• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What score did you get on your yearly performance at work?

Votes: 4 2.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 25 18.4%

Votes: 53 39.0%

Votes: 54 39.7%

• Total voters

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
My small org never did performance reviews, but we got a new chief last year who insists on them.

My boss hates it. She gave me all 5s, but I think she did that for everyone. The pandemic drastically upped our workload, and she's made it clear she thinks it's inappropriate to start rating anyone during a time like this.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Same here, same industry

I got a promotion and a raise which was nice

Congrats on that!

The funny (read: sad) part is? I just got a promotion at the end of March. Which came along with a very nice raise.

So I feel a little shitty about not hitting my main target this quarter.

I'll get it, though.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
This is funny. I put a 1 down in the voting but I guess the companies I've worked for are the opposite as everyone else. 5 is you're gonna be fired and a 1 is walk on water. Luckily I'm in a job now where we are rated but I don't think anyone cares in my department.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They tossed out the ratings a couple of years back, which makes sense as it was never linked to any raises or anything. Now it's an annual 'what are your goals' meeting where we talk about potential courses/training and areas we might want to expand on in our work.

Way less stressful.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Haven't had a scored review since I was paid hourly. At my current job, I've always received what I consider a really nice bonus based on who knows what, so I just smile and get back to work.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I usually get "meets expectations" or something like that. I honestly forget what they call it.

In 10 years, I think I've gotten "exceeds expectations" once or twice. For reference, there is one score that's even higher... "outstanding" - apparently, it's very hard to get this.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Ours goes up to 20 and I got an 18 for "exceeds expectations."
On a 4 point scale I'd get a 3.6, on a 5 point I'd get a 4.5.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever been given a numerical score in any annual performance review of mine. They usually just lay out some categories and tell me that I'm meeting or exceeding expectations in those areas.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually get "meets expectations" or something like that. I honestly forget what they call it.

In 10 years, I think I've gotten "exceeds expectations" once or twice. For reference, there is one score that's even higher... "outstanding" - apparently, it's very hard to get this.
My manager said he only gives people the highest score if they do something on par with "saving the company from an active volcano eruption." I'm like wtf is the point of this scale and who actually gets the highest score?? lol.

Most of the participants in this poll got the highest possible score, so maybe their companies grade a bit easier. Or maybe they're all just next-level employees.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
My manager said he only gives people the highest score if they do something on par with "saving the company from an active volcano eruption." I'm like wtf is the point of this scale and who actually gets the highest score?? lol
Yeah - I find that the requirements for these higher reviews are very weird. We have some sort of chart that explain the key areas of your job where you are judged and then what kind of performance in each area is expected in order to receive a certain review.

Bottom line - it's always phrased in such a way that people that get the outstanding reviews are content-area experts and people that exhibit broad influence across the organization in areas of great importance... blah blah blah. It's all really vague.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
WTF this is actually a thing? We break down things on whether they meet expectations, exceed or needs improvement and add comments or a path to correct. There is no such thing as an actual score and just use it as a reference point to see if problems were addressed from the previous review.

Assigning a subjective score is an express train to employee disenfranchisement.

May as call the score "how much of an asshole is my boss"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've never got these. This is why I love sales. You know how well you're doing pretty easily--revenue you bring in.

Nov 5, 2017
As a teacher, you're rated from ineffective to highly effective. Overall, I was effective with a highly effective thrown into one of the categories.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Era mods should start giving members a 1-5 performance review on their previous year's post history.

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
So glad I don't work for a company that has performance reviews anymore. In the construction industry, as long as you're not lazy and don't fuck anything up, then you're golden. Maybe don't punch your coworkers or drink on the job, but even that won't get you fired as long as you're doing work and not fucking anything up.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Every review for the past 15 years has been "amazing, hard worker, great team player, needs to work on metrics/customer service." And then I nod and say "I'll do better" and consciously don't because fuck selling to people, just let me task. If the product was good we wouldn't have to push it.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Our system is a bit different (one of the major consulting firms) but to translate it I gave an average of 4 to the people that work for me. Two stand out as solid 5s with one of them being truly exceptional. I'll receive my score in a few weeks. We can't give 5s to more than about 20% of the population.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
We don't get scores any more, really. The only score I care about is my raise, and the company had the audacity to use the old "we don't have a lot of money this year..." chestnut after not giving out any raises last year due to covid.

