• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Probably GTA IV. The original GTA trilogy, MGS 1-3, and NES era SMB games have to be up there though.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it would be Bruce Lee on C64. It's short, replayable, and I have had it for decades.
Brucelee_screenshot1.gif

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Probably a toss-up between Fire Emblem (GBA) or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I think I've played through them about 20 times each.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the original Donkey Kong on NES or Super Mario Bros just because both can be done within minutes and I grew up with them.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Probably the game boy super mario land that time. Civ today as i only play single player and the ki is good enough for my low skills.

Jan 29, 2018
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 4 are all definitely over 10 times. Probably Super Mario 64, too.

Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Uncharted 1-3, are probably in the 3-5 times range.

Then there's a bunch of Nintendo games where I've probably beaten them once or twice but played the first half countless times.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Ninja Gaiden NES for short games
Resident Evil 2 PS1 for a bit longer games
Probably FF6 SNES for long games

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. Only like 10 hours so I definitely blew through it a few times in one day.

(maybe the Halo CE campaign too)

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I don't know the exact number of times but it would be a close race between all of the following:
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
I've beaten each of those games a lot. I'm sure I've beaten at least one of them over a dozen times (likely either Order of Ecclesia or Aria of Sorrow since CV games are pretty short).

I will give a special mention to Tales of Symphonia, which is a game I've beaten 3 times, but spent ~80 hours in each playthrough. I have never completed more than one playthrough of any RPG except for Symphonia, so I felt I had to mention it.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
The Last of Us for sure, although Part II might take the crown, and from the looks of things, I think it will.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Fable the Lost Chapters and All of Splinter Cell(yes, the whole series), played each at least 8 times through.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
I don't replay single player games too often but over the years, I have played through Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past probably 10+ times. That game never gets old.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does 'beating' Tetris count?

If not, then Chrono Trigger. Doing a playthrough right now, actually.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
probably Streets of Rage 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Half-Life 1/2 or Resident Evil 4

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Portal. It's short enough to finish in an evening so that helps, probably played it through a dozen or so times.

For longer games, maybe Mass Effect? I'd estimate five times for that. Or Max Payne, I played that game a lot.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Looking at games you actually can beat, definitely the MGS series. I used to complete 1,2 and 3 every year.

/edit
I forgot that I used to speedrun Super Mario Land... So probably that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Maybe Mass Effect 1? Possibly MGS 1-4 - probably played those all 3 times each or so. Possibly Skyrim - mods can make me play it again when I check what new stuff there is. Persona 4 (including Golden) would be 4 I think? Don't think I've played a game more than 4 times. As I say maybe ME1. Or if you count Civ 6 - so many games. Or runs in Binding of Isaac Afterbirth. Both of those are over 1000 hours but I feel they don't fit the topic.

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2. Lost count how many time i've beaten it.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
It's a toss up between a lot of different games.

I was obsessed with Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a kid, and played it so much while hunting for secrets that I became burnt out on it. Just in that first two-week winter break in 1994/1995, I think I beat the game 11 or 12 times? And I've replayed it every year or two since release, so we're talking, like, 30+ times I've beaten the game, start to finish.

Speaking of games I've played yearly, that's Donkey Kong Country 1 for me. I personally think DKC2 is still a better game, but it's also a lot longer and more complicated. I can finish DKC1 in just under two hours, and I usually get the urge to do so around Christmas (when I originally got the game, so it's a nostalgia thing). If you figure I've beaten this game every Christmas since 1995, that's a good 20+ times.

When I got my Saturn, NiGHTS: Into Dreams was short enough that I'd come home from school and beat the entire game in a single sitting, every day. If you play it right, you can finish NiGHTS with all A-ranks in under an hour. I don't know how many that actually adds up to, but it probably comes out to 30-40 times when you add in other times I've finished the game since then.

The same goes for Parappa the Rapper. By its very nature, that's a game that's about 45 minutes long, and when I moved off of NiGHTS, I'd instead come home from school and play all the way through Parappa, every single day. So, again, we're talking 30-40 times.

But the king is probably Sonic Adventure. When I first got that game for Dreamcast, all I had was a third-party memory card, and something about it caused Sonic Adventure to corrupt its save data pretty often. It seemed like every other time I'd boot the game up, my save file would be missing (and since it only effected Sonic Adventure, I never narrowed it down to being a problem with the VMU). What this meant was that any time I'd get the urge to replay Sonic Adventure (and you should know by now that I replay my games a lot), I'd have to start over from the beginning of the game.

This meant I probably had to restart Sonic Adventure around 10-20 times per year. And even after buying it on a platform that doesn't corrupt my save data every three days, I've replayed the game probably close to a dozen times or more since then. So I've probably finished Sonic Adventure somewhere in the realm of 65-100 times in my life.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Besides the super quick Mario games, I would say Zelda 1 and especially Ocarina of Time.

As a bit of an aside, I'm kinda bummed that there aren't ways to quickly beat many modern games (e.g. through warps or through knowledge obtained in an initial playthrough). But one of the things I love about both Mario Odyssey and BotW is that you can actually beat both of them super quickly if you so choose because they give you the opportunity to pick up quick moons or great weapons. I actually beat Odyssey a couple more times after my initial playthrough.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time or maybe Halo: CE. I played OoT incessantly as a kid, and beat it at least a dozen times. For Halo, my friend and I would just replay the campaign over and over again whenever we got together.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I play through the first Mirror's Edge most years and have probably beaten it 5 or so times. I just finished a playthrough the other day actually.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Maybe Chrono Trigger, if you count each of the different endings I guess?

Otherwise it's probably Castlevania Symphony of the Night, or possibly Link's Awakening.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Castlevania Symphony of the Night, probably around 20-30x. PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Emulator on PC, raspberry pi, android phone. Only version I haven't played is the recent Castlevania Collection.