• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
The Capcom vs. SNK series could be hard to watch with its Frankenstein visuals but Capcom did even worst with its most ecological fighter: Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution with almost only reused assets in an unsightly mix.

capcomfightingjam_48274.jpg
capcomfightingevolution_11933.jpg

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask! At the time i played it, I felt kinda cheated like i was playing a Direct to TV sequel. My views have mellowed out since then.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Uhmm, the One Piece Unlimited Cruise games took a lot of assets from Unlimited Adventure, but that just made the game bigger, with enough bosses to fill the both main games and to encourage exploration to find the secret boss figths. They even recicled one of the locations, but the whole point of the story was that something was recreating stuff from their memories, so at least it made sense.

The thing is, Adventure only got localised to the US and Cruise only got localised to PAL regions, so to us, everything felt fresh. I actually like that they recicled that much. With games like this and Smash it seems like each one is building onto another to make them more ultimate from entry to entry.

maxresdefault.jpg
kss12+(1).jpg

(Not counting regular enemies, it went from 28 characters/bosses to 43, and since the main crew had two full movesets, you could raise it to 52 actually.)

I think assets getting reused is fine as long as there's enough new stuff in (like 70/30) and they fit the artstyle, unlike what Capcom was doing with some of their games in the 90s. If there's something missing I'm going to be probably looking down at the product a bit.
(In this case, Unlimited World Red felt barren because it lacked exploration, so I wouldn't have minded is they reused and polished anything from cruise to remedy that and hide some secret encounters.)

But I can see how thsi stuff could be upsetting in a game like Call of Duty when your are always going to be at the same type of scenario all the time and play the same multiplayer maps, and the very setting of the games forces you to the same gameplay.

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did anyone say the Neptunia series yet?
Because that series is the queen of reusing assets. Every game has the same dungeons lol.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Megaman Battle Network 2 made me feel like I had contracted alzheimers as a teenager.

I cheered when that part of the franchise died, and then cheered again when Inafune was thrown upon the street.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ridge Racer 7 is basically an upgraded version of RR6.

And you know, endless 2D fighters are guilty of this.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Capcom vs. SNK series could be hard to watch with its Frankenstein visuals but Capcom did even worst with its most ecological fighter: Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution with almost only reused assets in an unsightly mix.

capcomfightingjam_48274.jpg
capcomfightingevolution_11933.jpg

Yeah this game is pure garbage
Even MvC 2 had new sprites and completely new stages ... here they reuse art even on the stages =P

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Here is an addendum to Capcom Fighting Jam:

They did create 1 new character sprites, as ingrid debuted here.

XM01SkP.gif

She is Street Fighter Alpha quality, not Street Fighter 3 quality

Also, there are SOME new sprites in the midnight bliss super

BUT
1) lots of reused stuff, from chunli literally turning into her pocket fighter sprite to the t-rex turning into an edited sakura sprite to the darkstalker people simply reusing the original game assets
2) all other midnight bliss moves in other games includes Dimitri grabbing the transformed character and sucking the life out of it, requiring like 4 more animation frames at least

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Polyphony Digital are the worst when it comes to this, especially coming from a developer which prides itself on perfectonism. They used PS2 assets for GT5 and GT6. I cannot believe they had the gall to put PS2 cars (in addition to retextured PS2 tracks). I have no idea about GT Sport however - though it wouldn't suprise me if they reused many of their PS3 assets for that game.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Does Majora's mask count?

Also, what's wrong with reusing your own assets? Development costs are still crazy high, why should a developer not be financially responsible and choose to not reinvent the wheel every time thay make a game?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, what's wrong with reusing your own assets? Development costs are still crazy high, why should a developer not be financially responsible and choose to not reinvent the wheel every time thay make a game?

Nothing bad about asset reuse ... there are lots of games that greatly benefit from it, like Smash Ultimate and Marvel vs Capcom 2 would never be possible otherwise

This thread is just for those that make it too obvious

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You ain't kiddin'. They even made a whole other game in a separate series (Judgement) using those assets and we STILL didn't care!
Actually, two separate series. Way before Judge Eyes they released two PSP games (Kurohyou 1&2) which are based within the Yakuza universe like JE, and also based in Kamurocho (and the sequel has Sotenbori as well), reusing the cities and characters while having completely new combat, stories and mini games. The second game is quite the technical marvel including two cities, tons of old and new mini games, around 20-30 different fighting styles, full story, side stories etc. on one UMD disc. Its also one of the best Yakuza games ever released.

Anyway, while I love Yakuza's asset reuse I do have a bug bear with the Kiwami 1&2 remakes. The games all have shops in the same locations in the original games, with some moving or changing over time - like the Gelato place in Yakuza 1-4 changing into a Takoyaki place, or the Mahjong Parlour/Karaoke moving locations in Yakuza 6. Annoyingly, the remakes don't take this into account and use the same locations as Yakuza 6 (for Kiwami 2) and Yakuza 5/0 (for Kiwami 1) so technically certain stores are located in the wrong places within the timeline. Its an inconsequential issue really, not gameplay impacting in the least but just annoys me a little.

That said, while Yakuza Dead Souls wasn't a great game, they've certainly made the most use of the assets for that game. 0, Kiwami, Kurohyou 2 and Judge Eyes all reuse music, characters/art/models from that game to excellent effect in mini games and side stories.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Nothing bad about asset reuse ... there are lots of games that greatly benefit from it, like Smash Ultimate and Marvel vs Capcom 2 would never be possible otherwise

This thread is just for those that make it too obvious
I don't know, most of the examples in here seem nit-picky, like people being mad that anything is reused at all.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know, most of the examples in here seem nit-picky, like people being mad that anything is reused at all.
I think it's evidence to the point that asset reuse isn't inherently bad and that if anything, it helps make making ambitious games easier with a quicker turnaround. And then on the other end of the horseshoe, Star Ocean V.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Actually, two separate series. Way before Judge Eyes they released two PSP games (Kurohyou 1&2) which are based within the Yakuza universe like JE, and also based in Kamurocho (and the sequel has Sotenbori as well), reusing the cities and characters while having completely new combat, stories and mini games.

