• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Gravity Rush and 2 was a real gem of a game series. The series was really niche though, and had some poor gameplay moments (like the stealth sections).

The only thing that bothered me is with the DLC and online content wasn't put up online. I never got the white Kat costume and never completed her home and never will :(

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
These games are charming. GR2 had so much going for it: charming characters, beautiful aesthetics, fantastic OST, great mechanics. The story was decent if needing more focus. What let the game down was the level design. Why in heck did they have so many sections where you lose your powers? Very bad design decision. Still, this series has A LOT of potentail. Like it has many ingredients to be up with the best on the system, but was let down in a somewhat bizarre way. I think the series is too good to let go though...I think it could be a better series than say Ratchet and Clank. More originality and creativity, more charming characters, at least as good aesthetic, mechanically more interesting, and more depth in general. I hope they return to it. In fact, a soft reboot would be good since changing the overall narrative wouldn't be a big deal given how garbled the story is, but keeping the excellent characters, mechanics and aesthetic. The world needs more Kat!

System2

Oct 27, 2017
California
I personally loved Gravity Rush 1 and 2. It had its flaws but I never felt they were really massive flaws. But maybe my opinion is skewed because I was so enamored by the world and it's characters. To this day tho it remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Dec 4, 2019
It bombed, im surprised it got a sequel. Sequel to me looked way more visually pleasing. More color. Questions.
Are the games short?
Are they easy trophies?
^ if both are true. Ill play both and see what the fuss is about. Or if shes just getting that anime girl hype for no reason. Dont really have a positive memory when I tried this game long ago.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see a third game on PS5. The audience is too small but even a small indie-esque release would be nice to see.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the world, the art and the characters but i could just not make it work. The missions were dull and i found the gameplay itself not very enticing. Talking about the first game here. I also own the second but never felt any desire to play it after i experienced the first one.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Beautiful environmental visuals and soundtrack

original genre and gameplay but bad combat and overall mediocre gameplay

dumb character designs aimed at horny boys

look at the bright side: the game got 3 games: One vita game, one Bluepoint remaster, and a really long and meaty sequel with a free DLC expansion even.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I said "pretty much every" which means there are some exceptions to the rule and I definitely agree with you about the games you mentioned.
Even as someone who enjoys a lot of Japan Studios work (I think they make some of Sony's most innovative new IPs), GR2 was simply not fun. I'm playing Puppeteer right now and it's one of the most ambitious games I think I've ever played. It's completely unique in presentation and executed to perfection. I'm a bit bummed it took me so many years to get around to it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Around the initial Horizon PC rumors people also heard GR2 and The Last Guardian would also be coming, so maybe it gets new life eventually.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Around the initial Horizon PC rumors people also heard GR2 and The Last Guardian would also be coming, so maybe it gets new life eventually.
I reckon Sony is publishing games on PC that they want to see sell.
Spider-Man and God of War are far more likely PC releases in the run up to their PS5 sequels.
GR2 and TLG were ridiculous suggestions at the time and seem to make less sense now.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
While they had great core mechnics they could never actually develop a fun game around them. The treasure hunt was the best part of 2 which got shut down with the servers.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's a series I really wanted to like, but I just never warmed to the gameplay and combat. It gets old quick once the novelty wears off.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed both games and have the Platinum trophy for both. I loved the world and characters, but the gameplay was merely good.

I think there's potential for the IP but not as a smash hit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I got GR2 for like five bucks. Gave it a chance because of the few people that seemingly really like the game.

It's just kinda bad, man. Awful mission design and piss poor combat (of which there's a LOT of it), full of camera issues. It looks pretty and floating around and playing with the gravity mechanics is fun, but there's nothing else to it unfortunately.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon Sony is publishing games on PC that they want to see sell.
Spider-Man and God of War are far more likely PC releases in the run up to their PS5 sequels.
GR2 and TLG were ridiculous suggestions at the time and seem to make less sense now.
Everything is gonna come anyway, these might have been considered as tests at the time before deciding on Horizon.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It was a great game that got a remaster and an even better sequel.

