• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Both are playing Cat and mouse so one can have a mic drop moment

Real answer is I don't know

I doubt either of them have a mic drop moments.

Both consoles are releasing with B Teir exclusives and the usual 3rd part fare thats also available of PS4/Xbox One.

Both are going to be as expensive as hell and neither company want the bad PR that comes with announcing the price first.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Price and launch date are not precised yet, which is frustrating, but it's pretty much expected to be 499 and in early november. If either of those predictions end up wrong, they'll be in trouble because they'll have failed expectations which is a very bad marketing position.

This is where I'm at atm. Sure I would like info and a stable price, but in the absence of information, I think most consumers expect 499 / early November. If that's not the case, Sony and Microsoft are only hurting themselves by putting off the info. Longer time for people to cement their expectations (which, fairly, are not based in any evidence but largely seem to be what I've seen online), and if those expectations end up being wrong at the last minute, that's on Sony and Microsoft.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I find it quite strange that the people who are handwaving away the price and release questions because there is a global pandemic are adamant that the consoles will launch this year 100%, Pandemic or not.

Either the pandemic is impacting the industry or not.
Spoiler alert: It is impacting the industry and MS and Sony are too chicken to make the first move to delay the launch to 2021 which is safer for the workers (including delivery and retail) and it will be better for next-gen period, with less stress on developers to make the "launch window".

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It is impacting the industry and MS and Sony are too chicken to make the first move to delay the launch to 2021 which is safer for the workers (including delivery and retail) and it will be better for next-gen period, with less stress on developers to make the "launch window".

Would be wiser anyways but i think they both make some kind of "sneak peek" early adopter launch with extremely limited quantities this year.

Oct 27, 2017
There is less than three months left and no damn thing is mentioned. Nothing.

Can we stop with this hyperbolic shit?

What had been shown:

- Games for 1-2 years
- Console design
- Console specs
- Controller
- Release window

What has not been shown:
- UI
- Price
- Launch date
- Launch games

Take a chill pill and let them announce things when they wanna announce things.

I don't see anyone screaming for the price of the next iphone? And that will come out waaay before the PS5.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm off the PS5 train until next year to be honest. Too many unpredictable things this late in the game.

I doubt I'd even quality to preorder one anyway lol.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Can we stop with this hyperbolic shit?

What had been shown:

- Games for 1-2 years
- Console design
- Console specs
- Controller
- Release window

What has not been shown:
- UI
- Price
- Launch date
- Launch games

Take a chill pill and let them announce things when they wanna announce things.

I don't see anyone screaming for the price of the next iphone? And that will come out waaay before the PS5.
You are mostly right, but the iPhone comparison isn't fair, since it's their MO and kind of their "signature". And anyways, everything is leaked 6 months in advance.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia's strategy of announcing hardware and announcing prices at the same time seems to be doing wonders for them. If Sony capped the big reveal they had the other day with a price and preorder announcement sales wouldve been through the roof. MS couldve done the same with their reveal and that couldve helped them too but they hype is much lower right now.
To be fair, they were trying to get ahead of leaks because at the end of the day, games need to be made on these machines and devkits have to be sent to devs ahead of time unlike nvidia which doesn't have to worry about such things with gpus

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
What's funny is right now is looks like Sony is ever so close to the price n pre order part. I think they are gonna go first.

MS still has to market the Series S. The longer the wait, the worse it is for MS.

I think Sony is trying to figure out the PS5DE price.
Good point, we don't even know officially if the S exists at all. The power and price point of the S would affect whether Sony will accept to take a loss on the DE edition. And Microsoft would like to know if Sony will take a loss on the DE for the same reason.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Jimbo and Phil shaking in their boots after that Nvidia show. Now they have to delay and upgrade their GPU's to be at least 15 TF or they are both DOA.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything wrong with the consoles (aside from obvious Covid19 related disruptions). I think the problem is a lot of enthusiast gamers' total inability to deal with change or when things don't go the way they always have.

Is it possible that these companies aren't giving us pricing information and release dates in June just like they did 7 years ago because that was 7 years ago and marketing strategies and expectations have changed? No no there must be something wrong clearly they need to delay these products.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Because flight prices go up the closer to the date, and flights fill up quickly. Next.
Incorrect. Stats show lowest prices are usually available 60 days prior to departure. Yet most people purchase their tickets way earlier.

