• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
As in the commercial looked amazing, you wanted it, and you bought it/parents bought it/got it for a birthday gift, etc.

For me, I grew up watching A LOT of TV and commercials sure sold me on toys, cereal, snacks, whatever! I only ever got a fraction of stuff I actually wanted, some of it good, some of it sucked. So what stuff did you end up getting, based on the awesome commercials, and also, was it worth it and live up to your commercial hype? Bonus if anyone actually got Crossfire >_>

Grape Escape
This board game looked AWESOME! Got it for Christmas and it suuuuucked... Thinly tied together with elastic bands and did NOT run nearly as good as it looked. My mom even mailed in a complaint to the company, and we got an apology letter, and a box sent to us of around 50 packs of Lion King pogs (something like that, it felt like that much as a kid). I had almost the entire set except for like 2 after that.

13 Dead End Drive
Another board game, 2 years later. Christmas gift, and this one was actually a lot of fun! My friends and I sometimes would just mess around with the traps if we weren't playing the actual game. Easy to put together and worked well.

Dunkaroos
Huge hit at school, this commercial got so many of us, cause frosting is AMAZING as a kid! Most of my friends had this for recess and we all loved it :x

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

This came on one night while I was watching TV with my parents and my dad saw how excited I got so he grabbed the remote and slowly starting turning up the volume so at the end when it was reaching the climax and it said, "Now you're playing with Power, Super Power!" it was blaring and I was going nuts. He just laughed and said I'd have to wait till Christmas.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I sold my NES and bought a Turbografx-16 over a Sega Genesis, because of the commercials.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you like it? My friend had a Talk Girl that we would play with sometimes. They actually had a Talk Boy at PRGE. Lots of people were asking about it apparently, but no one wanted it for the $65 asking price :/
honestly, it didnt live up to the hype. I pretty much ended up just using it to make fart noises to annoy my sister.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin Fireball Island, 1992.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c)

I wanted this game *more than anything* as an 8 year old that Christmas. The game really sucked, but the idea of knocking off my foes using marbles as they crossed a plastic bridge was all that I wanted.

Talkboy also worked on me but it was because of Home Alone 2,m whcih was basically a walking advertisement for the Talk Boy. Thankfully a friend of mine had one and we used it to make prank calls and the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If you weren't alive then, you don't know how cool this commercial truly was.

I barely knew what Listerine was, but I wanted it so bad.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Much better those those creepy violent PSAs that came later... These were just a "go outside and stop watching too much tv, kids" PSAs. Some of my friends were legit confused back then, but I was way into Zoology research to know it wasn't real.

Fuckin Fireball Island, 1992.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c)

I wanted this game *more than anything* as an 8 year old that Christmas. The game really sucked, but the idea of knocking off my foes using marbles as they crossed a plastic bridge was all that I wanted.

I think I remember this one and it looked fun, but I wasn't too interested in it. Commercial did it's job for sure!

If you weren't alive then, you don't know how cool this commercial truly was.

I barely knew what Listerine was, but I wanted it so bad.

Lol... Never saw this, so here I thought it was going to be a merch tie-in with Disney's Tarzan movie, since you always see cartoon characters on kid's toothbrushes/toothpaste and such.