• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the time travel portions could be upped a game with SSDs if they did decide to do a remake. Or maybe making a new title in the universe.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The PC version is completely fine and the style of "remake" that I'd want is that of Romancing Saga 2 and 3 HD. Hopefully that recent Live A Live rating goes the same way.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
The Square Enix of today is just not interested (or probably even incapable) to remake classics like Chrono Trigger without fundamentally changing something usually for the worse. I just want Chrono Trigger to be accessible on modern platforms. Why hasn't the PC port come to consoles yet?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
The pc version was good after they patched in the option to remove the weird smoothing filter.
Is not the PC version pretty much the definitive version now? Can't get more contemporary than that.
The PC port is literally fine now, you clearly haven't played it.

The only thing they improved in the PC version is they added the sprite-based assets back in. The UI is still a mess developed for touch screens and the aspect ratio is all wonky with tons of non-integer pixels. Is the game playable? Absolutely. But it is so far from the best way to play the game.

I did a Twitter thread of all the best ways to play Chrono Trigger as well as the differences, for anyone who's playing for the first time:

Spoiler: This is the best way to play imo:
D_dqvTsWsAAXq9p

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
At least you all have options to replay it on PC.

Chrono Cross is my favorite game and I have nothing. NOTHING.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Imo CT doesn't need any remake. It's a 16bit masterpiece and needs to stay like that. Chrono Cross on the other side..ehhh deep sigh..

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The only thing they improved in the PC version is they added the sprite-based assets back in. The UI is still a mess developed for touch screens and the aspect ratio is all wonky with tons of non-integer pixels. Is the game playable? Absolutely. But it is so far from the best way to play the game.

I did a Twitter thread of all the best ways to play Chrono Trigger as well as the differences, for anyone who's playing for the first time:

D_dqvTsWsAAXq9p
Virtual console right? Maybe I should jump for a Wii U after all...
I think the characters would retain all the charm they had in 1995. Those designs are flawless.
I think they could nail the art style. The magic of the game is in how it circumvents the limitations of the SNES though IMO.
Be warned that although the visual style is very similar to Chrono Trigger (complete with on-map battles) & we tried to keep the fast pace & cool setpieces, the combat is very much its own thing.
I'm looking forward to it!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The mishandling of this IP has always been one of the worst, and most understated travesties in gaming. I enjoyed Cross, but it was not the sequel that Chrono Trigger deserved. Radical Dreamers even less so. There was so much potential for this IP to go places (and times! lol), never-mind the need to simply have the original be playable in its best form on current platforms.

Alas.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Virtual console right? Maybe I should jump for a Wii U after all...
Not exactly, it's a super roundabout method using homebrew.
The process is:
- Dump Chrono Trigger DS Cart to NDS rom
- Purchase a Wii U DS Virtual Console game
- Enable Custom Firmware on Wii U
- Dump the VC game, inject Chrono Trigger NDS rom, reinstall VC game

Then you're set.

It's ridiculous, but a fantastic way to play.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the aesthetic / animation of the Ni No Kuni titles would be a great fit for Toriyama's art. The characters are so fluidly animated and blend so well with the painterly watercolor landscapes. Put Level 5 on a remake.

Yeah, that's true but the issues is Dragon Quest's aesthetic and animations feel more suitable for Chrono Trigger due to the fact that it shared similarities between Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest due to a same artist so it worked out. But I'm fine with what you suggested and it might works out very well if they could go with both combined.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Not exactly, it's a super roundabout method using homebrew.
The process is:
- Dump Chrono Trigger DS Cart to NDS rom
- Purchase a Wii U DS Virtual Console game
- Enable Custom Firmware on Wii U
- Dump the VC game, inject Chrono Trigger NDS rom, reinstall VC game

Then you're set.

It's ridiculous, but a fantastic way to play.
This takes me back to the days of the PSP homebrew scene

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

D_dqvTsWsAAXq9p
There is no definite way to play the game. Unless you have access to a SNES copy, the terrible PS1 copy, or a DS copy which is getting hard to find, your solution is to spend $150 on a Wii U to mod it and play it on there? That's more work than most people want to do when, again, the PC port is absolutely a fine and perfectly enjoyable way to play it these days, and it runs on a toaster.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A Chrono Trigger or FF6 remake would be a nightmare none of you are prepared for.

Just try and picture some of CT or FF6's dialogue rewritten by modern Square Enix and then given to mediocre anime voice actors. It would ruin both games worse than Lavos ruined the planet.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
There is no definite way to play the game. Unless you have access to a SNES copy, the terrible PS1 copy, or a DS copy which is getting hard to find, your solution is to spend $150 on a Wii U to mod it and play it on there? That's more work than most people want to do when, again, the PC port is absolutely a fine and perfectly enjoyable way to play it these days, and it runs on a toaster.
I didn't say the only way to play the game is to go through absurd hoops to play it on a Wii U, I said that in my opinion it's the best way to play it.

