• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When you think of the south, what state pops into your head first?

• Virginia

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Georgia

Votes: 65 9.8%
  • Florida

Votes: 30 4.5%
  • Mississippi

Votes: 146 22.1%
  • Alabama

Votes: 342 51.7%
  • Texas

Votes: 59 8.9%
  • other

Votes: 16 2.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
PA, that voted for Trump in 2016, has a Republican senator, and was much closer to voting for Trump in 2020 than Virginia was?

What makes Pennsylvania more liberal than Virginia?

PA has a Dem governor and in the past 20 years only elected 1 republican as governor. Where's VA currently has a Republican governor and had elected 2 in the past 20 years. Like it's definitely becoming more red, and if VA never elected Youngkin, I would totally give that to you, but that election completely shattered my perception of the state.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Florida, for all the shit it's known for, is not really southern in the traditional sense. If anything the southern culture bled into the northern half. South Florida is insanely different.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not from the US but whenever I see footage from alabama that passes a sign of some kind it's almost always riddled with bullet holes so I'm gonna say that one

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
It's Alabama/Mississippi. I've lived in the south most of my life, unfortunately, and those two states are the south more so than any others. I have a ton of thoughts about both but I don't want to offend anyone from there on this forum.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
They are different states? 😬

They used to be one state, but WV broke off in 1863 during the Civil War.

1280px-West_Virginia_in_United_States.svg.png

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
PA has a Dem governor and in the past 20 years only elected 1 republican as governor. Where's VA currently has a Republican governor and had elected 2 in the past 20 years. Like it's definitely becoming more red, and if VA never elected Youngkin, I would totally give that to you, but that election completely shattered my perception of the state.
PA has had two Republican governors in the last 20 years. In the past 20 years, they have both had Republican governors for 8 of them. VA (along with NJ) has their governor elections off-cycle with the rest of the states, so the elections won't match up exactly.

Republicans have also controlled both chambers of the PA legislature for the last 12 years. Like I said before, Dems had complete control of the VA legislature for several of those years, and still control the Assembly.

A Republican also hasn't represented VA in the US Senate since 2007, and PA has one.

VA has also had a number of more liberal state laws than VA, such as related to abortion, gun control, voting, and recreational weed.

I just don't see how PA is more liberal than VA, even with the thrashing VA Dems took in 2021.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Florida, for all the shit it's known for, is not really southern in the traditional sense. If anything the southern culture bled into the northern half. South Florida is insanely different.
Why does south Florida not count? The South is a conglomerate of cultures. People are making so many exceptions to what is and isn't the south. If the South to a lot of people is only incest and low IQs then sure only Mississippi and Alabama are the south. But in the real world the South is a combination of all southern states cultures you don't get to pick and choose.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
...the really sad thing about this thread is that if you wanted discuss more positive associations with Southern states, there's so much you could highlight.

Like cooking, for example.

Not only could I tell if you were Black or not, but I could tell what region of the South you were from with decent accuracy, purely from the plate of food you made me.

But I suppose we see the word "South" and immediately think incest and conservatives.

EDIT: for my answer to the question...the Southern state that my family hails from isn't even on the dang list (while Texas is?). Louisiana.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I had a friend from Tennessee, who I learned most of what I know about the South from. Apparently, it's not considered "Deep South," though.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived in Alabama my whole life so yeah.

As for what state best embodies all the negative stereotypes... Mississippi is totally worse than us you guys I swear

Right

Nov 24, 2017
As a non-american, I always thought Louisiana is the epitome of US south
Very surprised to see that it's not even one of the options.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's also an unfair aspect of which state typifies "Southern Culture" the most because like ... it seems to be exclusively "Southern Culture" from a non-Southern perspective, which is often just "Southern White Culture." When we answer these questions and make assumptions about the South, white people often just erase black people from the idea of it... and yet the states that white non-southerners usually group as "The most southern states," and all of the cultural/historical baggage that entails, are also usually the blackest states in the country.

It's one of the reasons I hate the recurring "Should the Northeast secede from the US/South?" polls that pop up frequently. It's like, "aah, yes, let's just leave the 30% of Alabamans who are non white to the new confederacy." In the last "should Democratic states secede" thread, someone unironically made the argument that non-white people, minorities, women under threat, etc, can eventually "just leave" and move to a liberal northern state eventually. WHich is so fucking ignorant of history, and you saw identical arguments/comments made during Reconstruction, "Why don't the blacks just leave?" Well, like... for one... they're "free" but the penal system is forcing them into working the fields that their "former" masters now say they owe them rent on for living "for free" for a century+. And then that forced migration also reinforces poverty, it's hard to be an outsider in a new place, even if the new place is arguably more progressive than the old place, you're sitll an outsider starting with nothing, and even people who are sympathetic to your experience in the old place are cautious of what your arrival might mean for their place. This isn't ancient "black migration" history either, this same phenomenon plays out today with immigration or even domestic economic flight. Look at any thread here that explores people moving from California to anywhere else in the country, and there is a strong false stereotype that goes along with it, followed up by hostility that would sound as familiar in the Republican Rotary Club of Appling Georgia in their monthly meeting about securing the border.

That's not my problem. this thread was never intended to be looked at through the political sense (Notice I never mentioned politics or republicans in my OP). He was the one that veered it in that direction. All i'm arguing is that cultural it's a southern state. Full stop.