Needless to say, I've been updating my resume and getting ready to move on.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Our superintendent pretty much always gives 3.5/4 because no ones perfect I guess. There isn't even an option for 3.5, he just marks 3 and 4.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
My company doesn't have scores like that. You're either getting your (reasonable amount of) work done or you're not. Salary increases and bonuses seem to be standardized and tied to overall company performance. I like it.

My wife's company has categorized performance and she gets top performer almost every year so we have benefited from that kind of system. It's not for me, though.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had it yet but last few years I've received top marks. This hasn't been my year though so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit lower this year. Gonna feel like a disappointment.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Federal employee here, so yes, we have a 1-5 system. I don't know -- I'm coming up on my first this year after a stint where I was on a different evaluation system. I'm already at the highest possible grade, have extra incentive pay (flat 10%), and receive regular bonuses throughout the year... so the evaluation is really meaningless, and I'm not worried about it. If it could translate into some kind of time off award, that would be fantastic.

My guess is that I'll probably land around 4.5, not that it matters.

My supervisor was supposed to have a mid-point evaluation with me, but that never happened, since I basically manage my own portfolio and keep him advised when I need to.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My manager said he only gives people the highest score if they do something on par with "saving the company from an active volcano eruption." I'm like wtf is the point of this scale and who actually gets the highest score?? lol.

Most of the participants in this poll got the highest possible score, so maybe their companies grade a bit easier. Or maybe they're all just next-level employees.
Every company does ratings differently, and even within the same company they are not consistent. We used to have a 10 point scale, where 5 was meeting expectations, but only 4-8 were ever used.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every company does ratings differently, and even within the same company they are not consistent. We used to have a 10 point scale, where 5 was meeting expectations, but only 4-8 were ever used.
Pretty silly if you ask me. Though it's possible these companies do this so employees have less of a leg to stand on when asking about raises and promotions and stuff.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
3.something I guess if I did the math, which is fine by me. I always aim for the "met expectations" at my jobs because all of them so far have fallen into the "if you do well you get more responsibility without a big enough increase in pay to go with it" category. If my job offered a 400% bonus increase or something like people have mentioned you bet I would care more.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
My job score is basically, "do I still have a job?" if yes then I'm doing okay.

If no...fuck...

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I gave myself a 3 and my boss upped me to 4. So that's nice.
Part of me suspects he's just trying to motivate me though

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Where's the one that says I got let go due to restructuring after a merger but also got a 20% bump in pay and a hefty severance before leaving? I actually think I got a "Successful" score, which was a 2 out of 3, with "Exceptional" being limited to those that went above and beyond during all of 2020 and you had to prove to HR in the review a person actually deserved it. I think out of a team of 20 people, we had two?

It was the HR you gotta have a bell curve of scores bullshit to avoid paying people actual raises.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
We do a 1-4 scale
1 making you go on a final
2 they put you on performance improvement plan
3 meet expectations
4 exceeds expectations
Other than the 1, whatever score you got, is the percentage you get on your raise. Except for last year because of the pandemic we were given 3s but at a 2% rate raise, but can't complain because we were given a cost living adjustment raise.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
As a federal employee it's a mute point The main thing you want is at least a three on your last eval because if you are applying elsewhere some agencies will ask if you received at least a level 3 – fully successful on your last eval. Also anything less than three can prevent a grade increase.

4 and 5 you might get some bullshit time off award or something, but for the most part it is whatever.
My division gets cash awards and time off awards so evals are a whole to do. It's wild. People take it VERY seriously.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the many reasons I prefer to work at smaller companies / startups even if I end up making less money. There's (generally, in my experience) far less emphasis on these arbitrary and impersonal metric scales that are gamed with crap like telling managers to "never give 5s".

I manage a small team and I told my VP of Engineering they all were awesome, because they were. And she knows it's true because I've been singing their praises all year.

And I got positive but still useful feedback when the one non-positive feedback I got was that one of my reports wants me to spend more time with them on their career growth plans.

I know this doesn't scale well to larger teams, but I'll just keep trying to avoid working in those impersonal meat grinders then, thanks.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017