• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which stylus are you using for Mario Maker 2?

• No stylus. I’m going raw finger or I’m just going to settle for docked controls.

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • Official Mario Maker 2 Stylus. Eat it, North America.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • Behold this most affordable capacitive stylus. (<$10)

Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Check out this slightly fancy capacitive stylus. ($10-$20)

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Finally, it’s time to tell you all about the greatness that is my elite capacitive stylus. (>$20)

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Getting the official one from Nintendo UK, but I'll probably make most of my levels docked if it's comfortable enough.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Which stylus' actually work and can be purchased off Amazon UK? I want to play Taiko handheld and use a stylus. Any recommendations?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
image-asset.jpeg

This beaut

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question from a dummy: why are there seemingly no fine-tip capacitive styluses? I know the material on the end can't just be plastic like on DS/3DS because of how the touch screen works, but I hate that all the ones I come across have big, mushy tips.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Honest question from a dummy: why are there seemingly no fine-tip capacitive styluses? I know the material on the end can't just be plastic like on DS/3DS because of how the touch screen works, but I hate that all the ones I come across have big, mushy tips.
disc styluses like MEKO are great for precision... although I dont know how useful it is for "tap" controls like mario maker, they're great for drawing.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never liked the feel of a capacitive stylus so I'll just use my finger or play it while docked. I'd still probably pick up the MM2 stylus if it was available in the US though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God invented the index finger for capacitive screens. Unfortunately I don't have a cat paw to work with, but the index finger will do

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's how I played it back on the 3DS and it was super fun and a lot easier (for me) than using the drums. Same goes for the Switch version, the official drum set is kinda naff. Thanks for the heads up though.
I just meant more because some of the faster songs really need both sides of the drum. A thumb on each side of the touch screen works pretty well :D
I didn't play it on 3DS though, so i assume if you're used to that it'll be fine!

Oct 25, 2017
disc styluses like MEKO are great for precision... although I dont know how useful it is for "tap" controls like mario maker, they're great for drawing.
Speaking of these, this is exactly what I was thinking of. Are there any specific Switch branded ones? Or ones that can clip onto a headphone jack for carry?

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Finger Bois unite!!!

In all honesty I'll probably make 1 level and that's it. I'm not great at level creation. I love one room puzzles but don't fully understand how they make them. Especially ones that use POW weighting

Dug around my desk and found a full sized stylus.

gg7pBEJ.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of ordering a higher-quality stylus than the cheap one with a felt nib that I already have sitting around, which is in fine condition, but after doing some preliminary tests with my cheap one on the Switch, I think it will probably be fine for my purposes.

The thing about Mario Maker is that you're not really doing any precise drawing, and only dragging occasionally to move objects; your main input is tapping, and on a fairly generous grid at that. Taps, not strokes. So the biggest problems with felt nibs in a writing/drawing context (that they drag poorly, obstruct your vision of precisely where you are making contact with the screen, and potentially tear) shouldn't matter, I think, and I don't see the need for anything like a pinpoint-precision disc tip. I've played a lot of SMM1 this year and I know how like to hold and use the resistive stylus there, and from my tests, a low-end capacitive stylus will do what I need it to without experiencing much wear or putting my screen at risk.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I want a fine point stylus but I don't know what's compatible: there's a few options on Amazon but only 1-2 say they're Switch compatible. I don't know if fine point capacitives legitimately have compatibility issues or if it's marketing bait. I'm disappointed by this thread a bit because I was hoping some accessory guru would already have a perfect fit.

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use my wii u stylus?

Don't believe so - it needs to be capacitive (in other words, a stylus that works with the Switch home screen right now if you try it). Capacitive styli have thicker tips as they need to work like a finger to register touches on the Switch's screen.

If you're not sure, it doesn't hurt to try it out as long as you already have a Switch.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't believe so - it needs to be capacitive (in other words, a stylus that works with the Switch home screen right now if you try it). Capacitive styli have thicker tips as they need to work like a finger to register touches on the Switch's screen.

If you're not sure, it doesn't hurt to try it out as long as you already have a Switch.
Thank you much

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'll sell someone my MM2 branded stylus...

FOR TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

OK, maybe not. Can't wait for this, completely missed the original due to not owning a Wii U, but loved all the content around it!

Good Video
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use my wii u stylus?

I see this has already been answered, but I'll put it plainly for anybody else with this question:

The Wii U, DS, and 3DS have resistive screens, designed for precision stylus input. The Switch, smartphones, and modern tablets have capacitive screens, designed for fingers and styli that pretend to be fingers. A Wii U or DS/3DS stylus will not work.

I want a fine point stylus but I don't know what's compatible. I'm disappointed by this thread a bit because I was hoping some accessory guru would already have a perfect fit.

Any capacitive stylus that works on a multitouch phone or tablet will do. Unlike the DS/3DS and Wii U, these screens were all designed primarily to be used with the fingers, and they respond to styli that emulate the conductivity of a press of the finger.

This video has been making the rounds on other Switch boards, and it swears by this 2-in-1 stylus with a mesh tip on one end and a disc tip on the other. Affordable, too, unless you're the kind of person who easily loses pens. Again, my own opinion is that you probably don't need anything that nice for Mario Maker because you'll mostly be tapping (with the occasional drag and drop), not freehand drawing, but I know that some people will want a good drawing stylus for the Miiverse-like comment art or the SSBU Stage Builder.

The people I know who do a lot of freehand note-taking or sketching on tablet devices swear by transparent disc tips. They are definitely not for everyone, though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see this has already been answered, but I'll put it plainly for anybody else with this question:

The Wii U, DS, and 3DS have resistive screens, designed for precision stylus input. The Switch, smartphones, and modern tablets have capacitive screens, designed for fingers and styli that pretend to be fingers. A Wii U or DS/3DS stylus will not work.

Any capacitive stylus that works on a multitouch phone or tablet will do. Unlike the DS/3DS and Wii U, these screens were all designed primarily to be used with the fingers, and they respond to styli that emulate the conductivity of a press of the finger.

This video has been making the rounds on other Switch boards, and it swears by this 2-in-1 stylus with a mesh tip on one end and a disc tip on the other. Affordable, too, unless you're the kind of person who easily loses pens. Again, my own opinion is that you probably don't need anything that nice for Mario Maker because you'll mostly be tapping (with the occasional drag and drop), not freehand drawing, but I know that some people will want a good drawing stylus for the Miiverse-like comment art or the SSBU Stage Builder.

The people I know who do a lot of freehand note-taking or sketching on tablet devices swear by transparent disc tips. They are definitely not for everyone, though.

Cool, thank you for the info.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Have Nintendo given a statement on why they hate NA and don't want us to have the cool Mario Maker stylus?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, this is the one I bit on, because of this video. It's interesting that the plastic disc is a required part of the stylus tip, but I'm hoping it works well.

I also ordered this screen protector, and both got to me 1-Day from Amazon Prime, which was a nice bonus. Orzly is the same brand that made my Razer Phone screen protector, and that feels fantastic. The comments do say to not use the "Dust Removal" stickers included during the application process, but they also include a micro-fiber cloth that'll do the trick just fine. I'll be applying mine later today, hopefully it goes well.