That's a little dishonest because you also said:

"Virginia just elected Youngkin. It's the south too."

WHich you're clearly saying there, "Virginia just elected [a Republican], it's the south too." Because, culturally, Youngkin is not a "Southern Good ol' boy ridin down to the sack o suds," or like (the myth of) "the southern gentleman." He's culturally more similar to someone like Larry Hogan (R), Steve Sisolak (D), or Charlie Baker (R), these sort of Chamber of Commerce, businessman types, he worked at a private equity fund for his whole career doing ... asset trading in Washington DC. Not exactly a cultural South'ner.

I agree that Virginia is a Southern state, though, of course it is. Culturally it's very different from Mississippi, Alabama, and the other states dominating voting here. I don't think that it epitomizes Southern culture anymore, although 175 years ago it arguably did, the quintessential Southern state... the home of Thomas Jefferson and Robert E. Lee. If Robert E. Lee was the quintessnetial "Southern Gentleman" (historical revisionism, of course), then Virginia was the quintessential Southern state. Today, though, 150 years after his death, Virginia is not really close. I agree with you that it's part of the South and deserves to be on the list, though of the 311 votes in this poll, I'm with the 99.7% of voters that it is *not* quintessentially Southern anymore.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
As a Houstonian, I'd still say Texas is it's own thing just due to sheer size. Parts of east Texas are absolutely part of the South, but I wouldn't say the valley, panhandle, or really anything west of Austin and San Antonio really fit the bill (and I don't think I'd really say Dallas does either, that's always felt closer to Oklahoma/the Midwest to me than the South). Texas is what bridges the south and the southwest.

Yup, all of that. The pine curtain is 100% the south, but that's just a small sliver of the state and none of the major metros are part of it. The Texas Triangle is where the south meets the west, and it's distinct for that reason, so it's tough to categorize the entire state except as its own category.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
When I hear "southern US" the first place that will always pop into my head is South Carolina, since that's where my family moved to after having my having been born and growing up in states like New Jersey and New York. Some major culture shock, as a kid, not gonna lie.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to steer this away from some of the more political aspects, I thought that northern Alabama really was quite beautiful, green rolling hills with lots of wildlife. That's about it, really, because even though Mississippi is far more burdened by its past, Alabama is way more unapologetic about it. And far more unequal. Check out Evergreen, AL for some Fallout vibes. The Dollar General's doing great though.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I think of the South as a cultural legacy before I think of a state. To me:
The old South is repped by South Carolina
The caricature of the South is Alabama
The modern face of the South is Texas

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
800px-Census_Regions_and_Division_of_the_United_States.svg.png

For anyone wondering what states are south. This is from the official U.S. Census.

Washington D.C
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Texas
Arkansas
Oklahoma

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Missouri was one of the most depressing places I've been. Then again I didn't spend much time in Louisiana.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I still don't get how WV is "the south" when part of it is level with Iowa.
In the 1760s cartographers solved a boundary dispute between several states by drawing a line that served as the official border between Maryland and Pennsylvanian. That lline is called the Mason-Dixon Line, and historically north of that line is "the North" and south of that line is "the south."

At that time British territory in what would become the US didn't go past the Mississippi River. As the US expanded what was considered "the South" were basically slave states that were south of that Mason-Dixon line.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
In the 1760s cartographers solved a boundary dispute between several states by drawing a line that served as the official border between Maryland and Pennsylvanian. That lline is called the Mason-Dixon Line, and historically north of that line is "the North" and south of that line is "the south."

At that time British territory in what would become the US didn't go past the Mississippi River. As the US expanded what was considered "the South" were basically slave states that were south of that Mason-Dixon line.
Learning every day!

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
I'd think of Alabama/Mississippi with moonshiners, cousin fuckers, and racist hobos.

But I feel Georgia also gives off that bourgeoisie "enlightened" bastion of racist civilization vibe.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, all of that. The pine curtain is 100% the south, but that's just a small sliver of the state and none of the major metros are part of it. The Texas Triangle is where the south meets the west, and it's distinct for that reason, so it's tough to categorize the entire state except as its own category.

East Texas is remarkable, especially heading out of the weird pagan wilderness of south Arkansas. It reminds me a lot of the south-east of Pennsylvania, what with every small farm having a pond. It's definitely a transition into another region, the only thing that places like Denton have in common with places like Tennessee is that they're stereotypical smallish towns surrounded by the suburban agglomeration of the "new" South.

Last edited:

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Why does south Florida not count? The South is a conglomerate of cultures. People are making so many exceptions to what is and isn't the south. If the South to a lot of people is only incest and low IQs then sure only Mississippi and Alabama are the south. But in the real world the South is a combination of all southern states cultures you don't get to pick and choose.

It's full of Northern transplants (almost everyone I met down there was from New York or connected to it in some fashion) and tons of people from all over the Caribbean. Culturally it is very different from what is traditionally considered southern, and many people living there don't identify with that southern label.

Meanwhile anything north of Orlando is basically southern Georgia.

Also for the people dissing Mississippi, the coastal area is actually pretty nice.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Missippi of course.

Edit: and to everyone hating on Mississippi -- I'll forever love Jackson, the Mississippi sky is gorgeous, nature abounds, and the coast has some decent areas.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017