• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you open presents on Christmas?

• Midnight

Votes: 57 19.2%
  • In the Morning

Votes: 237 79.8%
  • I don't celebrate Christmas

Votes: 19 6.4%

• Total voters

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Was discussing with my friend about the presents we got for Christmas, and she thought it was weird that we opened our presents on Christmas Eve, instead of waiting for the morning of the 25th.

Since I was a little kid, my family always opened gifts at Midnight. Bring the whole family around the tree, kill time for a while, and countdown until the clock hit 12:00, and then we pass and exchange gifts and say thanks before going to bed.

Is that not normal? Always could have sworn it was.

ERA, make me feel normal. Or expose me for being strange. I dunno MERRY CHRISTMAS

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I come from an Italian family. We open presents on Christmas Eve after the Feast of Seven Fishes dinner. Christmas day is actually not a big deal with us.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
We open up some at my mom's house in the morning and then head to my dad's house to open up some more early afternoon.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
When the kids wake up 😊

Stockings first, then an awesome breakfast, then to the Christmas tree presents.

It's going to be a great Christmas!

Oct 27, 2017
Newer traditions - family on Christmas Eve, Santa and visitors on Christmas day.

There is also Boxing Day and other holiday celebrations in the couple of weeks before and after December 25th, poll needs some extension.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Midnight. We used open them in the morning when I was younger but once I could stay away until midnight, it was always midnight.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Usually when we get home from spending the evening at my cousin's house on Christmas Eve. Sometimes it bleeds over past midnight but usually it's at like 10pm.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Back when I was a kid it was grandparents and extended family on Christmas Eve then close family Christmas morning. Now I'm on my own and living thousands of miles away so no more presents.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
When I was younger we used to open gifts on Christmas Day. But it's almost always during the evening on Christmas Eve now. I wish I was still a kid so I could get gifts On three Kings day too lol.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We chose one present to open on Christmas Eve, then the rest in the morning. I always tried to size up my presents and open the one I wanted the most on Christmas Eve but I rarely guessed right.

I see opening everything on the 24th as a problem because then you dont have much time to enjoy your presents before going to bed.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Culturally in Europe, most people exchange gifts on Christmas Eve (literally evening). The big meal is on Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve is the day of celebration, where Christmas day is family outings, meeting more family, etc. Christmas day is really just another day. Of course nowadays for many of us it is just tradition, not really a religious observation.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
We open our gifts at midnight, get drunk, have a massive party with music until like 5-6 am. Then, throughout Christmas Day we just have a large family gathering eating breakfast, lunch and dinner while dealing with hangovers.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
In the morning. Our daughter is allowed to open her stocking whenever she gets up but we open gifts once my wife and I get up and make coffee. I'm curious how long she'll let us sleep in this year.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Usually not long after we wake up. Depends if we sleep in or not. Morning or early afternoon.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Stockings after the kids wake up on Christmas morning, then presents immediately after.

When I was a kid we'd get a present to open on Christmas Eve, which always ended up being new pajamas. I didn't appreciate them much then, but that sounds pretty damn good these days.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Usually on Christmas morning, but if we are very very busy with preparations (the years we host the family gathering at our place), we postpone either when the others arrive or in the evening when everyone is gone.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Midnight? Da fuq?

Anyways we have multiple Christmas Events.

We opened presents from my family Christmas Eve.

We open Santa presents and presents for the kids in the morning

Then we host Christmas dinner for my wife's family with more presents

Renpatsu

Oct 25, 2017
With the way our family celebrates Christmas well into the night, sometimes we end up opening our presents on Boxing Day judging by the clock.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
We always open them on midnight christmas eve. Might be a mexican/hispanic thing since almost everyone i know does it xmas eve.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
All the celebration including presents happen on christmas eve. Christmas day morning is for waking up with a slight hangover after the family celebrations the night before.

Incidentally, it's christmas day morning here right now, and I've just woken up with a slight hangover from the family celebrations last night, so I guess everything is in order.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I know most of Europe opens gifts on Christmas Eve but how does Santa come into play there? As a kid it was magical waking up in the morning and discovering that Santa had visited. So how does that work over there?

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
9pm on Christmas Eve in my family. Christmas is rung in at 6pm on Christmas Eve, with dinner starting at 7pm, followed by reading Christmas cards after dinner, and then opening the presents.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Gifts and cards are exchanged and opened on arrival. Most of us are adults and we're a cash-in-cards family.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Sometime in the evening of the 24th, no fixed time as such

The Santa in Europe discussion is fairly diverse depensing on where in Europe. The Dutch stay true to the original Saint Nick on the 6th rather than christmas, orthodox have father frost and from my experience German speaking places tend to have the Christkind instead of a man. Really depends on what religious influence your region was under.
At least thats my understanding of it all