• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Essential?

• Screwdrivers (Phillips and standard)

Votes: 214 94.7%
  • Measuring tape

Votes: 169 74.8%
  • Hammer

Votes: 176 77.9%
  • Pliers/Needle-nose pliers

Votes: 154 68.1%
  • Ratchets

Votes: 80 35.4%
  • Power drill

Votes: 104 46.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 24 10.6%

• Total voters

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just unjammed a shredder by pulling out the jam with needle-nose pliers.

I'm not really a maintenance or DIY type of guy, but I'm fortunate enough that I can afford to buy tools even if they just offer a marginal advantage, so I now own quite a few.

That said, I find myself coming back to the same ones for most jobs:
  • Screwdrivers (Phillips and standard)
  • Pliers
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Tape measure
  • Hammer
  • Razor blade
  • Instant epoxy
I don't know that that last one is a tool, per se, but I use it a lot.

These are the tools I use all the time and would consider essential to own.

What about you?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Power drill
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Measuring tape
Level
Hammer

I seem to use these every week.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
All of the options a decent set of Allen keys, spanner set or a couple of different size adjustable spanners and some pump pliers.

Jul 3, 2019
Don't have a hammer? Use a skillet lol.
Also you don't "need" a power drill. Just put some elbow grease into that screwdriver.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Power drills are not essential for most households, they are super convenient though.
The essentials would be:

1. Screwdrivers, primarily Phillips
2. Hammer
3. Pliers, including needle nose
4. Measuring tape
5. Allen wrench set

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Screwdriver
Measuring tape
Pliers
Hammer

Any other tools whether powered or not will make some tasks easier but aren't necessary.

I've got a bigass electric chainsaw and a concrete breaker but that's only because it was cheaper to buy them outright than rent for the time I needed to use them lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much the list except a ratchet set/ power drill, replaced with allen wrenches as others have pointed out.

Jul 3, 2019
Impact driver, sure, but you're not going to put a usable hole into a surface with just a screwdriver.

Oh I totally have, I ended up sending a screw through a metal pipe in the wall once. Should've realized when I had so much resistance lol. Funny thing is though that I screwed it in so tightly that it never leaked, didn't notice until I removed it and a concentrated stream of water blasted through right in my face.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Essential essential?
Screwdrivers.

I've managed some really dodgy workarounds for most tools (like when I didn't have a hammer, there were a few objects that worked) but when there was no screwdriver, I gave up and went to the store.

Buying a power drill was my favourite purchase though, not "essential" but so damn convenient.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
A plunger is a tool and is more goddamn essential than anything else that has been mentioned so far. Try living in your own place without a plunger, you'll end up in deep shit, literally.

Another thing that isn't mentioned that a lot of households likely don't have is a no-contact voltage tester. They're cheap, they can tell you if an outlet or wire is live. Don't screw around with live wires folks.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you talking about, drilling for mounting something on a stud? I use a screwdriver all of the time to drive screws into usable holes.
Like, recently, I drilled some holes into a stucco wall to install a doorbell. I don't see bring able to do that with just a screwdriver, even with drill-tipped screws.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Other essential "tools" that you need to have: a glue gun, WD40 and some duct tape.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Other essential "tools" that you need to have: a glue gun, WD40 and some duct tape.

I don't know if it's really essential, but the old saying regarding duct tape is pretty much true. It's basically a utility belt all on its own.

Like, recently, I drilled some holes into a stucco wall to install a doorbell. I don't see bring able to do that with just a screwdriver, even with drill-tipped screws.

Neither do I, although your situation seems rather uncommon. I was thinking more along the lines of wood/other material up to a certain density, which is extremely common in most homes and furniture. Materials like stucco, concrete and brick? No, but how often do people normally have to screw into those surfaces at home on a regular basis anyway?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I voted for all of them.

I'd add:
Flashlight / headlamp
Allen wrench set
Level
Wire cutters / stripper
Safety items: gloves, glasses, ear muffs

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from what you already listed OP'; My Makita power drill has been my best purchase for my home. Has helped me in multiple projects (deck, walls, furniture, roof, school projects) I would deem it essential and convenient.

Essentials for the main essentials of my house:

For Bathrooms:
Ratchet/Wrenches
Plumber's putty
Hacksaw (for pipe work)

For electrical work:
Electrical tape
Box of Plastic wire caps
Outlet tester
Wire cutters w crimper

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
86914d137443c4c4041b48f1cc6fc7f7_view.jpg

A Leatherman Wave is a good start.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Decent screwdrivers for sure. A claw hammer is worth having but you'll probably use it less than you think. Fine pliers or tweezers have tons of uses - fiddling with a laptop, yanking staples, making gunpla or deboning fish. A rasp is nice but sandpaper or a whetstone will cover most jobs. If you have a garden it's worth buying a decent saw and keeping it in good shape. I wouldn't want to be without a measuring tape - for curtain drops or my ever-expanding fat arse :(

Kitchen tools are a far more serious issue lol. I'd be interested to see what folks think are invaluable in that arena...

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
All of those tools mentioned in the OP plus

-channellocks
-adjustable wrenches
-sae and mm open end wrenches
-6 in 1 screwdriver
-pipe wrench
-hex key set
-level
-metal file
-tube cutters
-portable bandsaw

Last edited:

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Everything in that poll is basically essential, throw in at least a jigsaw and you'll probably be covered for most things.