• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So I'm sure many of us are familiar with the Cthulu and I just have to ask, just what the absolute hell was up with all that

latest

Like how do you even come up with this and all the lore behind it?

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The legendary kraken has been a staple in fiction for centuries. Wouldn't be surprised if HPL took some inspiration from it when envisioning Cthulu.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
You just say you can't describe it and move onto the next sentence.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The dude grew up with a mother who told him he was ugly and he was afraid of the ocean, everything in it, anything outside his house and of course, minorities.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I mean, like honestly, Cthulu is just a guy with a squid head. It's not super imaginative lol. I mean, maybe for the time I dunno. I think he just took a lot of fish life and morphed them into human form in some way. It's weird, but it never really felt that weird to me. But it might just be me.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
When you imagine that the whole world is out to get you, this is what you come up with.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Cthulhu is just a giant with dragon wings and an octopus for a face. He's not that hugely inconcievable. It's like asking how did people come up with unicorns. Some dude just said "What if horses had horns?" That's how creativity happens.

Now Yog-Sothoth is where it's at.

yog_sothoth_by_trxpics_dd3czr7-fullview.jpg

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Cthulhu isn't even the weirdest. I think the cosmic horrors and eldritch mysteries in general are much cooler. Having something in the universe your mind is simply unable to comprehend, and you go insane :D

Color out of Space as an example is about a colour you have never seen before. And you can't handle it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I mean, Cthulhu is just a giant with dragon wings and an octopus for a face. He's not that hugely inconcievable. It's like asking how did people come up with unicorns. Some dude just said "What if horses had horns?" That's how creativity happens.

I mean, that's just an octopus with a bad rash

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing what we know now, the physical descriptions of the deities feel cute compared to the existential dread I sometimes feel about the vastness of the universe and how uncaring it is to my individual life.

AI that outgrew its human programing scares me more.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Color out of Space as an example is about a colour you have never seen before. And you can't handle it.

Colour out of Space is more of an example of how Lovecraft didn't understand a goddamn thing about science and really didn't grasp how the electromagnetic spectrum worked.

But then again we are talking about a man who, in his own words, "lacked the constitution for math."

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How did Miyamoto come up with Mario anyway? A plumber who runs around bonking mushrooms on the head with his pet dinosaur? Dude must have been on something.

I never understand why people ask stuff like this. The guy wrote horror stories. He came up with some weird stuff sure, but would you really be completely incapable of describing a bizarre monster if writing were the main thing you had going on?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
In most cases, Lovecraft avoided describing his creatures in depth. That's why he constantly repeats the same vague terms and describes things often as unfathomable or cyclopean.

Most of the lore, as well, came after his death -- Other writers took what very little was set up in his cycles and created a larger mythos -- primarily August Derleth.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017

Could Yog-Sothoth beat Cthulhu?

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Colour out of Space is more of an example of how Lovecraft didn't understand a goddamn thing about science and really didn't grasp how the electromagnetic spectrum worked.

But then again we are talking about a man who, in his own words, "lacked the constitution for math."

I don't think The Colour Out of Space was intended as a serious scientific paper.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
How did Miyamoto come up with Mario anyway? A plumber who runs around bonking mushrooms on the head with his pet dinosaur? Dude must have been on something.

I never understand why people ask stuff like this. The guy wrote horror stories. He came up with some weird stuff sure, but would you really be completely incapable of describing a bizarre monster if writing were the main thing you had going on?
Have you seen Yog Sothoth or whatever?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The simple answer is that Lovecraft was irrationally terrified of everything, up to and including:

*Black people
*The Irish
*Italians
*Fish
*Lobsters
*Antarctica
*Refrigeration
*Pluto
*Ultraviolet Radiation
*Entomology
*Egyptology
*Geometric Principles

... and more!

A lot of this was the result of Lovecraft actually being relatively uneducated but having a sort of lay interest in a lot of topics that were, at his time, on the frontier of science and engineering. Except in his day you couldn't just start a TV channel and rant about how 5G is giving everyone coronavirus, you had to write in to periodicals about how the newly-discovered planet is full of space monsters that have replaced your neighbor and are in league with the people of New Hampshire to breed a new race of plantoid-human hybrids.

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic/Eldritch horror is awesome. Bloodborne is the game to play if you're into strangely deep and unsettling lore, weird monsters, creepy aliens and inter-dimensional creatures from the depths of hell and space.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Have you seen Yog Sothoth or whatever?

