• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The art style was gorgeous and the core mechanics of flying were engaging, but the game just wasn't fun to play. GR2 is one of the more overrated games on PS4 imo, the repetitive missions were just brutal. If it was a more cinematic structured game like Tomb Raider or God of War, it could be an all-timer

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It bombed. Still think GR2 easily a top 3 game from Sony this gen.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Dec 23, 2017
The world of Gravity Rush doesn't get enough recognition, it's a beautiful place and setting.

Gameplay wise, it was alright, but I wish there was more interaction with the cities.

Someday, I'd love to see this series on PC, given new life.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it really wasn't that fun to play. nice animation and art style tho, if I had to choose between Japan Studio developing another GR or Silent Hill I'm taking Silent Hill all day every day

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
It fucking breaks my heart; Gravity Rush 1&2 are one of my favorite games this gen and all that talk(at least on old GAF/ERA) about Sony needing to switch it up with their story driven ips and no one bought that shit.

Then act all surprised when Sony shut the servers down.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It was too niche, not everybody is going to find it enjoyable to play, and the mission design was all over the shop. Sony also dropped the ball with advertising and abandoned it as fast as possible.

Still the best PS4 exclusive.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
I'll echo sentiments of bad mission design. In both the first and second game, the actual gameplay mechanics were very rarely used in interesting ways. Despite the great visuals and characters, and how fun it could be to move around in the world, most story missions and sidequests were tedious. The rushed ending to the story was also kind of a mess, but understandable given the circumstances around it.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I'd fucking pay anything to see a GR3, that amazing world and the flying/moon jumping mechanics in GR2 made for one hell of a majestic game, felt like I was in a Ghibli masterpiece.

GR2 is Sony's best first party title of this gen. #fact

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sony didn't even try to really market it over here. It's actually embarrassing how they more-or-less left it to die.

Oct 24, 2019
Only played the first one, it was extremely mediocre to me. Likable protagonist and interesting premise, but I got so goddamn bored of just flying around and collecting crystals. The combat was really bad to me.

Still been meaning to try out GR 2 since it looks better though

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 1 was great but 2, while gorgeous, was supremely boring doing anything but floating around.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If they do make GR3, they need to drop the sidequests or stop outsourcing them. So a huge blemish.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Also Kat for Smash Bros. Why not? It's not like anything else is going on with this franchise.
Word, i feel that Kat would be the best choice of a Smash character as she would have a pretty cool gravity-based moveset and she would fit right in, shame that she doesn't have the same notability as Banjo & Kazooie

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I absolutely love the first game. Played it on vita and just recently on PS4 and it holds up great. It's smaller in size/scope and I think that's to its benefit.

GR2 on the other-hand, I feel like it tried to do too much rather than perfect on what it had done prior.
Would love to see a GR3, but I would need it to take queues from 1 rather than 2. Since outside some very nice visuals and art-pieces there just isn't much I recall liking from GR2. While I can gush all day about GR1.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
The games never really capitalized on the potential of the series, which is a shame. There could be a truly great game in there one day.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
It's an achievement in a sense they managed to make some boring mediocre games with such an interesting game mechanics, character and world design and beautiful art style.

GR2's side quests are one of the worst thing I have played in the past 5 years or so. Eww.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
GR1 had a good core idea but a poor game built around it, then GR2 took absolutely no criticism on board and had every issue the first game had plus new issues of its own. Not surprising in the slightest that it bombed.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Sony happened.
They didn't care about it. They just needed to kill the Vita asap.
One of the best vita experiences.

Oct 25, 2017
It fucking breaks my heart; Gravity Rush 1&2 are one of my favorite games this gen and all that talk(at least on old GAF/ERA) about Sony needing to switch it up with their story driven ips and no one bought that shit.

Then act all surprised when Sony shut the servers down.
To be fair, if every Era user bought a copy of Gravity Rush 2, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever to its bomba status. It may be more of a case of how much we don't represent the general audience than people being hypocrites.

Full disclosure, I own both PS4 releases.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It's an achievement in a sense they managed to make some boring mediocre games with such an interesting game mechanics, character and world design and beautiful art style.

GR2's side quests are one of the worst thing I have played in the past 5 years or so. Eww.
Pretty much. I've only played the first game on the Vita and in all technical aspects it makes me want to like it so, so bad. But they completely forgot to make the game fun, the gyro gimmicks are the only thing it has going for it.

Haven't played GR2 yet despite owning a copy.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Like 3 people bought it.

To be fair the original game is not that great, good mechanics but the levels are super boring, the enemies are generic blobs, combat is bad, and also it was on Vita so I'm guesing only 10 people even knew about it. After the original I didn't have much faith in the sequel being that great a game so I decided to wait for a sale eventually and just forgot.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best Sony first party franchise IMO. Both games were phenomenal. Kat is a fantastic character and we need more of her in the future.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Just be glad we got two

The sense of falling/flying was perfectly realised

Maybe we'll get Gravity Rush VR

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I bought the first one twice and bought the second one day 1.

Hated the gameplay and mission structure, loved everything else.

Nov 17, 2017
People are talking about sidequests but you actually need to play the game to really know that and I doubt that was a major factor in sales. I just don't think GR appeals to PlayStation players, it always struck me as more of a Nintendo game in both gameplay and style. Kat is great too but from the outside looking in, she's a cutesy anime girl and that's not gonna grab most people. Plus, Sony barely advertised it and it originated on the Vita so when the sequel came out, it didn't really have much of a fanbase built and people would be less likely to buy a game with 2 at the end if they hadn't heard of the first game.

I absolutely love the first game. Played it on vita and just recently on PS4 and it holds up great. It's smaller in size/scope and I think that's to its benefit.

GR2 on the other-hand, I feel like it tried to do too much rather than perfect on what it had done prior.
Would love to see a GR3, but I would need it to take queues from 1 rather than 2. Since outside some very nice visuals and art-pieces there just isn't much I recall liking from GR2. While I can gush all day about GR1.
I played 1 Remastered immediately followed by 2 and thought 2 was better in every way. I've gone back to 2 but 1 is so limited and repetitive by comparison it's just pointless going back imo. The big sticking points is how Kat controls much better in 2 and that there's more variety in movement and combat whereas in the first game, it quickly devolved into doing the gravity kick over and over.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I liked the first game and was excited the second would get more areas. I love the graphics and presentation of both games. 2 felt quite a hit bloated and could not believe I was still getting tutorials near the end.

If they shortened some of the levels, I would've been fine with it but as much as there's a lot more variety in 2, I enjoyed 1 more.

Still, I hope we get a third game at some point, maybe after a few years, to get the nostalgia up a bit first.

I wouldn't say no to a 1 and 2 bundle on PS5 though, or t least make both game b/C.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful aesthetic.

dissapointingly mediocre games.

can't really blame sony for that one.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Funding a full fledged sequel, with better graphics, a larger marketing campaign, and an overall larger scope after some really soft sales for the first game was a financial risk. Thing is, it wasn't one that paid off. The gaming community in general was not very interested in the IP. Feel like it's odd to blame the publisher in this case.