• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
A bud recommended the film to me. I've heard of it thousands of time, so it's not like I was blissfully unaware of the movie, but I decided to watch the trailer and it looks like an entirely different film than the "pitch-perfect melodrama" that my friend described.

Lmao

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I quite like the film, it's pretty good. Just watch it, I'd say her there's a good chance you'll like it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I dunno, looks like a trailer from the early 2000's.

The movie is certainly more "actiony" than the book, and takes its liberties, but it's certainly heavy on the costume melodrama. This trailer just looks like marketing trying to sell this as another swashbuckler like the Mask of Zorro to get butts in seats. It's a decent enough movie on its own though. Guy Pierce is such a perfectly punchable piece of shit lol

Also it has a young Henry Cavill being a young naive dork, which is hilarious because when he got cast as Superman, there was this moment where I went "the kid from Count of Monte Cristo? I dunno, he seems like *sees photo* OH MY GOD."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a symptom of the time it was made in, you can see a lot of shitty trailers for good stuff from that time period.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i did a book report on this in school and didnt read the book and made up the book report

i got an f

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this is just how trailers were then. they're always ridiculous. A year or so after this everyone started copying the Lord of the Rings trailer with the cover of the Requiem for a Dream theme and put epic choir in everything; that stuck around for a while until the Inception trailer made synchronizing action to horn honks popular; we're in the latter days of breathy indie female vocalists covering classic pop songs in trailers right now. all commercials follow rigid and ridiculous trends

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, that trailer is something.

"exposition" *slash!*
"smarmy Guy Pearce or James Frain line" *slash!*
"Count On Revenge!" *slash!*
"I'm a Count..." *slash!* "not a saint."

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love this movie. The Count of Monte Cristo and The Man in the Iron Mask goes hand in hand for me...for some reason.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
OP you have a shit friend for recommending you the crime that film commits against the book.

Read the book instead.

Dec 31, 2017
Lol.

The book is like 1000x better than this film; it's one of the best ever. The film is still ok though for what it is though I suppose; it's hard to shorten the entire book to one movie.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
this is just how trailers were then. they're always ridiculous. A year or so after this everyone started copying the Lord of the Rings trailer with the cover of the Requiem for a Dream theme and put epic choir in everything; that stuck around for a while until the Inception trailer made synchronizing action to horn honks popular; we're in the latter days of breathy indie female vocalists covering classic pop songs in trailers right now. all commercials follow rigid and ridiculous trends
*SINGLE PIANO NOTE*

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I actually like the Anime. Being a 26 episode anime means it can go into detail that a movie, or even miniseries can't.
It hits some plot points that most other adaptions miss (Haydee, for example, is often cut).
The book is the best way to experience the story. Still I think the anime does a surprisingly good job of adapting the source material.

Keep in mind, though, that there are some major changes compared to the book that dramatically alters the ending. It's a wonderful companion, but no replacement.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Great film. Terrible trailer.

This is accurate.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I love this movie. The Count of Monte Cristo and The Man in the Iron Mask goes hand in hand for me...for some reason.

Both are based on the work of French author Alexandre Dumas and were filmed within 4 years of each other (and with Mask coming out 5 years after The Three Musketeers in fact, I guess the 90's were a good time for Dumas movies).

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
It's an awful adaptation of the book, otherwise harmless as a film. The ending especially completely misses the point of the book.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"And don't ever call yourself my friend again"

That's what I remember from the trailer. The book is awesome btw.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
The book is amazing. This movie is not. Or at least I hated it at the time, nowadays I barely remember it.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
the book is really really good by the way

still super engaging and exciting even today

im kinda mad at myself for accidentally reading the abridged, so I'll have to re read it soon. almost all my qualms were things that were cut out of the original for the abridged version

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not the best book ever written, then it's certainly the most fun. Accept no substitute.

the book is really really good by the way

still super engaging and exciting even today

im kinda mad at myself for accidentally reading the abridged, so I'll have to re read it soon. almost all my qualms were things that were cut out of the original for the abridged version

Heh, this happened to me since we read the abridged version for high school, then a few years later I bought the real version. It was like reading my favorite book completely fresh all over again.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the book. I liked the movie its obviously an adaptation but a fun one. Funny thing you can see a young Henry Cavill and Guy Pierce weird faces.

Anybody remember Revenge with Emily VanCamp? lol

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The Robin Buss translation is the definitive translation of the novel for anyone wondering which unabridged version to get.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
This is still the best of the adaptations:

51V2C91FTGL._SY445_.jpg

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer gave away the entire movie, almost in order, like a condensed version to destroy any need to actually go and see it.

At least they held back and didn't reveal the sandwich.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's an awful trailer, but the movie is worth watching. It's a lot of fun.