I hadn't heard of it before, no. I just Googled it. Not sure what I'm meant to do with this information.

Edit: LOL, this description from a Lovecraft wiki is pretty hilarious: "Yog-Sothoth is a cosmic entity and Outer God. Born of the Nameless Mist, he is the progenitor of Cthulhu, Hastur the Unspeakable and the ancestor of the Voormi. He is also the father of Wilbur Whateley."

How did Wilbur get caught up in all that?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is going on about him being racist, but ignoring what is actually applicable here... He was pretty sickly and suffered from severe nightmares/night terrors. These nightmares directly informed a lot of his work.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, everyone in this thread should watch this if they haven't already. Wonderful explortation of why Lovecraft is engaging

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The simple answer is that Lovecraft was irrationally terrified of everything, up to and including:

*Black people
*The Irish
*Italians
*Fish
*Lobsters
*Antarctica
*Refrigeration
*Pluto
*Ultraviolet Radiation
*Entomology
*Egyptology
*Geometric Principles

... and more!

A lot of this was the result of Lovecraft actually being relatively uneducated but having a sort of lay interest in a lot of topics that were, at his time, on the frontier of science and engineering. Except in his day you couldn't just start a TV channel and rant about how 5G is giving everyone coronavirus, you had to write in to periodicals about how the newly-discovered planet is full of space monsters that have replaced your neighbor and are in league with the people of New Hampshire to breed a new race of plantoid-human hybrids.
This post summarizes Lovecraft far better than I could

Oct 25, 2017
Be like a real bigoted motherfucking piece of shit but like a creative one of those, that's able to put in some words how they live a pathetic life filled with such a profound fear of anything that is not them that the imagine it to be an aberration from beyond human comprehension that perverts reality by existing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think The Colour Out of Space was intended as a serious scientific paper.

No but it was inspired by research Lovecraft read and thoroughly misunderstood about the spectrum of light and how there are wavelengths we can't see, and then wondering what such unseeable things could do to us. The answer, of course, being "give us a sunburn," but HPL had a brand to maintain, after all. Color by definition is an illusion our brains conjure to communicate information to us. For that matter purple doesn't technically exist, it's just your brain inventing a shade of color when it can't decide if something's blue or red. The reality, as usual, is much weirder than fiction.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In most cases, Lovecraft avoided describing his creatures in depth. That's why he constantly repeats the same vague terms and describes things often as unfathomable or cyclopean.

Most of the lore, as well, came after his death -- Other writers took what very little was set up in his cycles and created a larger mythos -- primarily August Derleth.

Take a drink every time you read cyclopean and eldritch.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Comes from the fear of the unknown and the unknowable. Fear of an uncaring universe and the fact that our existence is incredibly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. We are an infinitesimal speck in a mind-numbingly vast universe.

so all of that.. but what if monsters?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
He was afraid of everything. Which made him an excellent horror/science fiction writer.

Comes from the fear of the unknown and the unknowable. Fear of an uncaring universe and the fact that our existence is incredibly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. We are an infinitesimal speck in a mind-numbingly vast universe.

so all of that.. but what if monsters?
I remember seeing that famous "pale blue dot" photo of Earth and instantly feeling like I was in a Lovecraft story. That feeling of realizing that on a cosmic scale the whole of Humanity amounts to nothing is really intense and dreadful. Was for me at least.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I hadn't heard of it before, no. I just Googled it. Not sure what I'm meant to do with this information.

Edit: LOL, this description from a Lovecraft wiki is pretty hilarious: "Yog-Sothoth is a cosmic entity and Outer God. Born of the Nameless Mist, he is the progenitor of Cthulhu, Hastur the Unspeakable and the ancestor of the Voormi. He is also the father of Wilbur Whateley."

How did Wilbur get caught up in all that?

The Dunwich Horror is both one of Lovecraft's most popular/successful (at least in his own contemporary sense) and least "Lovecraft" stories; it's basically just a dumb monster movie plot where some hillbillies did the nasty with a ghasty and now their son's an invisible stomp monster. It's probably the least navel-gazing or speculative work he's ever written, complete with the suitably pedestrian naming of the antagonists.

Also, yeah, it kind of grounds the whole "inconceivable cosmic horror" to a weird place where I guess despite being beyond all mortal ken it also just sort of fucks your redneck aunt.