• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
You've paid nothing, cannot pay anything even if you want to, and they therefore owe you nothing right now.

Is it perhaps bad marketing? Yeah, that's entirely possible.

But let's keep in mind that no one is forcing you to buy a console. If launch comes and you don't feel you've been prepared enough to make a purchase, you shouldn't buy it. Be an informed consumer.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
We don't need this thread everyday. No one's even going to remember the pre-launch marketing for these consoles once they release anyway.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know man, hard to keep staying hyped...for sure I'll get the ps5 come launch but my hype is way down with all this trickle of info.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
The whining and level of entitlement people have to try and handwave away a fucking pandemic is killing me inside.

I would say you need to go outside more, but there's a pandemic happening.
You'd have a point if MS and Sony weren't adament that they are launching this year. When you set the expectation that new consoles are coming in 2020 maybe show a little more than the controller and something that looks like Spiderman DLC expanded into a new game. Same goes for Xbox, they need to either delay or just do an info dump at this point - we are two months from release. I personally think Sony is waiting on MS and vice versa so one can try to undercut the other on price.

I contracted COVID-19 and spent a few weeks in bed so please don't assume I'm dismissing a global pandemic.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't y'all just square away $600 and wait for fucks sake. Impatient toddler ass dudes.

We don't need this thread everyday. No one's even going to remember the pre-launch marketing for these consoles once they release anyway.
I couldn't tell you when we found out the PS2/3/4 price and date with a gun to my head. Like this absolutely does not fuckin matter in the long run.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
If you're comparing it to the nvidia event, do you want them to reveal launch date and prices 3 weeks from launch?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
You'd have a point if MS and Sony weren't adament that they are launching this year. When you set the expectation that new consoles are coming in 2020 maybe show a little more than the controller and something that looks like Spiderman DLC expanded into a new game. Same goes for Xbox, they need to either delay or just do an info dump at this point - we are two months from release. I personally think Sony is waiting on MS and vice versa so one can try to undercut the other on price.
why not exercise some patience, then

not knowing the price immediately isn't going to harm you

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to lie, my excitement for these consoles have tanked due to the lack of information.
The games like Project Athia and Demons Souls seem like they are a ways off so I might not even bother trying to get a PS5 for a while.

I feel like they are afraid to tell us the price.

I feel like the smart thing will be to just update my pc and stick with Game Pass

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
1. The world is currently in the midst of a pandemic

Not that there should even be a 2. but

2. They don't have to release all this info when you want them to do so. They have plenty of time before a mid-November launch to show gameplay, OS, and give the price/release date. They could do all of that in one one-hour showcase.

Being prudent and not announcing stuff too early just to satisfy entitle gamers is not a bad thing. We saw what happened with MS and 343 when they decided to show Halo a year before it was ready to be seen. There's no point in repeating that mistake if it's avoidable.

These consoles are locked for releases this Fall if you believe Sony and MS, so sometime within the next 4-6 weeks I imagine that there will be huge next gen blowouts for each one. I'd only be concerned if we didn't hear anything by early-mid October. These threads are going to age poorly in a few short weeks.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its 100% covid. Software development was absolutely torpedoed and neither Microsoft and Sony are being upfront about barely having launch games because of it. I would expect everything at launch to be buggy and broken.

The price thing is purely Sony trying to figure out what to charge after they had to redesign the PS5 cooling to add the boost clock stuff and it raised the bill of goods and Microsoft is deadset on being cheaper then the PS5 so they are waiting on Sony to announce price first.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest

I have patience. Like I said, I'm either upgrading my PC or buying a box. Right now it's going to be the PC upgrade and a box down the line. Sony and MS need to convince me to spend money on their console; I'm fine saving half a G if they want to do this drip feed.

EDIT: To add on, it's not just the price. Give me deep dives into launch day/window games. Let me see the OS. Tell me about the online infrastructure. MS and Sony haven't given us much of anything and are relying on the blind loyalty of day 1 adopters. If the Wii U can sell out of course PS5 and XSX are.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Pandemic.

We're in a global pandemic that has clearly impacted games and marketing from Sony, Microsoft and NIntendo.

But this really isn't a big deal. They're both releasing in September. They're both going to be $500 or $600.

I don't understand the need some have to know everything right now. You can budget accordingly now. There will be no difference from if they announced it two months ago to if they announce it in mid-September.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We'll know when they are ready to show, it's that simple.

if they wanna play chicken to the very least minute on who gonna break the bad news that next gen will be expensive, that's on them.. cause time is catching up and time is undefeated.

