• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dishonored 2 or Prey?

• Dishonored 2

Votes: 265 46.3%
  • Prey

Votes: 307 53.7%

• Total voters

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finally ready to move on to committing to my next single-player gaming experience. I've just finished Days Gone (really enjoyed it), and I recently picked up a PSVR headset and play games like Astro Bot and Tetris Effect for shorter play sessions.

But now I want something meaty. And I've got two Arkane Studio games in my backlog that I'm sure deserve my attention.

Dishonored 2. I fucking LOVED the first game. But it was also a long ass time ago that I played it. I don't know why I put off playing the sequel for so long, but I'll occasionally walk into a thread where discussion is being had and the viewpoints are decidedly mixed.

Prey. I tried the demo but didn't give it a fair shake. I dropped it pretty quick (I usually don't invest much in demos because, well, they're demos). I hear the gameplay is extremely nuanced and full of emergent ideas and incredibly creative tricks. I do love nuanced gameplay a great deal.

So, which do I play (first)? Which is more worthy of my immediate attention? Vote now! I love democracy.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the wrong question.

The question is: Which do you play first?

EDIT: ...and then I read the OP :D

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
This is a hard choice, both are great Immersive Sims (or partial Immersive Sims depending on who you ask). One one hand Prey needs more love as it was overlooked by so many people but from reading your OP and my own personal tastes I would say start with D2 and then if you're still up for an immersive sim after that then pick up Prey. Either way, though you can't go wrong.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I can't really speak on Dishonored 2 as I just kind of picked it up, heard the dialogue, and put it back down. Prey, however, is absolutely amazing for sure. One of my favorite games of the generation hands down! It's a kickass space station simulator with a delicious sci-fi horror flavor

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Prey demo but I loved the full game.
Dishonored 2 was more engaging to me in the end, I found Prey too isolating most of the time.

Try Death of the outsider too.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Play both eventually, but 1st play Prey. I had more fun with prey than dishonored 2. Not saying 2 was bad cause it was awesome. I loved thw horror elements on Prey, and the powers you can play with. S

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Play both but Prey is better. You get a lot more out of exploring in that game than you do in Dishonored 2.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both are excellent. Dishonored 2's a safer bet if you enjoyed the first but Prey does get better than the beginning. Have you played older games in the genre like the System Shock games and the original Deus Ex? Prey is very System Shock 2-like. I voted Prey.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought both and played Prey first. Prey to me is more akin to Bioshock, while Dishonored 2 is more so akin to Deus Ex. Both are worthwhile games and deserve your time. I'm sorry, I can't conclusively say which is better.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Prey demo but I loved the full game.
Dishonored 2 was more engaging to me in the end, I found Prey too isolating most of the time.

Try Death of the outsider too.

Yeah see I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't find the Prey demo to be all that convincing. I really left it feeling very "meh". I didn't want to believe that was a good representation of the complete product.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I fell head over heals in love with Prey! Dishonored, though... It's a game that I love on paper. I own them and have messed around with them. There's just something, I can't say what, that has made me bounce off of them so far.

I'll watch this thread and hopefully be enlightened. But Prey? Like Bioshock should have been. Love it. Highly recommend it it if you have a love for immersive sims.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Prey is the best work from Arkane imo. Masterful game, so easy to get sucked in. I bought it on sale expecting just Space BioShock as the marketing showed (which would have been fine) but it was so much more, and in three days, 30 hours of my life disappeared.

OP
OP
SolidChamp

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit this is really tough, isn't it?

How much of a "horror show" is Prey? Someone used the phrase "sci-fi horror" to place it in a genre. Is it a deeply scary/unnerving game?

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
I found Prey to be the better game personally, its the best immersive sim in ages and probably the last we'll get for a while.

The Mooncrash DLC is excellent as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 feels super janky to play unfortunately, especially on PC. On the merits of game feel, performance etc I would have to say Prey is a more enjoyable game. Dishonored 2 is definitely much more grandiose and deep, however.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I slightly prefer D2 to Prey but you should absolutely play both. I'd say go with D2 if you want more of a gameplay heavy actiony game or Prey if you want a more moody, atmospheric and slower game.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I haven't played Disnhonored 2, but I can highly recommend Prey. The sheer amount of freedom and gameplay oportunities the game provides are simply amaizing. I really enjoyed the game and saying it's a reimagining of Bioshock is very unfair in my opinion.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
As a counter opinion to everyone here, I loved the first Dishonored but was bored bythe second. It seemed to handle everything from the first game worse without any subtlety and the story in particular can only generously be described as dreadful. Also they ruined the one thing I liked the msot about Dishonored 1
that being that Corvo was hinted at being Emily's father but never stated. It was an amazing bit of worldbuilding and showed just what sort of society Dunwall was. Here they just outright have her call him dad from the start.

