• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck would he get in character? Would he have actually killed Lurtz's actor during their swordfight?
Pretty much.

A bit of stubble and boom, there's your Strider.

cf8f033d88829c881be54ce820117ca9.jpg

Viggo's great though.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Viggo is a Danish-American who spent part of his childhood in South America. Aragorn is a human raised among Elves and later spent his life wandering Middle-earth. I think it makes sense that the accent of the actor/character is mixed and so untraceable.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wasn't he offered 10% of gross profits too for his salary.
Yeah, it was something like that from what I read. It was points on the gross, which in Hollywood Accounting meant he wouldn't have made anything from that (I think Jackson had a lawsuit against WB, because he argued he wasn't paid his points due to Hollywood Accounting).

I think he was offered something like $30MM outright for the role.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Once you realize he has a perfect Argentinian accent, it makes more sense imo.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Viggo is a Danish-American who spent part of his childhood in South America. Aragorn is a human raised among Elves and later spent his life wandering Middle-earth. I think it makes sense that the accent of the actor/character is mixed and so untraceable.
Yeah, I'd classify it as "British, by way of Scandinavia".

It never bothered me. The films have a pretty big mix of European, Australian, and American accents, and they all sort of blend together just fine.

I really don't know if he would have committed to all three movies, though.
They were all filmed at the same time, so it's basically just one big movie (and then reshoots where necessary over the next 3 years).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The way he said "The same fear" during the Black Gate speech always bothered me. It always sounded off

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I never had a problem with his accent, It just kinda works whatever he does. I love the Lord of the Rings, I rewatch it every year

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's funny how Townsend was too young. Cause it would look too weird on camera to have liv Tyler with a love interest her own age.

Oct 27, 2017
y'all making me feel super old that you never knew Viggo was cast at the last minute, never mind remembering Townsend's hiring and firing in real time

Also I think all those A-list names were handed down from the studio and Jackson didn't really want any of them. ( I imagine he wouldn't have turned his nose up at DDL as Aragorn though.)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
oh man listening to these back to back makes me realize he's just someone's dad trying to sound vaguely "fantasy"

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
How the fuck would he get in character? Would he have actually killed Lurtz's actor during their swordfight?
He probably would have spent a year learning to track and hunt whilst also learning herbology and maybe some blacksmithing. He would have memorized Elvish.

Viggo is Aragorn but I kinda want to see DDL as Aragorn because he's so good.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, they offered the role of Gandalf to Sean Connery, but he turned it down because he "didn't understand it." His last movie was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. 🤷

lol, that's so funny, because Townsend was also in that movie. Was the entire film cast with LotR cast-offs?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Viggo was pretty method himself. Carried his sword with him around town, slept with his horse, got injured all the time going 110% in the action sequences. In the fight with Lurtz the part where he swats away the throwing knife with his sword is real.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Viggo was pretty method himself. Carried his sword with him around town, slept with his horse, got injured all the time going 110% in the action sequences.

That horse thing is actually a very common way to bond with them. Viggo is an expert horse rider and knew his shit. I believe the horse he worked with in LotR after production ended.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Viggo should've played Ned Stark too.

What I got out of this is that South Americans are the elves of our world.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Viggo has an amazing faculty for language. He speaks English, Spanish, French, Danish and a fair amount of Italian. His mother was American and his father was Danish. During his childhood he lived all over like Venezuela, Denmark and Argentina where he learned fluent Spanish, but when their parents divorced he settled in New York where he lived for the rest of his childhood. So being a quadrilingual I'd assume you can conjure up very unique sets of accents to play around with which is probably what he wanted to do since this was set in a fantasy world like Middle Earth. His character being a ranger, traveler and an explorer who have been part of many different cultures, he might have wanted to create a dynamic accent that reflects upon someone with that kind of personality and wanderlust, which comes to think of it sounds a lot like himself . Also, like others have previously explained… he just got flown straight into the scene so he probably had to wing it heavily in the beginning.

A funny Easter egg people might not know about is that he did sneak in a Danish sentence at one point during the first film. When he and Arwen first meet after Weathertop they embrace and he says "Min elskling" which is Danish for "My Love". My first language is Norwegian so I picked that up straight away when I saw the first film in the cinema. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes he sounded like he was doing a Katherine Hepburn impersonation. He was still awesome, though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
He's from the same floating accent country that Littlefinger and Tyrion are from.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
How did he learn his lines and everything so fast? Damn

Cause he is fucking Viggo Mortensen. From every thing I've heard of this guy he is just a very gifted and dedicated individual with many talents. Like on the side he is a fairly decent abstract painter, a photographer and he has also made like 20 albums where he have collaborated with guitarists like Buckethead.
One example from the set of LOTR that shows his dedication. To befriend his horse he would stay with them at all times and even sleep in the barn next to the horses to bond with them. When he falls from the cliff after the Warg attack he performs a very dangerous stunt where the horse would bend down next to him as he was lying there wounded and pick him up. Viggo thought it was very important that they would have a strong bond before performing stunts like that where a mistake could end up with Viggo being crushed if the horse landed on top of him. He even ends up adopting the horses after the films.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Another example of Viggo been great is the following moment:

tumblr_mjeq8o13zf1rqg00io10_r1_250_by_edmonddantes9285-dcri56c.gif

giphy.gif

He broke his foot in that moment and that was real pain.