So I honestly I'm not even thinking about it or stressed like most. It's gonna release this year and that's that.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
At some point they're gonna have to stop playing pricing chicken and just drop the price. If it was $399 I suspect someone would be tripping over themselves to announce it. Without covid around I suspect we'd know by now even if $499 was the number.

I figure anyone trying to win the launch console lottery by getting one in 2020 has some idea of both their budget and their ' that's too high' threshold.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

I get that but I only have so much money I can budget for entertainment. The uncertainty of not even knowing the price means I might decide to spend that money elsewhere instead of waiting for the end of the year for them to finally tell me what's even coming out with the consoles.

If PS5 end up being $600 and all the big games $70 they are starting to feel like a poor value.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Two new next gen systems and there has been ONE confirmed exclusive between both of them (Miles Morales). Yes, safe to say the start of the upcoming generation is terrible as it stands now.

OP
OP
dusan

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I don't know man, hard to keep staying hyped...for sure I'll get the ps5 come launch but my hype is way down with all this trickle of info.
Also day one PS5 for me, but that's not the problem. Although there are those who speak the opposite, every console customer is in the same situation, in a huge nothingness. We should have seen or known more information about these machines. A very simple example, we haven't even seen the PS5's damn menu yet, and this machine comes out in less than 3 months.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Be patient, people. They will have announced the price and release dates by early October. We will also have seen some footage of next gen games running on next gen hardware.

We know that the consoles will release in November, just the exact date is lacking. There is really not much to criticize about there communication.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Here is my scathing commentary of the whole situation.

4dm1gn.jpg

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, their strategy is working. Everyone keeps talking about PS5/XSX , thus keeping engagement high. This is the new marketing route everyone is going for in the tech business. Just look at phones, look at Nvidia, hell even Nintendo did this to an extent with the Switch.

Nowadays, engagement drives customer retention and sells. Although this is frustrating for us consumers, from an economic pov, it's the way to go. Brace yourselves that we might have to wait until early/mid october for prices/launch dates.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
So don't buy on launch?
Don't worry, I won't!

Still isn't an explanation for the drip feed.

Already upgraded the RAM in my PC, once I add a new GPU and SSD to my cart there's zero chance I get XSX or PS5 this fall. If we knew more by this point or had pre-orders open I'd commit to a console and ride out my current PC build for another year or two.

Oct 31, 2017
If I was releasing an expensive consumer product in the midst of a deep recession and global pandemic, I'd be playing it pretty close to my chest as well. Nobody wants to talk money at the moment.

Keeping the bad piece of news (price) close to your chest until the very end isn't a good idea though, especially in our current climate.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The bigger mistake is that I can never remember what Microsoft is calling the Xbox 4, and I read a video game forum hours every day. I can't even imagine trying to nail getting the correct console for a kid if I wasn't an enthusiast.

Is this how everyone felt during the Wii U?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pandemic.

We're in a global pandemic that has clearly impacted games and marketing from Sony, Microsoft and NIntendo.

But this really isn't a big deal. They're both releasing in September. They're both going to be $500 or $600.

I don't understand the need some have to know everything right now. You can budget accordingly now. There will be no difference from if they announced it two months ago to if they announce it in mid-September.
I agree with you and what you're saying and it's probably a typo, but no way in hell are they releasing these consoles in September lol.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
I still think that the "they don't want to announce 600€ price" thing doesn't hold water. If it's pricey, you gotta give time to your customers to save, can't sell out on impulse buy for such a high price.
And, if that was it, you'd think MS would announce their affordable series S next gen machine.
So, I guess logistics or wanting to save on marketing by making it viral, are the reason.
I know shit about anything other than medicine, tho.
I'm with you on saving up. I posted in another thread another reason why I don't think it makes total sense.

If you come out with a shockingly high price that will be just that - a shock. Your initial reaction will be 'OK, that's a lot of money' and perhaps 'maybe I'll wait' and so if you announce late then the last thing the customer remembers from your launch campaign is the price and it'll put people off purchasing. All of the things before it will be in the back of their minds.

Take the PS5 design. It is divisive. But there will be people who thought 'that is one fugly console' who are now 'over it' and accept what it looks like or have grown to like it as some time has passed. I can kind of include myself in that. Initially I thought it was a really bad design. I still don't like it, but I no longer have the disappointment feeling I had when I first saw it.

