• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

"4K / 2160p Checkerboard Rendering" can be shortened to:

• 2160i - Call it what it is: interlaced. Consistent with 720i/1080i

Votes: 202 20.6%
  • 2160c - c for checkerboard

Votes: 387 39.5%
  • 2x1080p - Call it what it is: 2 x 1080p

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • 2160p - Fuck it, 4K is 2160p to me, damnit!

Votes: 64 6.5%
  • f4Ke - By popular demand.

Votes: 317 32.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
CIVIL, SCIENTIFIC AND PRESERVATION DISCUSSION ONLY (with light comedy). No console war BS.

Few suggestions:

• 2160i (aka 4Ki) - i for "interlaced-like". Consistent with 720i/1080i
  • 2160c (aka 4Kc) - c for checkerboard rendering. (Bonus: 2160d/4Kd for dynamic rendering).
  • 2x1080p - Call it what it is: 2 x 1080p
  • 2160p (aka 4K) - Fuck it, 4K is 2160p to me, damnit!
  • f4Ke (aka FauxK) - By popular demand.

ps4prosfjvh.png

Checkerboard rendering (or interpolation) has become so common that it's ignorant to not call it by it's name. Marketing and companies get away with called checkerboard rendering "4K", when it's really "2x1080p".

With such wide use of the rendering technique, it's time to stop fooling ourselves: we need an acronym for 4K Checkboard Rendering as a whole. This includes common resolutions that come real close to checkerboard rendering, but not product that is deliberately a weird resolution (Like Halo: MCC 1080pr).

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
C.B.N.C mode (close but no cigar)

If you're ok with not having native 4k that's great, just make sure you're not charging customers for a 4k console or advertising as 4k when it's not.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
What is the point of this thread exactly? I don't want to speculate regarding the motive for it's creation but I really don't see a point to this at all.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FauxK

2160c is easy to understand just as 2160ti represents Temporal Injection techniques.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I like the small "c." That seems to recognize the potential added quality of a checkerboarding method, vs traditional interlacing or upscaling, but also notes the obvious difference in clarity from an actual 2160p/4K image.

I think anyone insisting a checkerboard image is the same as actual 4K due to it creating "unique pixels" would necessarily need to feel the same way about a bicubic upscale, and I certainly don't think taking a lower-resolution image and upscaling it is the same as rendering the image at that res.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can output anything at any internally rendered resolution at 4k. You can take a 240p image and output it at 4k. 4k output means literally nothing.

Non-native rendering is the point. Everything can be upscaled to 4k with various degrees of quality as the OP points out. Distinguishing between these is important. Same idea as the 1080p vs. sub1080 discussions.

Whoo boy! Arguing semantics sure is fun. Who cares? 4K doesn't impress me nearly as much as good HDR and 60+ fps.

4K is diminishing returns and I cannot wait for it be diminished and read about you fools arguing over 8K and how "you" can tell the difference because of one processing method versus other while sitting six inches from the screen on a zoomed in tree in the background.

Fun.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Call it whatever you want. You shouldn't be losing sleep over this.

It's a discussion about terminology on a game discussion board, that's what people are here for. People are reasonably making points and responding to each other. If someone gets out of line, they can be reported and mods can take a look.

Nov 23, 2017
Come on, this is a not veiled at all console war thread. You also don't seem to understand that it's not anything interlacing at all OP, not do most or really any games reconstruct from 1080p. I think spider man and god of war do it from 1440p.

So op is heavy on implication, light on facts or knowledge.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's a discussion about terminology on a game discussion board, that's what people are here for. People are reasonably making points and responding to each other. If someone gets out of line, they can be reported on mods can take a look.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a civil discussion. It's important we have a term for it since it's such a widespread use.

Nov 23, 2017
Whoo boy! Arguing semantics sure is fun. Who cares? 4K doesn't impress me nearly as much as good HDR and 60+ fps.

4K is diminishing returns and I cannot wait for it be diminished and read about you fools arguing over 8K and how "you" can tell the difference because of one processing method versus other while sitting six inches from the screen on a zoomed in tree in the background.

Fun.
Get a better tv.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
2160i seems fair enough.

The problem with that is the "i" signifier has an existing meaning, so that might be confusing in a different direction. If a checkerboarding method is in play, I'd think the ideal is 2160c, and noting the "internal" resolution. That way you know roughly what to expect from clarity, and also the output method.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
You can output anything at any internally rendered resolution at 4k. You can take a 240p image and output it at 4k. 4k output means literally nothing.
Sure but a game that's full 2160 using checkerboard that's done right isn't distinguishable between native unless you do what DF does and zoom in and closely analyze it or are very close to two TVs comparing it side by side. Take WipEout Omega it can be native 4K or cb 4K with motion blur and the difference is 99% indistinguishable.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but a game that's full 2160 using checkerboard that's done right isn't distinguishable between native unless you do what DF does and zoom in and closely analyze it or are very close to two TVs comparing it side by side. Take WipEout Omega it can be native 4K or cb 4K with motion blur and the difference is 99% indistinguishable.
*unless you try and distinguish.

So not the same thing at all then.