A combination of more ideas being realised in the sequel, and poor sales for both games mean that Japan Studio are likely to move on.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I love the world and traversal, and I think Kat is a very underrated protagonist. All those things combined pushed me through some quite dull missions and repetitive combat, even if there was a certain amount of charm to the dialogue and situations you found yourself in.

The second game's representation of a class system in its world was also quite interesting and didn't get as much attention as it probably deserved. Nothing mind blowing but it's something that relatively few games seem to tackle.

Also both game's soundtracks are some of the best of the decade.

It's over, not every IP needs to be a franchise that goes forever.
I agree here - don't be be upset at what won't be, enjoy what there is.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Does the combat really get criticised that much? I loved having to manipulate gravity to do Liu Kang kicks and chuck stuff around like I'm Jean Grey.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the combat really get criticised that much? I loved having to manipulate gravity to do Liu Kang kicks and chuck stuff around like I'm Jean Grey.
I admit, the combat isn't as good as it it should be but it is really unique and fun to play with. I feel a bit more work into it and it would become perfection.

I really want to see a sequel. The game is really unique and I still want a third game that fleshes things out even more.

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 basically felt like Gravity Rush 2 and 3 in one game and it kinda sickened me off wanting any more.

I'd much prefer it if Toyama does something new or goes back to horror.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
GR2 finally and thankfully cuts out the awful bullshit missions for the last few (of the semi-hidden "true ending") but even so it's an incredible shame how underused Jirga Para Lhao is. The entire downtown section of Lei Colmosna gets nothing besides a few challenge missions and a couple of short side missions, when it deserves its own epic boss fight.

It's also a shame that the music is so great if you make it a point to burn through the story missions as fast as possible. The ambient music is dreadfully repetitive and there's only one song per town region. So the game is a bummer to play for many side missions and even some story missions, while free roam is always awesome — but the musical experience during free roam is a drag.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Still to this day think GR1 missions are better than GR2. No forced stealth, no numerous camera taking quest I don't know how you go a step backwards when designing missions from a prequel. I understand trying to play up features for the system but there was so much of them it was obnoxious. I still love the game but more could have been done.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 had enough content for 2 and 3, so I can't really complain. As much as I'd love a sequel, atleast the series got to tell a conclusive story.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful aesthetic.

dissapointingly mediocre games.

can't really blame sony for that one.
jo0WZHA.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It pretty much finished? The second game was pretty much two or three games in one and tied up everything. GR was awesome and I would take more of that gameplay but not sure where it would go storywise

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
People weren't interested in it.

I loved the first game on the Vita and the remaster was fantastic on Ps4.

Then GR2 came out and i found it to be very mediocre, so i can't blame people for that one.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Well, aside from the fact that the second one bombed (and was clearly a more expensive production than the first), it didn't improve on the first one enough to warrant further iteration, I think. The mission design was still really uneven, and it isn't clear to me that the designers knew what bits of the mechanics were fun and which were not. The instant fail stealth missions should not have been in the game, and looking for microscopic details in the environment probably not either when your main character can literally fly and bounce off walls. The game starts extremely slowly (like super slowly) and it lasts forever. And then, oh my god, like Chapter 12. The puke hallway. Just imagine vertically kicking down a hallway while the frame rate chugs and the camera spins around in circles for like 20 minutes.

I was so disappointed. They fixed some things (stasis is really effective) and just made a super unfunny game. Kat's personality can only take it so far.

edit: I'm watching this video, and like Gravity Rush 2, I think it's twice as long as it needs to be and makes very little sense.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's not that much of a mystery. It had its run. Sony tried to make it a flagship Vita title but Vita just didn't catch on and Gravity Rush somewhat failed alongside it. it sold well enough that Sony gave it another chance to find a bigger audience on the much more successful PS4 and that flopped too, or failed to grow the franchise enough. That's about it. 🤷‍♂️

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
And if you want Tanaka you should make sure you play Resonance of Fate.

www.youtube.com

Gravity Rush 2 OST - Lei Havina

One of the tracks from Gravity Rush 2, composed by Kohei Tanaka. I strongly encourage supporting the official release once available on February 23. Buy the ...

Lei Havina though is such a fucking bop I can't help but stan.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, I don't get what's wrong with the combat, the first game is a classic, perfect length and no bloat. GR2 is great, but not as focused or as tight as the first game. I would love a GR3.

