• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If you're watching the show, you should stop.
If you're reading the manga, you should most assuredly stop. It becomes such crap near the end. It's just nonsense. Reading it monthly was painful.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the anime at its original run, and read the manga a couple of months ago, so I've been looking for an opportunity to discuss (thanks OP).

The anime was not as good as the manga.
The manga had higher highs but what the fuck, that ending... also, vampires, seriously?

Like, the alien invasion final arc had moral subtlety and was overall great. But the ending, that was a dumpster fire. I mean, the invaders were basically human despite (or because of!) their savagery, or essentially human-like. The female invader sacrificed herself to save her people, whom the protagonist proceeds to nuke to dust. What the fuck? What a wasted opportunity.

The Nurarihyon arc was the best. That alien was godlike, distant, and terrifying, and the inclusion of traditional Japanese mythology was excellent.

Of course, I'm ignoring the heavy fanservice and rape-y aspects to praise Gantz. Taking those into account, it was painful to watch and read.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I watched the anime at its original run, and read the manga a couple of months ago, so I've been looking for an opportunity to discuss (thanks OP).

The manga had higher highs but what the fuck, that ending... also, vampires, seriously?

Like, the alien invasion final arc had moral subtlety and was overall great. But the ending, that was a dumpster fire. I mean, the invaders were basically human despite (or because of!) their savagery, or essentially human-like. The female invader sacrificed herself to save her people, whom the protagonist proceeds to nuke to dust. What the fuck? What a wasted opportunity.

The Nurarihyon arc was the best. That alien was godlike, distant, and terrifying, and the inclusion of traditional Japanese mythology was excellent.

Of course, I'm ignoring the heavy fanservice and rape-y aspects to praise Gantz. Taking those into account, it was painful to watch and read.
My favorite part was probably the alien Kuroko had to fight alone and which found him in his normal life. I liked Gantz even though it had its problems

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the concept for Gantz was really good. And there were some great character moments, but yeah it is not a good overall product. Some of the scenes are so cringy.

Ninja

Oct 28, 2017
You guys are taking gantz way too seriously. It's a ridiculous manga. It has random video game characters randomly appearing as characters in the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhhh, Gantz is trash. I always thought the Vampires were hilarious. He introduces Vampires that want to kill our main characters, has them be really important for a few arcs, then kills the majority of them off, and sticks the last two in the game with our main characters, then they just do nothing for the rest of the manga.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to be shocked by crazy anime antics so I watched six episodes and it was boring. Like, there was gore and nudity, but you survive that and so much nothing happens.
Thing happens on first episode. And that is the entire episode.
Someone announces they will hunt aliens. And that's an entire fucking episode.
They find a tiny alien. You get the idea. Every episode is this almost nothing that happened and meanwhile people don't behave like humans, they ignore basic communication to act like idiots for no reason.
Everyone is an idiot. I get the intention was to be edgy and "people are assholes" and yes, everyone is a dick, but they are also genuinely not functioning as thinking sentient beings.
I wanted to be entertained by weird gore and there was a tiny bit of that in a sea of people who are just idiots.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
You guys are taking gantz way too seriously. It's a ridiculous manga. It has random video game characters randomly appearing as characters in the story.
Going into Gantz with the expectation of a serious, mature story is the worst thing you can do. Just enjoy the ridiculousness of it all. From the blackface massacre over the guy fucking a giant boob alien (and that's not even the only scene of alien fucking) to
the main character dying, then getting revived, TWICE, so both love interests can fuck a clone
It's all just a crazy ride.

Oct 29, 2017
Arsenal Gear
I remember I was pretty big into the manga yearssss ago, But I mean I knew it was junkfood going in, very, then again i was like a teen, maybe it won't hold up on a re-read and watch. lol.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the manga with all the over the top weapons and suits. Too bad the ending was rushed.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The manga has an awesome art due the mixing of computer generated locations, weapons and vehicles and the extremely good hand drawing and the nice integration between both methods (which is hard to attain). But in terms of screenplay is just garbage, random dudes (oftenly copy & pasting characters from other videogames) against random foes in a random sandbox arena, without much sense or coherence.

