• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The first season is okay, but near the end, there's an incredibly stupid plot point that basically exist to subvert expectations, and clearly no one bothered to actually come up with a replacement for the character they kill.

But they do.

It's Nunnally, did you forget? And this ties into a chunk of Lelouch's story where he doesn't want to see what happened to Euphemia happen to Nunnally.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This will explain everything:

hGxXtON.jpg

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Code Geass's story is much deeper than most Gundam imo. Also you should watch the OVA Akito the Exiled. So good.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there a part where Lelouch pre-records himself having a conversation with someone, perfectly predicting every single thing they'd say?
Yes. R2 is a massive trainwreck and the best example of a writer just coming up with stuff that sounded cool without checking if they made any sense.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You've seen the "not this shit again" meme, right?

This show is GLORIOUS. It falls apart towards the end though, but it is so enjoyable just for Lelouch. Watch it.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just finished the first series this week.
I was never a fan of the character designs, but after seeing some of the mecha designs over the years I decided to finally watch it.

It was entertaining but some of the twists and characterizations were just bullshit, especially in season 2.

Trying go decide if it's worth watching the sequels now.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Season 1 was pretty great in my opinion but season 2 was a mess, some characters made 360 decisions I hated, some some characters were just unlikable.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Trying go decide if it's worth watching the sequels now.
This reminded me that I remember there being rumbling about a season 3 a while ago that I completely forgot about, but it turns out it's actually just a sequel to the movie adaptations (with an alternate timeline) and never actually existed to begin with. What the hell?

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The two most brilliant masterminds on the show believe spending 8 turns to move the king into the middle of the board in a midgame chess match is a sound strategy.

Seems like a sound analogy for the show

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's dumb but perfect for a weekend binge since you'll only remember the major plot points and forget alle the stupid details in between. R2 is insanely dumb and nonsensical sometimes, but the end is top tier.
That said, it's one of my top 10 anime and I will never rewatch it because 10 years later, I'll probably be way more bothered by the plot holes and I prefer it staying a pleasant memory.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
OP, I'm about to issue you a standard Bright Noah slap- Code Geass is pretty great.

And compared to IBO, it's greater. Also, season 2 falters a bit but overall it's good.

Give it a shot.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if season 2 is a trainwreck, the mech designs are pretty sweet. In fact I still know how most of the mechs look like but I forgot most of the story of season 2 while I could probably still outline the broad strokes of season 1.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite trashy anime of all time . Crazy mood swings (from a character death to a school club episode complete to mass destruction) ridiculous one upsmanship that keeps escalating to the point where a terrible weapon that was used once ends up being used like 20x in the final battle like skittles. I personally love the mecha battles and how the craziness unfolds. It's like a much better version of Gundam Seed/Destiny with Death Note mixed in

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A true gold standard in anime dumb fun that can be genuinely great one moment and then hilariously bad in an almost endearing way the next (granted, that's more a season 2 thing).

tumblr_mnugktRASw1rs4yfmo1_250.gifv

Gotta go dub for Cripsin Freeman hamming it up here, JYB shenanigans, Yuri Lowenthal losing his shit on the regular and the emperor who might give you Street Fighter 4 boss beatdown flashbacks.
But you do have to endure Nunally who has the WORST english voice over, it sounds like a parody of the character.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Code Geass is... Something alright. It's both the greatest and the dumbest anime ever and even 10 years later I can't decide if it's actually good, but it is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Gurren Lagann over Code Geass over my life

Mar 30, 2019
It's the first time I heard of the magnificent bastard trope. It is absolutely ridiculous yet very entertaining. I really had a hard time believing such a show existed while it played out before me. So incredibly anime lol.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Fuckery: The Anime.

(Which is even more hilarious when you find out the writers were just winging it.)

I do like the fact that you can actually see significant improvements in tech as the series goes on.
Like Knightmares going from ground-based units, to the important ones finally achieving flight, and then all the grunt units being able to fly towards the end of the series.
Not to mention CRAZY improvements in weaponry. *coughNUKEScough*

But yeah, it's a ride.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
It was great when I was still in HS.
I got to rewatch some episodes a few weeks ago, it didn't age so well.

It's an entertaining mess.
Geass eye powers is cool af tho.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's high school Gundam for people that hate mech anime and love Clamp. At least that's my completely uniformed opinion.

Also, isn't there a character that gets off on the end of a coffee table or am I just insane?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There is one scene (those who have watched it know) that gets me very sad and upset that happens to a character. However this character's fate is rectified in the movie trilogy canon. Overall it is entertaining and fun. Lelouch is a great character.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Fun fact... Goro Taniguchi is one of my all-time fave directors.

Loved what he did juggling shows with rich ensemble casts rife with over-the-top melodrama in both Infinite Ryvius and Planetes.

I also adore high quality dubs... trashy anime serials... and shrimp on pizza.

I have not watched Code Grass.

I should rectify this error, correct?

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
It's the poster child for dumpster fire anime, but it can be very entertaining. I'd recommended to watch it drunk or with like minded friends so you can all laugh at the absurdity of it.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's a political thriller more than a super robot show. Also, lots of high school hijinx.

I wouldn't call it a good political thriller, but it's dumb enough that it's fun.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It is about a boy who rebels against an evil Empire by uniting the Japanese against them but his best friend also works for said Empire which causes lots of drama and fiction. He also has the power to control minds.

Season 1 is a well done thriller and Season 2 is kinda ass but is one hell of a ride and has a really well done final episode.

It and Gurren Lagann are basically the mecha anime's swan song. While there have been a handful of mechas since, those were basically the last of the genre to really become huge phenomena. It's incredibly melodramatic but the music and fairy tale-esque theming make it come off as almost play-like in its drama.

Like most mecha anime, it is a Zeta clone but definitely much more ambitious one and even then I'm only saying that because you wanted to put it on the Gundam scale.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I'd highly recommend it.

Like others have said it's good but melodramatic. Operatic even.

The mechs are cool but it's not a mecha anime at its core. In he manga adaption they're removed entirely. The battles can still be fun though and during the first season they move differently the other anime mechs in that they basically have wheels and use grapple lines to climb. It gi es them a different dynamic than most other mecha battles. It was one of my favorite things about them, which unfortunately they ditched in the second season where they all just fly.

It's interesting inversion to see a mastermind schemer character as a protagonist while the good hearted kid who just wants peace becomes the antagonist, which is sold by the amazing dub.

The stick figure anime style is annoying, but you do get used to it, and it's worth pushing through.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show that starts off strong, has one of the dumbest twist I've ever seen in any medium towards the end of S1, then is garbage for most of S2 until its actually pretty good ending.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite anime of all time, with Lelouch being one of the most relatable characters in fiction.

Loved EVERYTHING about it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's high school Gundam for people that hate mech anime and love Clamp. At least that's my completely uniformed opinion.

Also, isn't there a character that gets off on the end of a coffee table or am I just insane?

A mere coffee table is not nearly enough to satisfy Nina, the Ravenous.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest of not the greatest anime of all time. My personal favorite at the least. Watch season 1 and 2. They're great. The sequel movie is a continuation of recap films that have some major plot differences and is basically dependent on the viewer having nostalgia for the franchise so if you watch right after you probably won't like it. Wait a couple years, watch the recap films, and then watch it. Don't watch Akito. It feels like it has potential at first but the latter half and especially the ending are awful.