• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
So with the New year coming up and faced with some time off, I decided to go through the storage room in the garage. I now have a pile of old gaming stuff that I honestly have no idea what to do with, so I'm hopeful that ERA can help me figure out how to dispose of it responsibly. A few questions:
  • I have a Wii that I haven't hooked up in at least five years. The video card in it was showing signs of going faulty, with what looked like tiny black dots all over the screen. I no longer have a TV with component inputs, so I can't hook it up to test it. Do I just recycle it?
  • I have an original PlayStation model (not the PSOne) from around 1998, but again no TV to which I can hook it up. Are these models worth anything?
  • I have both a launch Xbox and a launch Xbox 360 (that never red-ringed). I assume the 360 is essentially worthless but is the OG Xbox worth taking to a used speciality store (i.e. not Gamestop) in the middle of a pandemic for credit?
  • Is there a market for rarish PSP UMDs? Stuff like Atlas games and Tales of Eternia EU import and Star Ocean games? I was saddened to see the battery expanded in my PSP and it is well and truly gone, so again, no way of testing the UMDs to see if they work.
  • I also pruned my 360 and OG Xbox game collections. Is it worth hauling some of the more common games to Gamestop or another reseller? I'm keeping some of the backward compatible games and may buy a One S down the road to play them
Any insight that can be provided would be appreciated.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A great way to get a sense of what your stuff is worth is to search it on eBay and set the filter to Sold items only. This will show you what the items have sold for in the last few months and give you a sense if they're worth selling.

However, if you bury them in the earth and care for the land, a great gaming tree will grow in its place. This is our gift to our children, it is all we can leave them.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Most of what you have there isn't probably worth much. You've basically got yard sale material.

That said, double check regarding PSP stuff. That might have some value.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
You can get a replacement battery for your PSP for a song.

As for the rest, your OG Xbox is precious, the rest isn't, sadly.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Anything you think is broken might not be worth much. If you're willing to sell these ebay can be a good place. Though involves some hassle in setting up listings and dealing with buyers. When I got rid of some old PS3/PS2/DS stuff back in the day I used estarland.com. Shipped off my stuff and got trade in credit.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In my opinion...

- Donate the Wii or find a friend/family member who could get some use out of it, maybe for a younger kid since the video isn't perfect. Otherwise, if it's too much trouble, just donate it.
- Some people like old PS1s for the nostalgia. Check your local Craigslist/FB Marketplace and compare prices/condition/bundles/etc.
- The OG Xbox has a decent modding scene behind it so maybe look into that. Not the most sought-after system but I think it's a similar situation to the PS1. 360 might get you something at Gamestop but I wouldn't bet on much.
- Try selling the UMDs on eBay or Amazon, could be specific ones that are sought after.
- Common games won't get you much regardless of where you take them, but sometimes quantity over quality is nice. Gamestop could take them, but check online for prices first. Might be okay to donate as well.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want them sitting around, and can't be bothered to put them on an online marketplace (ebay, facebook, craigslist, etc) just take them to any gaming shop you may have nearby and take what you are offered. Out of sight out of mind

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can check pricecharting.com for the value of the PSP stuff to see if it's worth selling on eBay. You can also try selling through the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in Gaming Hangouts. I've done a few purchases through there and it's been great.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Some original Playstations have value for modding with HDMI, but I think it really depends on the model.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
For the component items like PlayStation and Wii, you can actually purchase a cheap component-to-HDMI converter. That's what I did so I could hook my N64 and GameCube up to my tv. I got one on Amazon for $15.

As for your stuff... it's likely not very valuable. The hassle of trying to get rid of it all probably wouldn't be worth what you'd be getting back from it. But money is money, and anything is better than nothing I guess, which is what you're getting from it just sitting in storage collecting dust.

Oct 30, 2017
there is a buy/sell/trade thread here on resetera, anything you can't test you can designate as such and sold as is. otherwise, ebay same thing

OP
OP

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
So I'm pleasantly shocked at some of the prices I see for games on eBay, PSP games especially. All the Atlus games I have are selling for $50 minimum, with a couple over $100. I'm even surprised by the prices of original Xbox games. Halo 2 Limited Steelbook is going for $20. Beyond Good and Evil going for $15. Super Paper Mario for the Wii -- $15.

I talked to my wife who sells tons of stuff on eBay and she said she'll list anything I think can sell for over $10. We'll see how it goes. Obviously, not looking to get rich or anything, but if I can get something out of my collection to maybe defray some of the costs of a Series X, it'll be worth it.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I've taken old consoles up to the hospital and donated them before for the children's ward.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Id take them to specialty collectible places. I have a few that I've considered donating some of my old toys still taking up room. I'd never give away my video games, but I see they have large stocks there, so a lot of people must have done that.

OP
OP

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
Just a quick update on my video game collection. A few weeks ago my wife was selling some of our old kids clothes at a consignment sale so I rummaged through the boxes and found all the games (sports titles, Call of Duty, etc) that effectively have no value and listed them for either $2.50 or $5.00. There were 19 titles in all and flagged the games for donation if they didn't sell. Ended up selling 8 of them for a total of $25.00

Yesterday my wife started listing individual titles on various online outlets. She told me basically anything that would sell for over $15 would be worth her time to list. On the first day we sold five games at a total sell price of $415.

Once you deduct fees and expenses, we've pocketed about $362. Not bad, so far. I say "we" because my wife has informed me that her commission for listing titles is 20%. I will be trying to negotiate that down to 15%. :)

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I always just eBay anything that will sell for enough to be worth the hassle. I.e. make $20 or more in profit after fees etc., maybe less for games since less hassle just putting those in a bubble mailer and dropping in a mailbox.

Stuff worth little just gets donated somewhere. Usually Goodwill as it's the closest/most convenient and we drop stuff a couple times a year like clothing or kitchen things we replaced/upgraded etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I should really do the same. The only thing I have that's really worth much is my GameCube with the gameboy adaptor plus the disc (which apparently is the hardest thing to come by) and maybe a few "collector" editions of games like that dual fire emblem cart for 3DS I never played