Never saw the animes; the live movies were bland but decent in terms of fx. If you wanna see manga with great art and great stories take a look over Blade of Inmortal, Vagabond and Berserk. If you wanna keep the mix of great art + non sensical plot and fanservice then I think that Bastard!! is miles ahead.

CriticalBeast

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Lewisham
I remember gantz it's one of the most fucked up things I've ever read and I watched. If you like the tone of the show I suggest you should watch Inuyashiki it's from the same creator, buts it's more suttle in its execution.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Gantz is such trash but as I am a raccoon, I enjoy picking from the garbage (another really fucking bad manga that for some reason I couldn't stop reading is Dead Tube, like it is atrociously bad and juvenile with so much gore and rape yet somehow maintaining a shonen tag while also being just fucking bad as hell).

If you want to read actual good manga it's surprisingly not hard to find but trash is even easier to find.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Remember at the end when
Some kind of god aliens came, they just said they did it for fun, revived everyone, killed them off again, told the humans they wouldnt understand their concept and then were just like "kthxbye"?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Remember at the end when
Some kind of god aliens came, they just said they did it for fun, revived everyone, killed them off again, told the humans they wouldnt understand their concept and then were just like "kthxbye"?
ytpbbvp.jpg

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read through the first 20 volumes ( I think there are 37 volumes in total) last year. It became less trashy/fan-service-y as it went along but it also got super weird (the introduction of the vampires) and way too many new characters were being added.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The protagonist is a sex offender who is always horny and a unrelenting prick to anyone including the nicest dude alive. All the female supporting characters have massive breast and have zero personality besides liking a dude. The dog licking scene and the guy who's a eighths grader but looks like he's 25 and acts like he's 40. How the fuck those shit get 25 episodes?

The manga ran for 13 years. People absolutely loved this shit.

Remember at the end when
I'm pretty sure this was just a veiled message from the mangaka being like "I'm out of ideas, thanks for the money!"

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
The anime is bad but the Manga was great. Well up until the third phase then it goes downhill fast.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I recommend people check out Inuyashiki. The mangaka even shits on Gantz throughout it, showing some level of self reflection over how ridiculous it was.

I enjoyed Gantz simply because it was drawn really well and it was pants on head crazy.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The manga is actually great until Osaka. And maybe a little after... mainly the "normal life" scenes until THAT EVENT happened.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It was so weird but so good. The vampires were so badass. Hiroya Oku is such an interesting artist, trapped between his love for pinups and body horror, one of his earlier works was about a large breasted high school girl that falls in love with a small breasted high school girl.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
It was batshit crazy, but really well drawn with some excellent concepts apart from the ending arc which was Hiroya Oku just going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and peacing the f out.
At least there's all the hot cosplay.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gantz is a scumbag power fantasy. How else would you explain the ending? lol

As terrible as it was I always felt it had a pretty realistic depiction of humanity in it. And eventually the manga settles down with a pretty decent cast of characters, but its completely undermined by having all Aliens be replaced by shitty blobs of 3D art.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Not even ashamed to admit that Gantz is my second most favourite mangan of all time, just behind Berserk. I just fell in love with it's absolute insanity and mystery. I still love it. Anime was really shit though. Manga gets a pretty good cast of characters when it goes past anime's arcs (and of course forgoes the anime ending). It was just a really fun read to me with all it's crazy shit.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What would I give for racist and sexist free mature Anime with good stories, characters and dialogue that don't seem to have been written by 5 year olds.

Wow wow hey wtf!?

The fuck is with these forums and anime generalizations?

Also, Gantz is shit, i was working on a Comic store when it got published here and everyone was hyped as fuck. Managed to read three tomes before completely dumping it.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Space Michael is canon and for that, Gantz is the Best/Worst manga series I followed back in High School.

