• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You are going to die
So will I

What scares you more, the car that could ram right into you some day with you having done nothing wrong but desired a donut and thought what the heck why not I earned it, so you drive to dunkin

Or

You're 68, older than your father was, and, well, the doc says you aint got much long left. In fact, here is el padre to give you your last rites.

Me?
Idk, I think the second one. I can't help but think that even with a full life of happiness, I'm gonna be on that bed wanting more more and more.

Sorry to bring the thought up. Watchign magnolia, and Tom cruises dads situation made me think of this

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I would say at this point neither because I know that there is so much that is outside of our own control, but that God remains in control at all times. When I was a teenager I did go through a phase where I was horrified by the concept of death though. Made me want to crawl into bed under my blanket and just not do anything the entire day. That was pretty bad.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Random, no question. I wouldn't say I fear it moment to moment. But when you read stories of car crashes, and shit falling, or someone getting punched and hitting their head and dying...that shit is scary.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Known.

The illusion of agency makes it seem frightening.

Not much you do to prevent the unknown though, so not much point in worrying about it.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I feel like I want to decide now
Cause if death takes me randomly, then I want to enjoy each day as it comes, but if I'm going all the way to 70, then I want a long term plan.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
As someone who has actually died, staring death in the face seems much more terrifying. I think of it like being on a roller coaster, and that feeling of going up the incline and knowing you have no control of what is about to happen, and you just have to face it.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I fear a long painful death. I also worry about having an untimely death as well.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Known. I would hate knowing how much time I have left. Too much pressure to make use of each and every second. I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything at all.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
Option 1. Instant death and I don't want to see it coming. I almost drowned when I was a teenager I never want to feel that kind of panic ever again.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if you and several of your loved ones all choose the option to know when it'll happen, and everyone gets the same time...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random. Honestly If I had a hard date for my death and I knew it was accurate that would actually comfort me in a way. I'd be able to prepare.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Random. Like if I got hit with a stray bullet right now, it would fucking suck.

If it's known I would have plenty of time to accept it and plan accordingly.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think death is something to fear. The uncertainty of what oblivion is like is certainly anxiety inducing, but, as epicurous said. People don't fear not being born. So there is nothing to fear in not being alive.

I'd take comfort if I knew I could say goodbye to my husband. And I'd not be around to care if I died randomly.

Now the MEANS of death is something to fear. I don't wanna like die from slow torture!

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
How do y'all come to terms with death?

Like, personally, I KNOW it's emptiness afterwards. But shit man, that suspense leading up to nothing.

I wish I could lie to myself and believe in a heaven

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already older than my dad. He died randomly in a car accident when I was a baby. I don't want to leave my kids that way.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
random definitely.

like biting your food slightly wrong and choking. absolutely horrifying to think it happens to people on a regular basis.

also ice dropping on your head if you live in a cold area. almost happened to me, a HUGE chunk fell right behind me from a rooftop once when i walked to buy groceries, if i had left 2 seconds later it would have hit my head. freaked me the fuck out. it's rare but i remember at least one woman dying like that in my city, a few years ago.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
random death scares me more as there are still people I love that I want to see grow

knowing when I was going to die would be more of a comfort than a terrifying thing for me personally

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Expected death is worse imo. It's not the dying that's going to kill you, it's the counting down to it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Death does not scares me. It will happen sooner or later, whatever i could do. And since once you're dead, you're no more, there's no reason to be terrified of something you can't really experience.

What scares me the most is to become dependant on other people for my day to day life. Either because of a handicap gotten through an accident or simply because of the consequences of old age.

And Alzheimer. Alzheimer fucking terrifies me.

Death is just a the period at the end of a phrase. There's no reason to fear it.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Death scares me a lot, so random death is more frightening.

I have dependents, it's heart-wrenching to think about if I couldn't make it home and they had no idea what happened to me or what to do.
I gotta keep going, no matter what. A known death and a set time limit would at least allow me to plan out options for them :(

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Depends if random and known are inherently fast and slow respectively.

If I'm dying fast, I'll take random. Having a normal day, hey what's that flapping noiCRACK - instant death by ballistic swan or something.

If I'm dying slow then I'd like to have time to come to terms with it.

To contrast, I wouldn't want to be told, "On the 23rd of July next year someone is going to walk through that door and shoot you in the head." Nor would I want to be suddenly hit by a car and instantly go from normal to lingering death in a hospital bed from inoperable head trauma.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No random, my cat need to feed and I don't want to be an exhibition for corpse loving folk.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I face death better nowadays as long as it's random. Known death still scares me.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Known death can also appear randomly. Known death is hard when you have hope that there might be more time. Known death gives you time to start grieving early, or at least that's how I'm processing what's happened to me.

Death is really fucking horrible, I haven't seen anything worse and really hope there's nothing worse to witness.