absolute slog.

S2 has a real slow start but I thought the payoff was really well done. I thought the last few episodes of S2 were damn good.

But yeah, watch The Wire. I think it's probably the best written TV show I've ever seen.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The Sopranos is the best show ever, but I want to cast a vote for the French show The Bureau. Top stuff.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
The Sopranos, Mad Men and Deadwood are 3 of my favorite shows ever. But for me Deadwood is my #1. The characters and writing, especially the dialogue is unmatched. The setting feels more alive and real than any other show I've seen.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Wire is the best thing on that list. Check out Succession too since you have HBO Max.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
IMO The Wire peaks in season 1, and I find it to be pretty overrated as a whole. The last season is terrible.

I'm a fan of all the shows you said you like and I recommend Deadwood.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Votes Sopranos but The Wire is a good pick as well. In fact the whole list is worth the watch!

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
I had no idea Americans was that good. Will add to my list after finishing Line of Duty (which is my recommendation) as well as Dark.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
The Wire
The Soprano's
Deadwood

Only of the ones you've listed that I've seen.. watch in the above order (imo).

I'm actually re-watching The Soprano's right now and still love it.

Have you seen West Wing by chance?