More frustrating is that some of these people probably love the first Last of Us which was definitely the definition of a game that is just "okay," but super polished. The hype around the first game made zero sense to me, but I haven't played the new one.

GR1 was just such a perfect game. Y'all don't appreciate actual greatness.

<3

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad we got a sequel which wrapped things up nicely.
There were aspects of the gameplay they never quite nailed but overall these are fantastic games. It's a crime they didn't sell.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The art style was gorgeous and the core mechanics of flying were engaging, but the game just wasn't fun to play. GR2 is one of the more overrated games on PS4 imo, the repetitive missions were just brutal. If it was a more cinematic structured game like Tomb Raider or God of War, it could be an all-timer

Pretty much. Impressive aesthetics and core gimmick aside, I finished the first game and gave it's problems a pass for being a Vita release that was hamstrung by its hardware.

I just couldn't believe the second game was built for the PS4 and stuck so closely to the original design. I suppose I was hoping or imagining a retooling of the flight and combat to better fit the hardware. It showed a lack of imagination or creativity to stick so closely to the blueprint of the first game, warts and all, while any potential for expanding the concept felt squandered.

I didn't spend too long playing the sequel and dropped it a few hours in, even after multiple attempts to win me over during that deadline countdown when some bonuses were going away when the servers dropped. The motivation that carried me past a lot of the flaws in the first just wasn't there.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Gravity Rush Remastered is one of my favourite games this gen, easily. The sequel was a step back in a lot of ways, but I still enjoyed my time with it.

The story was fairly conclusive in GR2, but the traversal and art style and particular the character of Kat are all so wonderful that it would be a crime to never revisit the franchise again. Maybe now that Shawn is gone and Jim is calling the shots, we can get some higher management that actually gives a shit about GR next time around. Remember when Sony completely ignored GR2 at E3 '16 even though it was scheduled to come out that year? That was a shitty move.

Nov 17, 2017
They should've kept all the flying and turned the actual combat into turn based. Why the fuck they didn't change the genre, I'll never know. It worked on Vita, but PS4 needed the genre shift.
That's such a weird idea, turn based combat? The combat is good. I don't really see how it being turned based would've made it sell more on PS4. It would've been so jarring.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That means jack shit when the missions are so bad that player won't be interested in doing them. No one is actually discussing the value of these as a meaning of character development.

It's not that stealth missions are the only crappy missions, it's just that they were the worst offender, but overall the missions in GR2 are pretty bad.

Now that's something up for debate. I personally love the traversal in GR2, but there really isn't much incentive to actually uh, traverse the world. You either get crappy side missions or you have to find obscure collectibles. The big open world and most of the stuff you can do in it doesn't seem to play with the game's strengths.

The missions are pretty standard for open-world titles. The difference is that the game uses narrative contextualization to develop its world in a way that most open-world games, especially western games, don't do. The world doesn't serve to be a glorified menu screen between missions to fill an exp bar. That's what sets GR2's open-world apart from competitors. The missions transcend "busy work" because you're playing a slice of life simulation at that point, similar to Persona's social aspect.

It's what makes it a niche title. It hinges heavily on how invested in the world and characters you are, but it does a great job of that and it's why the fans the game does have ardently support it. Gravity Rush isn't too dissimilar from Shenmue in that regard.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
They should've kept all the flying and turned the actual combat into turn based. Why the fuck they didn't change the genre, I'll never know. It worked on Vita, but PS4 needed the genre shift.
How about no?

Gravity Rush had some of the most unique gameplay ever. If you want turn based games then fine but don't change something that a lot of people like.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
How about no?

Gravity Rush had some of the most unique gameplay ever. If you want turn based games then fine but don't change something that a lot of people like.

Lmao like what, you may as well make a completely different game at that point. It would have sold even less had they done this because the few fans the first game did have wouldn't have purchased it.

I can fully understand why some people wouldn't like GR but I am a bit perplexed as to why it garners so much vitriol on this website. It shouldn't really be a divisive game, but you have people, even in this thread, voicing vehement disdain for it.

Last edited: