• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Old story, but I didn't see a thread. The video is a must-watch

El4QCy9WMAA1_4p

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing taught me well enough to immediately recognize the fish.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to hear Boston accent and think of the weird cat video.

Now I'll think of weird cat and sunfish

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Even more Boston fun!
Let me know if pointing out accents is a no go because I can see the argument

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I just googled "Sunfish" and apparently it's literally called "Moonfish" in german.

Would love to have attended that heated debate.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I almost reacted like that the first time the exec sous chef opened a box, pulled out a sunfish, and told me to have it cleaned and portioned for service.

Dude was always testing me with wild fish I'd never seen before the moment.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I'm going to call the Wareham PD from a burner tomorrow and tell them there's a strange fish in the local pond. 🤣

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time since I've seen that sunfish video.

For those unaware, the Jay video is from like 5 years ago and not related to this Broad Cove thing.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I almost reacted like that the first time the exec sous chef opened a box, pulled out a sunfish, and told me to have it cleaned and portioned for service.

Dude was always testing me with wild fish I'd never seen before the moment.
Is it similar to any other fish you've cleaned?

(love fresh and saltwater fish but never dealt with an ocean sunfish).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Is it similar to any other fish you've cleaned?

(love fresh and saltwater fish but never dealt with an ocean sunfish).
Similar? No, not at all, it's an alien. Well, it's flat-ish. Mola Mola has no bony skeleton to worry about, but the skin is a thick, tough collagen, and the meat is gelatinous. Don't even think about the organs because they're full of parasites. Probably easier to see it. Dude doesn't use much artistic grace but you'll get the idea of its body and meat:

Opah (known as sunfish or moonfish depending on the region) is structured more like a traditional flatfish, minus the spine running down the center separating the filets. It's really easy to filet and has a ton of different cuts, like a cow almost.

I dealt with one sunfish, and this was do to very unique circumstances. Stick to Opah.