Or was that Tenjo Tenge..?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious and great. I love the fact the protag is a whiny prick. You should watch the dub if you haven't already, it nails what his voice should sound like.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
The anime is alright-ish, and the live action adaptations are straight garbage, but the CG movie Gantz:0 is actually pretty good. Worth checking out.

I also liked the manga, but I enjoy filthy trash, so it speaks to me.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
The anime is alright-ish, and the live action adaptations are straight garbage, but the CG movie Gantz:0 is actually pretty good. Worth checking out.

I also liked the manga, but I enjoy filthy trash, so it speaks to me.

Its a shame the CG movie wasn't closer to the manga arc, that's the moment Gantz dialed the insanity and filthy to 11 and ran with it.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The protagonist is a sex offender who is always horny and a unrelenting prick to anyone including the nicest dude alive. All the female supporting characters have massive breast and have zero personality besides liking a dude. The dog licking scene and the guy who's a eighths grader but looks like he's 25 and acts like he's 40. How the fuck those shit get 25 episodes?
With all the manga comments I'm really surprised no one brought up Kei's girlfriend which they never got to in the anime. She's pretty much a normal and rather unpopular girl his age, by normal I mean just that a normal person, she doesn't have a super sexy body or a beautiful face, shes completely average and Kei ends up falling head over heels for her. It's not done super well or anything but it was nice that she was the one who Kei ultimately cared about rather then say... Reika... well at least the main Kei did but thats another can of worms I don't want to really open right now.

Gantz was as insane and over the top as you could get, I think the actual concept is really genius and I liked the basic setup but I figured the plot wasn't ever really going to go anywhere interesting and yeah was completely right about that one. I'll give it credit for at least never stopping with the insanity throughout the whole run and it does have some interesting characters and some pretty great moments but yeah I wouldn't call it a masterwork of art or anything.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Did you just watch the anime? Gantz is pure filth but once it settles on a semi permanent cast everyone gets pretty good character development. While the main character is trash he is no trashier than a kid his age being exposed to naked women for the first time, he eventually develops pretty nicely, never stops being a loser, but he isn't as much in your face about it. He also ends up falling in love with a girl who has none of the traits of the typical Gantz women, and the manga is pretty clear about why the hell he is like he is.

The manga even goes on to feature genuinely good people, like the thugish dude who ends up adopting the little kid who looks up to him, or one of the members of the Osaka team that promises to bring back a girl who sacrificed her life to help the Tokyo team and eventually does so.

Don't think of this as a defense of Gantz. There is alot about it that is pretty indefensible. But I think in the end what attracted alot people to it is that it has a pretty authentic depiction of humanity, give kids/scumbags/losers super suit and super weapons and they are not going to become super heroes. Even if you direct them into becoming super heroes (why else do you think they have bombs in their heads?) they will still do it in the most messed up way.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the main character actually redeemed himself throughout the manga.

Anyway, the final arc is like proto-Attack On Titan, and I actually like Gantz overall more than AOT.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Kurono does redeem himself over the course of the manga.

I made it up to the vampires before losing interest.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
I thought the main character actually redeemed himself throughout the manga.

Anyway, the final arc is like proto-Attack On Titan, and I actually like Gantz overall more than AOT.
He does and has a semi normal relationship and so does the "other one". Gantz is definitely a wild ride though, get interesting with the explanation of the sphere and the invasion.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gantz manga ending is one of the lamest ending ever, like somebody else take over the manga and was instructed to end it in 3 chapters.

I still have the series on my bookshelf. I think the reason it's special to me it that it hits alot of my secret fetish buttons.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like rape aspects of the manga were used to show how terrible humanity was. It seemed like everyone outside of the main cast were terrible humans that were no different or even worse than the aliens.

Also the manga was rushed as fuck post Osaka mission. That was the turning point where they could have went in a different route and have Kato be the main hero for a few arcs.