People want to plan their purchases ahead. Two months notice is not normal for a product most of us buy once every 7th year. Think outside the box.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I think people just need to learn to wait. Does it matter if you get preorder today or a week from the launch? I have ~$700 saved up and I'll buy the thing when it's available.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think people are overreacting too much with this whole ''Silence=Doomed'' thing, maybe is just me since I'm not an early adopter, but I remember vividly when Sony was in complete silence and people assumed that it meant that something was wrong and Sony would be left back by MS, and wee all see what happened,
it didn't change shit for them, why would be different now? Until we are 3~4 weeks before launch there is no need to be worried.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't know why these threads keep popping up.

There is a global pandemic killing thousands of people daily.

People are working from home.

Working from home presents a lot of difficult challenges, logistically, and hampers efficiency.

This isn't rocket science. They'll show you when they show you. There is nothing nefarious going on.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm more concerned about the lack of gameplay we've gotten running on next gen hardware. There's been some, but not much.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think people are overreacting too much with this whole ''Silence=Doomed'' thing, maybe is just me since I'm not an early adopter, but I remember vividly when Sony was in complete silence and people assumed that it meant that something was wrong and Sony would be left back by MS, and all see what happened,
it didn't change shit for them, why would be different now? Until we are 3~4 weeks before launch there is no need to be worried.
yeah the doom and 599 stuff is going to be laughable come november.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
coronadiesel-324x160.jpg

Deleted member 76299

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
It's not a game of cat and mouse... we are in a pandemic and depending on country, launches will probably have to be changed. i don't expect launch info and price until 3/4 weeks before they intend to launch.

For a comparison, look at the LOUP2 launch. Now imagine launching a new console with loads of games. I mean MS is basically launching a system with no games.. that isn't what they wanted to happen at all.

Once again, it's not cat and mouse. They are trying there best to not let fans down.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect. Stats show lowest prices are usually available 60 days prior to departure. Yet most people purchase their tickets way earlier.

People want to plan their purchases ahead. Two months notice is not normal for a product most of us buy once every 7th year. Think outside the box.

Well I guess that depends on area/airline. Most flights I've booked tend to get more expensive the less seats become available.

But in any case, its not like the price of the console is going to fluctuate beyond an extra $100 than you may be planning to spend.

In that case, you either:

1. Don't buy the console at launch and wait for a sale
2. If getting it at launch is that big a deal, suck it up and spend the extra $100

🤷‍♂️

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Nvidia and Apples approach only works because they announce something and its released in 3 weeks. Sony and MS announce these consoles one way or another a year+ before release so it feels like its dragging and people are getting annoyed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there is anything wrong with the consoles (aside from obvious Covid19 related disruptions). I think the problem is a lot of enthusiast gamers' total inability to deal with change or when things don't go the way they always have.

Is it possible that these companies aren't giving us pricing information and release dates in June just like they did 7 years ago because that was 7 years ago and marketing strategies and expectations have changed? No no there must be something wrong clearly they need to delay these products.

Yeah, probably just this.

tumblr_mddxenL6NG1rhk593o5_500.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more concerned about the lack of gameplay we've gotten running on next gen hardware. There's been some, but not much.

Yup, same here. With everything that we know so far/everything that's been shown, I'm of the opinion that both camps are struggling to get games finished/finalized by release, which is why so few games have been shown with any extended amount of gameplay.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's funny is right now is looks like Sony is ever so close to the price n pre order part. I think they are gonna go first.

MS still has to market the Series S. The longer the wait, the worse it is for MS.

I think Sony is trying to figure out the PS5DE price.

I think the reality is, all it takes to market a product now is a well made x amount of minute keynote video.

Sony did one in June and that's it. Ms can literally do one for the series s and thats tada product marketed and unveiled.

Sony have proven that you don't need intense deep dives, product tear downs, images of the rear of the box. Just unveil the product and you are pretty much golden.

The reality is neither if them wants to go first but they will have to at some point. I don't know who's is in the worst position. The market leader with a massive install base of potential users or the one in last place trying to gain market share. That platers big ganes have all been on pc for peak this year so... I dunno lol.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
It is odd.

I'm ok with it though. iPhones are announced with price and then released a few weeks later. Honestly, I feel like Sony is just waiting for MS to make a move. To be honest, I am too. I'm really curious what the Series S. If it was to be launched with the X, I would think we would have had more leaks. I'm wondering if they are considering pushing it back to launch next to Halo so they can draw in the casual crowd.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reality is, all it takes to market a product now is a well made x amount of minute keynote video.