I own the first one and forgot all about it! I never knew they made a second one. I may have to track it down now.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
ANY of the early Telltale games.
Monkey Island and Sam n Max were massive offenders at re-using the same character models to save time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I own the first one and forgot all about it! I never knew they made a second one. I may have to track it down now.
Well worth tracking down. The story of the first game has a unresolved plot point that gets picked up in the second game, so if you ca play through both (or just skip the first one as the second game has a good recap of the first game at the beginning).
The second game has some great plot points though, some of my favourite moments in the series. Plus with the combat being different to anything else in the series it feels like it fills in a nice different side of the wider series. Its a pity a remake/sequel was never made to refine it some more, as aside from some issues facing multiple enemies its a pretty darn solid fighting engine (if you've ever played some of the older N64 wrestling games/Def Jam FFNY you'll know what to expect as the same devs did those games).

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Saints Row IV, which took the same awful city from 3, removed all the landmarks, made it dark all the time, and added a eye-searing glitchy affect to everything.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Despite getting a whole lot right with its presentation that the modern 3D Pokémon games still fail to measure up to, Pokémon Battle Revolution is rather blatantly still using models from the Stadium games on N64 for Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I've never played em but all the Five Nights at Freddies stuff looks identical to me
I remember people being mad about L4D2 at the time

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Path of Exile is the king of asset reuse. But the developer reused them well by making the way you play with the old assets differently.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Might and Magic VII and VIII pretty much reused the same engine and a lot of the assets of Might and Magic VI.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There were stuff in Majora's Mask that I thought were reused assets, but actually weren't; like Link's character model.

Also, I don't think being in the same location counts as reused assets if the assets that make up the location are all new (like ALTTP and ALBW).

I'm glad people haven't mentioned the NSMB games here, since that's one that critics always say reuse assets, but actually doesn't. Unimaginative =/= reused.

I will say that the Mario spinoff games reuse a lot of assets, like voice clips and character art.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone comment on the heavy asset reuse of the Armored Core games? I never grew up with that series but was interested in looking up old footage for it in the days leading up to Daemon Ex Machina. That's a series that seems drenched in asset reuse, especially in the PS1/PS2 days.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There were stuff in Majora's Mask that I thought were reused assets, but actually weren't; like Link's character model.

Also, I don't think being in the same location counts as reused assets if the assets that make up the location are all new (like ALTTP and ALBW).

I'm glad people haven't mentioned the NSMB games here, since that's one that critics always say reuse assets, but actually doesn't. Unimaginative =/= reused.

I will say that the Mario spinoff games reuse a lot of assets, like voice clips and character art.
I think NSMB Wii/2/U all re-use the same player models and any repeat enemies re-use the same models. Also they share multiple music tracks between them, especially Wii and 2 which have the same soundtrack.

The backgrounds and tilesets are different, though (despite looking very similar)

The original NSMB also heavily re-used assets from Super Mario 64DS

Oct 29, 2017
Even though I love the game-- Saints Row IV. The city was already the least impressive part of SR The Third, they had a chance to get crazy with it, and 4 just... reuses it again with minimal changes.

Hell in Gat Out of Hell was so much cooler and more inventive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt CoD Ghosts get a lot of flak for re-using the ending animation from MW2 in the opening ?

Some people thought it was some kind of nod to the previous games ....... lol.

Edit - I see it has been posted, that was a classic one.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza it's very obvious but very worthwhile considering it keeps their production pipeline up while also letting them focus on other aspects of development.

Many of SWERY's Access Games productions shared animations - I'm pretty sure the exact same shrug is in Spy Fiction, Deadly Premonition, and D4. It spans 3 different generations and IP!

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2 uses the same art assets and animations, same music in a lot of the areas.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Don't think Majora's Mask can count when it's clearly done intentionally. It's supposed to have this parallel universe to Ocarina of Time thing going on.
That's just an excuse. Not only it counts, it's one of the biggest example of this, to the point even some key characters of ocarina appear in Majora with another name.
You can argue FFX-2 is intentional too, because it's the same world after the events of X, it doesn't mean it's not an evident reuse of assets.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, the oldest monsters, equipment, and areas really show their age, even if the models and textures have been redone. It's incredible contrasting things like Yian Kut-ku to Qurupeco or the Marshlands to the Deserted Island.
MH games are usually improvements over the previous entry despite using older content along with new, but Generations managed to hand pick a lot of the worst levels from before the 3rd gen and the 3rd gen levels are the Portable 3rd versions which lacked underwater. The level design was such a drastic downgrade from 3rd and 4th gen.
Let's see... from Rondo:
  • Dracula X (a semi port of Rondo)
  • Symphony of the Night (direct sequel)
  • Think they made new ones for Circle of the Moon
  • Back to Rondo sprites for Harmony of Dissonance
  • Aria of Sorrow
  • Dawn of Sorrow
  • Portrait of Ruin
  • Order of Ecclesia
  • Harmony of Despair
  • New mobile game?
So like 9?
I wanted to say, Castlevania Rebirth on Wiiware was basically edited 2D sprites and tiles from every 2D game so that would naturally include Rondo of Blood.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
I didn't read the thread but one of the series that asset reuse really drew my attention was the GBA Castlevania games.