• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's some where I enjoy their public-facing persona regardless of what I think of their games, but when it comes to just plain trusting that every game they put out will appeal to me, there's presently none.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I trust Miyazaki's titles to have a certain level of quality, at least in terms of design (they fall behind in terms of technical prowess).

While I don't expect every Nintendo title to be a banger I find that most of their studios have a reliable level of quality. I kind of have a "I know what to expect" when it comes to them.

For most other developers I take a wait-and-see approach but my trust only extends as far as the quality of their last title.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Hidetaka Miyazaki and Neil Druckmann. They directed six of my all-time favourite games so it's a pretty easy choice. For me, the most influential creators in the past decade. With fewer games under their belts, the people at Moon Studio and Eric Barone. Back in the days, Todd Howard and BGS were part of the list but F4 and F76 made a dent...

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Miyazaki I've liked everything he's worked on. Safe to assume that I'll like everything Fromsoft makes. Whatever they make will be high quality and have an interesting world .

Itsuno, don't love all of the games he works on but they're all good.

Kojima was one too but Death Stranding gameplay was kinda meh by the midpoint. I feel like his games are gonna become hit or miss for me now (I'm sure they'll all have interesting concepts tho, even that is an accomplishment these days).

Josef Fares , only played a Way Out but it sounds like his other games are just as good.

I'd like to say Todd Howard but fallout 4 was the biggest miss in the universe for me. I can excuse Fallout 76 because that's not their normal type of game and that engine is already wonky enough. But I hope Starfield will bring it back.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Itagaki and Suzuki are the big ones for me. Even if I can recognize that a lot of Devil's Third issues come from publisher shuffling and other unfortunate circumstances I do think a lot of the core issues are his choices to some degree, so he has a lot to prove with whatever his next game turns out to be. Suzuki's view on games is infinitely interesting to me and even if they do not really jive with me I think the level of detail and focus put into them is always fascinating. I loved Shenmue III despite some serious issues so I am excited to see where the series goes and I would love to see him make some new IPs again too.

I suppose another one is Nagoshi. I am super excited to see how RGG grows without him and not worried about their future, but I am sure whatever he makes will be something I am very interested in. I assume NetEase are going to throw stupid amounts of cash at him to make a dream project.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
To me, it's whatever. Most of the time I don't even know who these developers are.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Would play anything these guys make.

Hidetaka Miyazaki
Masahiro Sakurai
Hideki Konno
Corey Barlog

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There's a few like Druckmann and Toby Fox who's name will always get my attention.

Yoshi-P is the real GOAT though. He has a crazy passion and closeness to fans(as well as just being awesome at what he does) that I really respect and makes me want to follow.

Oct 27, 2017
Kaz Yamauchi/Polyphony Digital

I think many would probably associate them with weird decisions and delayed games, but Gran Turismo is the last true system seller to me, and it's the oldest active series that I still play and enjoy. I just find GT games are always worth whatever wait we have to put up with, and are always high quality - even when they diverge and do things a bit differently like with GT Sport.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
I will play any new Tim Schafer game for the rest of my days.

Basically this, even the more divisive Double Fine games show the kind of creativity that's really lacking in the industry still.
Psychonauts 2 was also quite easily my GotY last year.. Not to mention all those wonderful Lucasarts classics.

Also not exactly a single creator but I have to give a shout-out to Housemarque. Housemarque stuff is always quality through and through.

Not so well known in mainstream gaming especially these days but Bob Bates is definitely up there for me, his work for Infocom, Legend and the more recent things like Thaumistry is just gold for a crusty old text adventure fan such as myself.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wolf Team
Wolfteam.png

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yoshi-P/Creative Business Unit 3

No one is perfect so I don't necessarily agree with the term "pedestal", but the communication and transparency from that team is incredible and I have a vast amount of respect for them.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I will buy anythong from from software/miyazaki. I dont need to know what the game is called. I dont need to know what it is about, i'll buy it day one.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Edmund McMillen

I'll play any game he makes or back anything he does. I love his games

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Not a single individual but a small team being the M2 Shottriggers team. They do ports right. They're brining us games lost/forgotten to time in the arcades.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
But Death Stranding was great...?

I suppose Kojima, Miyazaki, and Dan Houser would be my choices. Usually any time they're involved in making a game it's something I love.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki, Matsuno, and Ueda. Druckman has also proven himself to be extremely competent. You can also trust a Schafer game to be genuinely funny.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Boring answer but no game creator has my loyalty. I can't name a single dev house that hasn't put out at least one games that's disappointed me in some way.

Thus, I judge all game releases in a vacuum and nothing is guaranteed a purchase.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Everyone's suggesting super talented, creative millionaires.

None of them are single.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever does the 3D Marios for the last 15 years. There's never been a bad one. Everything is an A plus.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough one. I buy most mainline ff but I skip a lot of SE's other output. I think realistically it's probably rockstar. Luckily I didn't buy their recent blundered re-release but I'm basically certain to buy all their new games without a shadow of a doubt. I guess by extension it would be one of the housers

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Lucas Pope is a fantastic developer that has made some incredibly creative games. Really fascinating fellow that I'm always eager to see more from. I think the reason I tend to gravitate towards him is due to the fact that he tries to be a one-man team. Programing, design, art, along with the music and sound design are all usually done by him. So, for better or worse you are seeing one individual's singular vision. The singular visions are usually rather fascinating as well. Papers Please and Return of the Obra Dinn are some of the most memorable games I've ever played.

Drea

Banned
Jul 30, 2021
Anything from Nintendo tbh. I never have to worry about jank or shit controls for the most part.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Toby Fox and Yoshi-P and the FFXIV dev team. Recently, the staff at KaizenGameworks, I'm rooting for them and was happy to see how proactive they were about accessibility features.

I haven't loved every Suda51 game but I'm rooting for him.

I'm also rooting for any dev that proactively makes a real effort towards functional, thoughtful accessibility features, not merely being able to say an attempt was made.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Don't know if he can be counted since he has been involved in only one game so far, but Robert Kurvitz. I was convinced Disco Elysium would be something special, when it was still called No Truce With the Furies. And it ended up to be among the best games of all time. So now my trust is even higher, when I've actually witnessed what he and the team are capable of.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's someone a little different from the rest of the posts in here: Marcus Smith from Insomniac was the lead Director on Resistance 3, Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.