Yes, the version released on Steam is playable, but it's far from ideal. My real suggestion is finding a legitimate way to play the SNES release.

I think it's bullshit that Square Enix has made the most readily available version of the game the absolute worst way to play it. It's time for a 16:9 port of the DS version to modern platforms. It's the most feature complete version and folks have shown time and time again they're okay with pixelated assets.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono cross and Xenogears need remakes much more than CT but I'd just rather have a sequel or a new similar game 100x over any remakes

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would greatly prefer nice convenience modern ports maybe with minor touchups (minor!) over remasters/remakes for games like Chrono Trigger. Games should be allowed to stay staked to the era in which they were made while still be accessible in terms of hardware to play it, imo. If we just keep adding to the pool of deserving remasters/remakes as we'd end up with an unmanageable snowball of trying to keep all of our favorites 'modern'.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
A remake would be cute but the game is pretty much perfect as is, I don't think it would benefit much from it, anything more would detract from the expertly well-done pacing. Final Fantasy VI is the SNES classic that would probably have much to gain from a remake, imho.

We could use some ports on modern consoles though.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Having made a CT-style game in the past, I feel like my team would be up to the challenge of making an official CT sequel if we had the license. We learned a lot from the development of Cosmic Star Heroine that we could implement to make an even better game. We'd need an actual budget though since we'd want to hire more people so it didn't take the two of us another 4 years to make.

Sea of Stars also looks very promising.

Having said all that, people have put Chrono Trigger on a pedestal over the past few decades so I feel like anything that isn't absolutely perfect would get ripped to shreds. It would be a stressful undertaking. It's easier to just make new games in the same style.
If anyone were to do it, I'm guessing you guys would be the right people for it. But, as you say: stressful undertaking. Why not just make an homage? Like you guys did with CSH (still haven't played it, but I intend to).

The problem for me is nailing that balance in style. Dragon Ball meets Star Wars meets... I dunno? Something. Lighthearted sci-fi with anime roots and creative twists.

nath999

May 7, 2018
A sequel, remake or HD remake would be pretty awesome.

Considering how much Square Enix has struggled to make new lasting franchises, I'm surprised they haven't tried to use the IP again.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
My philosophy is if SE aren't going to use their existing older IPs then they should be making new ones that experiment as the others did. Final Fantasy cannot and should not be the only series they use to test new mechanics and approaches.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

D_dqvTsWsAAXq9p

Just take all that peeling plastic off the TV and baby, you've got a stew going.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say the only way to play the game is to go through absurd hoops to play it on a Wii U, I said that in my opinion it's the best way to play it.

Yes, the version released on Steam is playable, but it's far from ideal. My real suggestion is finding a legitimate way to play the SNES release.

I think it's bullshit that Square Enix has made the most readily available version of the game the absolute worst way to play it. It's time for a 16:9 port of the DS version to modern platforms. It's the most feature complete version and folks have shown time and time again they're okay with pixelated assets.
It's not the worst way to play the game when the PS1 version exists. You are really blowing the PC versions defects way out of proportion.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I would greatly prefer nice convenience modern ports maybe with minor touchups (minor!) over remasters/remakes for games like Chrono Trigger. Games should be allowed to stay staked to the era in which they were made while still be accessible in terms of hardware to play it, imo. If we just keep adding to the pool of deserving remasters/remakes as we'd end up with an unmanageable snowball of trying to keep all of our favorites 'modern'.
This. I am a massive CT fan but would be turned off immediately by any kind of "remake." Even the recent vocal arrangement album was really controversial (even though I love it a lot!)

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I was so disappointed by the Chrono Trigger Steam release I refunded it within a few minutes of playing. I've looked at all the updates / patches they've released and I still don't think it's up to par with the DS / SNES versions.

DS version remains the definitive. Sigh.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I'd be excited for a Chrono Trigger remake in Octopath Traveler art direction. And I wouldn't be bothered by a bigger budget remake cause I loved what they did with VIIR, as long as they can put the whole game in a single package. Cross deserves a remaster too, and fast.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

Which makes no sense due to the game moving 790K units on the DS alone back in FY of 2009.

Engadget

Engadget is the original home for technology news and reviews. Since its founding in 2004, we've grown from an exhaustive source for consumer tech news to a global multimedia organization covering the intersection of technology, gaming and entertainment.

