• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What systems do you think Street Fighter 6 will come out on?

• Current-gen only, multplatform (PS5, XSX|S, PC)

Votes: 280 35.0%
  • Current-gen only, PlayStation console exclusive (PS5, PC)

Votes: 93 11.6%
  • Cross-gen, multiplatform (PS5, PS4, XSX|S, XB1, PC)

Votes: 313 39.1%
  • Cross-gen, PlayStation console exclusive (PS5, PS4, PC)

Votes: 90 11.2%
  • Cross-gen, including Switch (PS5, PS4, XSX|S, XB1, Switch, PC)

Votes: 25 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If it's cross-gen, I imagine it'll only include the PS4, if only for the sake of Tournaments.

I don't think it'll be Console Exclusive to Playstation though. Unlike the start of last-gen, Capcom ain't exactly on their deathbed in desperate need of a production deal. Just a shame that I doubt it'll be cross-platform as a consequence though.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I would almost say Capcom has an obligation to the fighting game world to set a standard of multiplatform and full cross play.

So that's my guess. No last gen.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly they'd be foolish to not get a Switch version of the game out. Street Fighter 4 was running on the 3DS for Christ's sake.
Dusk Golem mentioned that RE Engine games have to account for the Switch from the start to be brought to the system. And if Capcom failed in their attempt to port RE7, SF6 definitely isn't coming over. Maybe the Switch Drake could get the game, but not the current Switch. And considering that the fighting game audience on the current Switch isn't exactly that big anyway (outside of first-party games, obviously), I doubt Capcom will be losing all that much by skipping it.

Also, SSFIV 3DS isn't exactly the best point of comparison considering that Capcom never bothered to update that version of the game, something that wouldn't fly today.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same people who are adamant about SF6 being cross gen will be the same people in 5 years who are complaining about how poorly optimised SF6 is.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Honestly they'd be foolish to not get a Switch version of the game out. Street Fighter 4 was running on the 3DS for Christ's sake.

SFIV was not running on the 3DS actually. They had to rebuild the game using a mobile version of the MT Frameworks engine (SFIV was not an MT Frameworks game).

That's why there wasn't a Wii/Wii U port. I'm pretty sure the 3DS version was built alongside the SFIV Volt mobile game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put money on PC/XB/PS, with modern gen only.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sony paid for exclusivity again if they view SF as similar to FF in that they sort of want to "pay" for the perception that Playstation is home to that series.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully PS5/PC/XS, but my brain is telling me PS5/PC because they didn't announce any platforms during the reveal, so if I were a betting man, Sony will show it and announce it's a console exclusive because they bought EVO and Street Fighter is top billing on the show. Makes too much sense for Sony to moneyhat the biggest fighting game IP for the show they own.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
IMO it would make far more sense for Sony to simply be the primary sponsor of the Capcom Pro Tour rather than paying to make SF6 a full console exclusive indefinitely. That isn't going to be cheap nowadays.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In light of Exoprimal, I'm now starting to lean towards cross-gen for SF6.

Scratch that, I'm sticking to my guns.

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I said cross Gen makes the most sense, and I still think that's happening. It would be very Capcom for them to release a next Gen exclusive version down the line anyway

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm leaning Playstation platform exclusive and PC.

Then again, probably not because if that was the case its reveal would have been via a PlayStation outlet.

So..... on everything except the switch.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's gonna be cross-gen which isn't that big of a disappointment considering it's a fighting game and not an open-world game or something. For these games all the SSDs will probably mean is faster loading times and not a change to the core fundamentals.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Cross play between ps5 and Series consoles.

Cross play between ps4/xone, switch, and steam.

The capcom way.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Before the reveal I thought a cross gen game was more likely. After the reveal... nah, it's next gen only and PC.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Voted current gen cross platform. OK if it is last gen as well so long as there is an option to disable cross play with last gen.

Also if this gets money hatted again I will say goodbye to my all time favorite series once and for all.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Probably cross-gen, unfortunately. The subtle graphical imperfections in the trailer were already making me lean towards that possibility and Exoprimal being cross-gen sealed the deal.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Last chance to place your bets in case tomorrow's State of Play shows off SF6.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS5, Xbox Series and PC. Other platforms like Stadia might come later.

They're not gonna be actively supporting SF6 across 5+ platforms with content updates for 7 years. And they haven't done full console exclusivity for a flagship title since SF5.

Last edited:

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
ReEngine runs well on last gen hardware, on this basis I'm guessing that it'll release on everything minus Switch and Stadia.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
PS5, Xbox Series, & PC Playstation will have the marketing deal and possibly exclusive content.

