• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
dota isnt a sequel, ALBW reused none of LTTP assets (these are very confusing choices)
Dota is marked as "controversal" because it kinda succeeded Warcraft 3. But not as WC4 but as the sequel genre to WC3.

Also assets are more than just graphic models or sprites. If you copy / re-use a complete world then that world is also an asset. Seems like the common definition for assets are: 2D sprites, 3D models, missions, levels, areas, voice, key framing, motion capture, sound effects, music and special effects.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
5o3mVOa.jpg

^Can you tell which game this is?

Wolfenstein 3D?

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Between Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and Raidou Kuzonaha vs The King Abbadon/Persona 4 there are a lot of games using the same engine and reused assest. Still kick ass.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Far Cry with the map?

I think you mean primal which used the skeleton of the map from 4, but you would be hard pressed to tell. None of the plants or animals or anything else really were shared. New Dawn on the other hand just slapped some paint, rust, and colorful flowers on things and mostly called it a day outside of the awesome exposition areas. Granted, it was a budget title at the very least.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 5 - 6.

Re-using the standard cars from PS2 version of GT with most of the textures still intact, which make them look pretty ugly on HD/Full HD display and game engine.

gaH9J.jpg

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Star Ocean 5. It used assets from Star Ocean 4, battle skills were pretty much reskins from Star Ocean 3, oh and re-used a lot of music from SO4. Seriously felt like the cheapest game I've ever played.

Also, Kingdom Hearts is a pretty lazy ass series IMO I was pretty tired of seeing the same shit by the time DDD rolled around

Oh my god this was the biggest cheap rip off ever.

Literally everything about it was copied from previous games. All the characters, their battle skills, fucking EVERYTHING.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-World Monster Hunter titles.

Dragon Age 2 reused the exact same dungeon like five times.

And it wasn't even from the first game.

Human enemies in Dragon Age 2 uses animation from Origins, while your party got new, much faster animation (which they reuse for Inquisition). It's super jarring seeing how sluggish enemy attack is compared to your party (by the time enemy archer shoot one arrow, your bow user already shoot 5-6 arrows), no wonder they threw gazillion amount of enemies at a time to make

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
DOA 6 is so bad for this. They're charging like $90 each for three different "season passes" which are mostly rehashed content from 5.

Lavatein

Sep 14, 2019
Neptunia is pretty absurd for this. The first three games use the exact same dungeons/enemies/items, the only difference is the story. Later games are slightly better about it but there's still a whole lot of deja vu.

Same for the Agarest games. I guess it's an issue with Compile Heart trying to cut costs.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Haven't played it, as this is from my memories of playing GU back in 2016 on the PS2. From what I heard they only turned down the grinding needed in the game, not so much in adding more variety in the zones that you can visit. It still very much is just grasszone (with it varying by using one of three stages of day), cave dungeon, and Japanese shrine dungeon for Vol. 1.
Oh I meant the speed and stuff. Sorry I worded it vaguely.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo-kai Watch had the same Springdale for 3 games. There were slight variations but if you played the first game, you can easily walk around the city in the third game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Easily FF4: the After Years.

Same areas. Same Bosses. Re-used in this game too.

It also just sucks, in general.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Saints Row IV, which is notable both for originating as an expansion pack for its predecessor and being better than it in every single way.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Saint Row 4 was originally a expansion pack, and the open world is just a recoloured version of Steelport with blocks to use superpowers on. It's still a really funny game.
First thing I thought of seeing the thread but I too really liked the game.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North's prestige armour sets being almost entirely reskins of previous sets is something else that comes to mind. I sometimes saw Warrior Asuran armour referred to as Elite Kurzick for poor players lol!

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Half LIfe: Blue Shift. It's not as egregious as many of the examples in this thread, but at the time of release, it came off really poorly. Yes, it was marketed as an expansion pack, but so was Opposing Force, and the latter was practically a full fledged sequel in its own right.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age 2. Good lord that game reused assets to the maximum, so annoying.
The spirit of the thread seems to be games that copied assets into the sequel. DA2 used those dam cliffs/cave/deep road maps for every sidequest, but it wasnt lifted it from origins at the very least.

Barely much was reused from DAO, beyond character creator options and armors/weapons. If anything, the series is weirdly inconsistent with its art design. A better comparison might be DA2 and DAI, like some background props for example.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I know it was mentioned in the OP, but Xillia 2 was pretty rife with asset reuse. Made the whole thing feel like they were trying to recoup costs/buy time rather than genuinely trying to make a sequel, which soured me pretty quickly on the whole experience.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
New Super Mario Bros 2. They didn't even bother to change the freaking music. It's different from NSMB DS, but compared to NSMBW every theme and world order is the exact same and they didn't add any new songs to my knowledge. I still hate how mario games use the Desert World as World 2 since I HAAAATTTTTTE Desert levels more than any other setpiece in gaming. It's so cliche and boring to have it be the next thing to take place after a great, beautiful world 1.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most sequels in every Trails arc. While there might be new areas and dungeons, they all they take place in the same setting during their respective arcs so it's kinda unavoidable.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sprite based SMT games regularly use sprites that were made in 1995 and prior. If Kaneko wasn't such a good artist it'd definitely be a pain.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Sprite based SMT games regularly uses sprites that were made in 1995 and prior. If Kaneko wasn't such a good artist it'd definitely be a pain.
Feels like I'm shilling for pro asset reuse but I was definitely out off by the handful of new demon designs by guest artists in SMT4. Most of them felt like design monstrosities that don't belong.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Arkham Origins, not only it uses the entire Arkham City map AND it's DLC locations, it also has Copy/Pasted animations for characters like Deathstroke.

It also has reskinned versions of City's gadgets. (Glue Grenade)

Oct 27, 2017
Xillia 2, I was so disheartened when I got to the docks and every damn one was the same. I was hoping the world would be a little updated:/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
KOTOR 2 and Fallout New Vegas.

I understand that Obsidian probably had a showstring budget, but I was never able to get into either of those games mainly due to loving and playing the hell out of KOTOR 1 and Fallout 3, so by the time I got around to playing the Obsidian games I was pretty burnt out on them from a gameplay and graphics perspective.

I started up KOTOR 2 and I was like: oh, it's like KOTOR 1 but uglier (like Dantooine was done again, but all destroyed with brown grass instead of green.

And then when I started Fallout New Vegas I was like: oh, Fallout 3's graphics have NOT held up well at all, and setting it in a desert isn't doing it any favors.

Again, Obsidian did everything they could with what they were given, but even with making good stories (I personally didn't like either of their stories much, but can see why people would like them) I just didn't like either of them due to them being such similar quick sequels.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
That was some toxic drivel before launch. It's a multiplayer game with new maps, clothes, hubs and an entirely new campaign. That's like saying CoDs are copy pasted every year.

Also the first game was in HD.

I love Splatoon 2, but it's literally just an expansion to the first game. The mechanics are identical and the story mode is short and very linear. It's silly to compare it to CoD.