Prey, I keep meaning to but haven't gone back to, but it was immediately enjoyable and interesting from the start

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 is better, though both are good. Prey has some significant flaws though, especially early on and late game.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Both are absolutely incredible and GOTY of their respective years. I would play Dishonored 2 (and the expansion) to finish off that story arc. Play Prey asap after because it's truly an incredible game.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017

How much of a "horror show" is Prey? Someone used the phrase "sci-fi horror" to place it in a genre. Is it a deeply scary/unnerving game?
Prey can be very moody in the first half when you're vulnerable and you don't know the enemies very well.
I'd place it a bit below Alien isolation in term of horror.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I liked both, but Prey has the far better plot. The way it explores memory and who we are in relation to our experiences is great. I also liked the gameplay in Prey better. It felt far more open in its possibilities.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a counter opinion to everyone here, I loved the first Dishonored but was bored bythe second. It seemed to handle everything from the first game worse without any subtlety and the story in particular can only generously be described as dreadful. Also they ruined the one thing I liked the msot about Dishonored 1
that being that Corvo was hinted at being Emily's father but never stated. It was an amazing bit of worldbuilding and showed just what sort of society Dunwall was. Here they just outright have her call him dad from the start.
The gameplay is balanced better in Dishonored 2. In the first game, it's so easy to abuse the "teleport and and insta-kill".

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Dishonored 2's story is really bad but the gameplay is better than Dishonored 1 in pretty much every way. So yeah I pick that game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored 2 was a disappointment for me, compared to the original game - though technical issues (performance) certainly played a role in that.
Prey is in my top 5 games this generation.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia

It's very tense as it wants to make you feel like you're really fighting to survive on a derelict station, but don't let it deter you it's not like a bunch of jump scares or anything. The main reason I said that as a classifier is because of the setting anf the fact that your main enemy type are mimics so you'll be on edge trying to figure out if you really did see that coffee cup move or not

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Both solid choices. Prey edges Dishonored out by a little but for me, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017

Well, it's got a slight survival horror kind of feel for the first bit while you still feel underpowered. A lot of people don't like the alien designs, and I can't say they're wrong even if the typhons didn't really bother me. It starts scary and stressful, yes. but as far as it being "deeply scary and unnerving?" Not especially. You'll get your shit kicked in for a while, but you will eventually learn to deal with / overcome the aliens. But just because maybe the aliens don't lend themselves very well to an outright horror aesthetic? Valid criticism? sure. Still a super awesome game. And for what it's worth, it has a harcore mode where you have to repair your weapons and have certain items to heal certain afflictions and I'm sure that would keep the early game stress going for longer. I haven't played that though, as it was a post release addition.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Goes without saying but Prey is a much fresher experience but if you're looking for more of the same of that Dishonored goodness then go for Dishonored 2. Prey was a game of the year for me where as D2 was a pretty fun enough game.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely dishonoured. Prey has a great world and a bioshock vibe so I would definitely say play it but it's gunplay is medicore at best and it's mechanically pretty clunky. D2 is definitely the better game.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 has some of the most creative and interesting level design I've seen. Not all of it - but certain sections. And it's got some nuanced and fascinating villains. I loved it. My vote's there for sure.

edit: nuanced villains for a game, anyway

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Both are incredible games, and are currently among my top 5 for the generation. Arkane is a top-tier studio.

Dishonored 2 I really can't find any major weaknesses other than performance hiccups on PC. Stellar level design, gameplay, and art direction. Story is a little weak, and I'd have liked to see more branching in the narrative (it's there, though). You really can't go wrong with this game unless you dislike first person games. You have two playable characters with different sets of abilities, and you can also choose to play without abilities. I haven't been brave enough to try that yet. Black and white mode is pretty cool.

Prey has one major flaw, and that is combat encounters. First off, I hate that mimics get warning indicators, it completely ruins the sense of surprise. Second, the enemy variety gets grating by the end of the game. They probably could have cut down on the encounters by half, and it would have improved the game. That being said, the writing is very good. The story is a lot more emergent than it appears to be. It has the best level design of the generation, and Talos 1 is likely most well-realized world ever created in gaming. Character builds dramatically change how the game is played. Several subtle yet powerful impact moments throughout the game. I like the art direction. I didn't find the shooting to be bad, but some have. The game can be unforgiving, but that's a good thing. You're always given a way around the problem; I think too many people approached it from a narrow-minded perspective.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm gonna say Dishonored 2, which is more of the same, and yet an improvement of the first game. A classic stealth adventure with some incredible level design.

Prey is good, very nice sci-fi/horror hijinks, but the story fell flat for me by the end. I felt deflated and irritated by the fact that my prediction of where the story was going to go ended up more interesting than what we got. Also, the sound in this game was garbage as usual for a Bethesda-published game, what the hell is it with Bethesda games and shitty sound?