I don't see how 790K units sold on a DS port being low sales at all. Square was BSing with that response.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think as with many of their IP that are just sitting in the vault, Chrono is a series that has no champion within the company. Most of the people who worked on it or Cross left the company years ago, and the few that are left are people like Nomura who have their own favored IP that they themselves created. Case in point, we see that The World Ends With You is still hanging around, potentially with a sequel coming, even though it was a bomb that has nowhere near the legacy of other SE IP. I mean I'm pretty sure it sold worse than even the DS re-release of Trigger.

It does seem like there is a bit more care and attention paid to Chrono vs others, just based on surveys they've sent and the Steam release, an I assume it's because they know it is still very popular outside of Japan.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
I think as with many of their IP that are just sitting in the vault, Chrono is a series that has no champion within the company. Most of the people who worked on it or Cross left the company years ago, and the few that are left are people like Nomura who have their own favored IP that they themselves created. Case in point, we see that The World Ends With You is still hanging around, potentially with a sequel coming, even though it was a bomb that has nowhere near the legacy of other SE IP. I mean I'm pretty sure it sold worse than even the DS re-release of Trigger.

It does seem like there is a bit more care and attention paid to Chrono vs others, just based on surveys they've sent and the Steam release, an I assume it's because they know it is still very popular outside of Japan.
SE needs to let a new crop of creatives take stage IMO. Old guard should step down and support their successors.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Only if it used Octopath Traveler's style to only remake the graphics.

Octopath-Traveler.jpg
Would have to be less desaturated than Octopath Traveller. If Chrono Trigger AND Chrono Cross are known for anything, it's that they are super colorful and vibrant. The style, though, yeah. Octopath Traveller style is wonderful! Hell, I'd love a new traditional-take on Final Fantasy, non-mainline but a spinoff/gaiden-type deal (call it "Final Fantasy Legacy" and it could be it's own series) with old school pixel-graphics, world maps, towns and dungeons like Octopath Traveller's, more classic themes (crystals, job classes) and story concepts you probably couldn't do in modern mainstream FF games because of the limitations that comes with AAA games.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I also get the feeling why Chrono Cross hasn't been ported is because they lost the source code like they did for FF8. Unlike FF8 SE would never "remaster" it to get it working again. So I doubt a port ever happens sadly unless it's just a straight rom dump.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine BIRD STUDIO/Akira Toriyama have some ownership stake in the IP with creates an additional hurdle if SE wants to do anything with the series.

edit: Just checked the English website, they own the artwork and the Dragon Quest production company has another set of rights.

zJXrQ6H.png

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I don't want modern SEnix touching my favorite game of all time.

I'd only trust the team behind Dragon Quest XI simply because I think they could make it tolerable.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that in regards to the DS game that they charged an arm & a leg for despite it being a pretty basic port of a SNES game? Of course people aren't going to be rushing to buy ports of old games at brand new game prices.
Yes and it sucks because I bought like 10 copies. One for me and gifted the rest because more people need to play that game.

I'd rather they leave it alone. The PC version is fine. I played through the whole thing (DS content included) on an Extra Life stream and honestly the extra stuff kinda sucks. Running up and down the mountain in the past/future was a pain in the ass and the Lost Sanctum was nice for more battles but also wasn't really worth the effort.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's very unlikely that the people who made Trigger as memorable as it was will ever reunite again. Additionally, Kato doesn't seem interested in further pursuing the franchise after Cross, and the series seems to have disappointed Square since the DS release.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Chrono Trigger Remake never happens. To be frank, FF VII Remake is proof, to me at least, that they can't be trusted with updating their classic titles tastefully.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I just wish I could play this, along with FF6, on the Switch. Haven't experienced either, and I really don't wanna play on my PC.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather it'd look like the old Toriyama art for CT:

ef510c65f347c2436e43a5cdd06a808d.jpg
If we are talking about a bigger budget project, cel-shaded like Granblue Fantasy Versus...
yYWMfR6.jpg

... and matte painted-looking background locations like in Ni no Kuni series...
NinoKuni_II_Goldpaw_2_1503046043.jpg

... but just all in under Toriyama's art direction. That would be killer!

Hell, even if they remade Chrono Cross I'd prefer that style, but substitute Toriyama's characters with Nobuteru Yuki's, but still keep the general anime aesthetic and ditch the CG look of the original.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
So glad I grabbed this on the Wii Virtual Console. Playing it in 240p on a CRT only having spent eight bucks for it will be glorious.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono trigger does not need a remake. It just needs to be ported to all modern platforms.

Not everything needs a remake. It's sad to see those new gameplay ideas being used on stories that have already been told. I mean, why not use those gameplay ideas on new stories, settings, and/or characters.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to remember what it was that caused Square to ignore all those huge strides in its battle system and structure that we only got with Tokyo RPG Factory's titles.

Were they trying to stick to JRPG tradition or something or was it really that tough to program in-world encounters during the PS1 era?