• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
So yeah, I got asked for ID today when buying some alcohol, I'm in my mid thirties.

It seems to strangers I have a young looking face, even though I have a beard.

Should note that UK shops operate on a challenge 25 policy, the legal age for buying alcohol is 18, but you can be asked for ID if staff believe you look under 25.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
30. In Germany, buying beer which you have to be 16+ for. I get it, masks and all but hey, I don't look 15.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got asked for it while buying booze at a supermarket when I was 30 last year (UK) - it was literally a "bottle of wine with the rest of my shopping" type of situation as well.

Weirdly though I've not been asked for ID at a bar for at least a decade.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
From the other side: I carded anyone who wasn't greying. I ain't getting fired/fined for some secret shopper bullshit.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got carded to get into an R-rated movie a few years ago when I was 38. About a year prior to that I got carded to buy an M-rated video game at Gamestop.

I still get carded pretty much every time I buy alcohol, but that is to be expected.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few places around here where the policy is to ask everyone, no matter how old they look.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 days ago buying a box of cooking wine. 38 years old. I think wearing a mask makes it harder to immediately tell how old someone is.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Usually stores and stuff where you're buying a six-pack or a bottle of wine will always ask. Bars though? I don't always get carded at a bar, but there's times I def do.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I think when I was like 35 (40 now).

My wife still gets carded occasionally; she just turned 40. ....She's much, MUCH better about using moisturizer and sunscreen than I am.

Oct 25, 2017
Last year before being seated at a pub. Primarily due to my wife's looks i would guess and I got carded by association. We were surprised because my brother and his wife didn't get carded even though they were before us and are younger than my wife. She is 34 (was 33 at the time, I was 37).

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Just the other day. I'm 39. I was also wearing a mask so it's kind of hard to tell age based on half of facial features. But in pre-mask days....when I was 38.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I got carded for an R-rated movie when I was 24.

It caught me so off-guard that there were a few seconds of silence before I even understood what the cashier was asking for. Like, I get that maybe I didn't look 21, but 17?! I never even got carded for movies when I was a teenager! I guess there's a first time for everything.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
At a bar before this year, I'd say probably 2017? I don't go to the bar that often in my 30s except to watch football when I lived in the south and Texas.

At a liquor store it was earlier this year from a young guy in his early 20s. I'm going to be 39 on mlk day but I totally get why I get id there. The fines can be really high if you sell booze to under 21

Nice. I got a girl in trouble at a grocery store in cape Hatteras when I was 18 cause I just flirted with her and she forgot to ask. I came back thr next day and I heard the manager scolding her about my purchase. I quickly walked away

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
35, with a full beard and a 3 year old hanging round my neck.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've never been asked for ID.

Its the complete opposite for me.

When I was in high school, I went into the Nurse's office cause I was not feeling well and the nurse mistaken me for a parent , told her I was a student - she told me I dressed maturely/different from all the other boys which is why she thought I wasnt a student lol.

Though to be honest - I dont really visit places/buy things that often by law require ID verification.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
31, a few years ago. I can't grow a beard but I've hardly got what you would call a baby face, so I have no idea if the cashier was flirting with me. Whatever the motivation it certainly puffed up my ego for the rest of the day.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I got carded with a beard to see an r rated movie in my late 20s. Not a big deal, we all laughed at the sillyness.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Here you need an ID scan to sell alcohol/cigs to people so you're getting carded either way most of the time. When I worked at a mini mart I had to check ID's for everyone, no exceptions because if there was a sting I'd lose my job.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 and get carded at the Rite-Aid by my house like every time. Assuming it's some super strict store policy because 1: I'm old, and 2: They see me like every other day.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I used to randomly get asked for ID to buy groceries (no alcohol or other drugs) if I used a credit card. Been a few years.... let's say 32, maybe?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearing 30 and I still get carded. If anything it's happened more often now since I have a mask covering my face when I shop.
Should note that UK shops operate on a challenge 25 policy, the legal age for buying alcohol is 18, but you can be asked for ID if staff believe you look under 25.
Where I worked here in the US we were asked to card 40 and under. It was always funny watching the response of people in their 30's/40's.
From the other side: I carded anyone who wasn't greying. I ain't getting fired/fined for some secret shopper bullshit.
Related to the above. I had a coworker get busted in one of those secret shopper stings because she didn't card one of them. She wasn't fired, and I don't think she was fined, but she got a talking to, and after that she carded damn near everyone buying alcohol or cigs, greying or otherwise.
I got carded for an R-rated movie when I was 24.

It caught me so off-guard that there were a few seconds of silence before I even understood what the cashier was asking for. Like, I get that maybe I didn't look 21, but 17?! I never even got carded for movies when I was a teenager! I guess there's a first time for everything.
I got carded trying to buy an M rated game for the first time in almost a decade about a year or so ago. It was definitely an odd feeling, but it made me laugh.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I got asked earlier this year lol. Mid 30s when I shave. Weird because I've been getting some grey hairs here and there in the last little bit.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017

I had a door guy at a music venue in LA stare really intently at my ID for a good long while. I took it as a compliment.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
387, last January when I was coming out of the cinema a friend texted me and asked if I could pick him up a six pack on the way home, went to my local Tesco's and at the check in was asked for ID. The check in girl was really embarrassed and apologised, when she looked at my drivers licence and saw that I was born in 1982.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy alcohol/cigs, and usually buy games at a GameStop where they know me, or through online pick up for Best Buy. So I don't get the opportunity to be carded specifically for what I'm purchasing very much.

But I still laugh at this one Black Friday. Me, at 21, goes up to the register to buy Dark Souls III. Cashier, middle aged woman, looks at me kind of funny as I await to pay. "Do you have an ID?" I apologized for not having it out (it was rated M after all), and got it out of my wallet. She looks at it, then back to me, and says, "you're not 21, you're not even 20!" I wasn't sure how to respond lol. I just kind of looked at her and was like, "I mean... it's on the license."

That was actually the first time I ever had to show ID for a game, which made it all the funnier.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure most places in the US are supposed to card anybody who isn't clearly middle aged or graying.

I'm 28 and still get carded most places. Only exceptions are when the staff recognize me.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only been asked once, and it was on my 21st birthday at the door of the pub we were spending it in. UK back in the late 80s.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
never got asked for my ID outside traveling offcourse. but never to verify my age.

do note that I am from the Netherlands, where alcohol consumption is legal after 18, and also in the time where I was 16>20 not many stores checked.

I am now 36

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've actually never been asked when ordering drinks but I don't go out to bars often it's mostly been at normal restaurants and I'm with others who are also adults as getting drinks.

I did get carded when I took my brother and cousin to see dead pool 2 in theaters, I didn't know you had to be 21 to bring a minor to rated R I was only 20, when the guy saw my ID and mentioned my age I was like cmon man just let me in these are my brothers and he was cool about it

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's the law that almost every place in the state asks. So I guess yesterday at 34, 35 in 1 week.

Pretty much this, I've been asked plenty at 34, mostly depending on the establishment -if I went to my local Kroger to purchase alcohol, they are definitely gonna ask for it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm 33. Lanky and still have mild acne. My receded hairline is usually my only apparent giveaway to some folks. I get asked for ID pretty much 100% of the time.