Sony did one in June and that's it. Ms can literally do one for the series s and thats tada product marketed and unveiled.

Sony have proven that you don't need intense deep dives, product tear downs, images of the rear of the box. Just unveil the product and you are pretty much golden.

The reality is neither if them wants to go first but they will have to at some point. I don't know who's is in the worst position. The market leader with a massive install base of potential users or the one in last place trying to gain market share. That platers big ganes have all been on pc for peak this year so... I dunno lol.
Sony are also giving ppl reasons to be excited for next gen besides console specs.

The PS5DE is just the PS5 with no disc drive. Not entirely the same thing as the Series S. MS can't just say here you go, enjoy.

MS gets props for the deep dives, Sony gets props for next gen marketing.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia and Apples approach only works because they announce something and its released in 3 weeks. Sony and MS announce these consoles one way or another a year+ before release so it feels like its dragging and people are getting annoyed.

Nvidia's and Apple's approach works because it works. Sony could wait until November 1st to say anything and they'll still sell every unit available and not a single soul will care that they had to wait.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I just want the peace of mind of knowing I have a launch PS5 preordered. The rest is gravy. Thick delicious gravy.

It works for them because they release a new one of whatever it is every year.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Nvidia's and Apple's approach works because it works. Sony could wait until November 1st to say anything and they'll still sell every unit available and not a single soul will care that they had to wait.

I agree with you. I'm just explaining why some people are annoyed at them not announcing any details so 'close' to release when traditionally we would have known all this stuff by E3. I personally would rather the Nvidia/Apple/Nintendo approach of announcing stuff closer to release. i hate publishers announce games that are 2+ years away.

Oct 29, 2017
Console and GPU markets generate different reactions when new products are announced. It's not that comparable because consoles not only get revenue from other than the hardware itself, they also have exclusive games in order to move said hardware, so they can announce a new console months in advance to generate hype around the brand.

In the other hand, the last thing NVIDIA wants is to generate hype for a product that people cannot buy for months in advance. That's months were enthusiast will stop purchasing the current line, months were hardware sales go down without another source to back it up.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

what's so hard about just setting money aside on your own?

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think they're taking the smartphone approach. Announce the thing, show the price, pre-orders open that Friday, and the console drops a week from that announcement. Turns the box into an impulse buy for early adopters.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. I'm just explaining why some people are annoyed at them not announcing any details so 'close' to release when traditionally we would have known all this stuff by E3. I personally would rather the Nvidia/Apple/Nintendo approach of announcing stuff closer to release. i hate publishers announce games that are 2+ years away.

Honestly, those people are just impatient. As soon as the info is out there they'll be satisfied and forget about it. Whether something is announced days/months/years ahead of time just isn't the big deal people here make it out to be.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Yeah this is getting kind of stupid. I was looking at my amazon orders and i found my ps4 preorder. It was made on june. Thats threer months earlier that this generation.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I no longer thing they're playing "who is cheaper" chicken. And there will be no mic drop. To have a mic drop they're gonna need to be great prices and sorry but everyone is gonna be let down by that. You can't have a mic drop at over 499.

Right now they wanna see how high each goes to see what they can get away with. But expect 499 for the cheap units.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Jimbo and Phil shaking in their boots after that Nvidia show. Now they have to delay and upgrade their GPU's to be at least 15 TF or they are both DOA.
Sarcasm aside this is the smallest PC/console gap in history. Nvidia best card is $1500 and is only 3 times faster then Series X. These next gen consoles aren't weak little bitches not by a longshot. Hate the drastic comparisons being made between them and the Nvidia cards it's so cringe.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They know their prices will be high especially in a time when so many people are out of work or struggling, nobody wants to be the first to get the heat.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I no longer thing they're playing "who is cheaper" chicken. And there will be no mic drop. To have a mic drop they're gonna need to be great prices and sorry but everyone is gonna be let down by that. You can't have a mic drop at over 499.

Right now they wanna see how high each goes to see what they can get away with. But expect 499 for the cheap units.
Well if one annouces at 599, surely the other can get a mic drop moment at 499.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah this is getting kind of stupid. I was looking at my amazon orders and i found my ps4 preorder. It was made on june. Thats threer months earlier that this generation.

That was 7 years ago. This is the thing I genuinely do not understand. How people expect things to be the exact same.