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take here. Don't bother with an Xbox version if theres no crossplay between PC and Xbox at least.
There should be crossplay between PC, Xbox and PS
Im sick of crossplay becoming a standard feature in shooters and fighting games lagging behind.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this was my guess too and stcking with it.
The wild part is that a long time (a few years) ago I heard that Capcom was working on something exclusive for Sony but I didn't know what the fuck it was. At the time I thought it could be SF6 but I was like that makes no sense given where Capcom is at. Obviously things can change so don't hold me to that.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Having to put developer resources on last-gen consoles for another 5-6 years is surely a much bigger issue than having to source current gen consoles for CPT events early on.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
ReEngine runs well on last gen hardware, on this basis I'm guessing that it'll release on everything minus Switch and Stadia.

Would hate for Switch owners to miss out, I hope they are working on getting a version to work on that console.

The most I can see PlayStation getting in terms of exclusive content are titles, costumes, &/or colors.

I hope Capcom doesn't do this, it will sour people on other platforms for getting less "content" so I hope it just ends up being marketing.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I feel like if they are planning to support this game long-term and they also release on last gen, they done fucked up. It's time to cut the cord.

Foxisdabest

Banned
May 8, 2022
Current gen only, but I think it's kinda crazy if they make it non switch scalable.

The switch is so freaking popular in Japan and the PS5 just doesn't have the install base there.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be cross gen. Tournaments will be dead otherwise and Capcom doubled down on eSports.
Dead? The game isn't going to be out until Q1 2023 at the earliest. I'm fairly sure there will be more PS5s and Xbox Series consoles in homes by then than there were PS4s when SFV launched. Not to mention PC which has seen strong growth with fighting games recently.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Current gen only, but I think it's kinda crazy if they make it non switch scalable.

The switch is so freaking popular in Japan and the PS5 just doesn't have the install base there.
No fighting game developer (besides apparently Sega) cares about Japan when it comes to fighting games. They have pretty much all sold poorly there but done well elsewhere. The West is where the money is (which is why it was all the more frustrating that it took so many of them so long to embrace netcode that functions over long distances).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be cross gen. Tournaments will be dead otherwise and Capcom doubled down on eSports.

There were 36 million PS4s in the wild when SFV came out. There should be at least that many PS5s when SF6 comes out and like 25 million Xbox Series consoles. So like 60 million current gen boxes.

Regardless of platforms, the tournament scene will not be dead.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Fighting games have been on a decline in Japan, so I doubt Capcom cares all that much about skipping the Switch. If they did, they can just wait for the Switch 2 & port SF6 to that.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Similar to the newest KOF. All platforms most likely. If the game is funded by Capcom, they need as many people to buy as possible.

I mean it's RE engine, right? We know that can run on last gen consoles just fine. I think aesthetically they are not making large leaps anymore so easy choice for me.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Similar to the newest KOF. All platforms most likely. If the game is funded by Capcom, they need as many people to buy as possible.

I mean it's RE engine, right? We know that can run on last gen consoles just fine. I think aesthetically they are not making large leaps anymore so easy choice for me.
KoFXV skipped Xbox One & Switch, plus SNK only really bothered with PS4 for the sake of Japan & tournaments. Likewise, KoFXV was supposed to come out late last year (& unlike SF6, it didn't undergo a development reboot in its delay).

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
KoFXV skipped Xbox One & Switch, plus SNK only really bothered with PS4 for the sake of Japan & tournaments.

You're right. They did skip last gen xbox. Understanding that the fighting game zeitgeist is on Playstation now. I still see no reason why they wouldn't put it on all platforms now. SNK with KOF I can understand but SF is different. Even now.

Jun 1, 2022
Dead? The game isn't going to be out until Q1 2023 at the earliest. I'm fairly sure there will be more PS5s and Xbox Series consoles in homes by then than there were PS4s when SFV launched. Not to mention PC which has seen strong growth with fighting games recently.

There were 36 million PS4s in the wild when SFV came out. There should be at least that many PS5s when SF6 comes out and like 25 million Xbox Series consoles. So like 60 million current gen boxes.

Regardless of platforms, the tournament scene will not be dead.

There will be more consoles sold to consumers at homes but will there be enough surplus consoles for tournament organizers to get 100's for their events? The demand seems far more brutal than any generation before.

But I was exaggerating with how I said the tournament scene would be "dead". If there truly is a current gen only fgc title, I predict a much more strict entry cap at open bracket events to accommodate for the console shortage until the supply chain is fixed.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There will be more consoles sold to consumers at homes but will there be enough surplus consoles for tournament organizers to get 100's for their events? The demand seems far more brutal than any generation before.

But I was exaggerating with how I said the tournament scene would be "dead". If there truly is a current gen only fgc title, I predict a much more strict entry cap at open bracket events to accommodate for the console shortage until the supply chain is fixed.

I mean, most Street Fighter competition is still online at the moment, thanks to the pandemic, so we might be getting ahead of ourselves worrying about offline tournament console supplies.