It'd be the same with price. If they announce too late they lose that grieving period for people to get over the shock.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
They're both waiting for the opportunity to crush the other. For Xbox it's probably price. For PS5 it's probably games. And because of that neither advantage will matter initially anyway.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I suspect by the end of the month, we'll know a lot more about these consoles. I mean, they can't really wait much longer.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Price and launch date are not precised yet, which is frustrating, but it's pretty much expected to be 499 and in early november. If either of those predictions end up wrong, they'll be in trouble because they'll have failed expectations which is a very bad marketing position.

On the positives, the Sony showcase was the best console launch showcase I can remember, as long as if we consider it was 100% straight out of the PS5. Traditionally we get lots of bullshot CGI, a couple games that will be delayed 2 or 3 years, and a couple games that will be outright canceled, some games from unproven teams or studios with no gameplay, and long pointless segments about sports franchises that come out every year anyway from 3rd parties.... It's crazy the number of critically acclaimed new franchises Sony managed to come out with during the PS4 generation, which will have a continuation on PS5. Those are day one purchases for me without even looking at reviews. They don't need to hype because they delivered last gen, so we expect those same teams to continue to deliver next gen.

I'm worried about not being able to secure a preorder, but I also feel that's such a stupid first world problem.

I also want a teardown but it's just the curiosity from my electrical engineering background. Nobody "needs" a teardown.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
From Sony's perspective, they have all of the momentum on their side. I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't want to get all of the information out there ASAP and get the preorders rolling in so they could adjust for production accordingly. Even if the PS5 is more expensive than the XSX I doubt most consumers would care.

I get why Microsoft would want to wait, being the underdog and looking for any advantage. However, it feels like interest is so low for what they're offering, and they're placing so much emphasis on Game Pass and PC, that they have nothing to lose by going first.

I just want to get my PS5 preorder in. It's already September, we should at least know the price by now.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
If this month ends and we still don't know anything about PS5 and XSX then it'll be the right time to open this thread. But not now yet.

OP
OP
dusan

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
If this month ends and we still don't know anything about PS5 and XSX then it'll be the right time to open this thread. But not now yet.
If there's really going to be something about price, release date and other important details this month -my belief is zero- nothing will be as enjoyable as destroying this fucking thread, believe me.

Last edited:

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Saying the price early is not for enthusiasts like us. It's for parents who buy these for their kids for the holiday. They need to know a head of time to budget and such. Think outside of you're own bubble people./

Oct 31, 2017
I disagree. If you announce $599 in June that means that it's going to dominate the news cycle for months. If you do it a month and half between announce and launch it's not as bad

People would have talked about it over the summer and then the games would have been front and center. Now, both prices and games will most likely clash until release day if not more.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I disagree. If you announce $599 in June that means that it's going to dominate the news cycle for months. If you do it a month and half between announce and launch it's not as bad
Man, if you tell me 6 weeks before launch that your machine is gonna cost me 600€ or more, having no optic drive or extreme power, my first reaction goes to the "know what, I can wait" camp, rather than "I need this!". And I'm enthusiast and relatively well-off.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Its 100% covid. Software development was absolutely torpedoed and neither Microsoft and Sony are being upfront about barely having launch games because of it. I would expect everything at launch to be buggy and broken.

The price thing is purely Sony trying to figure out what to charge after they had to redesign the PS5 cooling to add the boost clock stuff and it raised the bill of goods and Microsoft is deadset on being cheaper then the PS5 so they are waiting on Sony to announce price first.

Ha ha ha ha.

Unless you're not joking, then 😟

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I feel like Ps5 marketing has been really good and in the end the things we don't know yet are launch, price and UI.

Ps4 line up was announced on October 18th with the delay of Driveclub, so not knowing line up is normal rn, even more so in a pandemic.

But again, the Ps5 event from June for me was a heck of an event with tons of games, i already saved whatever it will be (500€, 100%) so they can reveal price and date whenever they want.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Why is it so important to know the price of theses consoles 2-3+ months in advance? Please explain. There's literally no reasons to do this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is right now is looks like Sony is ever so close to the price n pre order part. I think they are gonna go first.

MS still has to market the Series S. The longer the wait, the worse it is for MS.

I think Sony is trying to figure out the PS5DE price.