• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
latest

For some reason, developers (mostly the Japanese ones) love putting fishing mini-games in RPGs, it's a tradition that goes further back than many even realize. But the question is, who did it best?

I can't list them all, but fishing has been prevalent in either all or at least one game of series such as Breath of Fire (probably the most famous example, and one of if not the first to do it), Pokemon, Legend of Heroes, Final Fantasy, Dark Cloud, Atelier, etc., and some in the "If you consider these RPGs" like NieR: Automata, Zelda, and Monster Hunter.

I think Final Fantasy XV may have the most in-depth fishing, but is it the best? I particularly love the button mashing of Trails of Cold Steel, because I'm a quick-time fan, but I don't know that I'd call it the best.

What say you?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the simplicity of Persona fishing, specially 4.

images

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually wish some of these fishing minigames were better fleshed out.

In that regard, I vote Okami. It fits very well into the core mechanic of the game, and the challenge is there.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV. So many fish, so many spots, it was so much fun. First one to take me back to Ocarina/Twilight Princess fishing.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Breath of Fire still wins for me simply because it offers fishing that is both really complex and fun, but also very practical and rewarding. Farfrom being an isolated minigame, the stuff you get from fishing is often very useful and valuable, and it even takes advantage of its own setting to hide shops in the murky depths of fishing ponds.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Fantasy Life, because it's given just as much importance as every other aspect of the game.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Breath of Fire 3 and Final Fantasy XV both have really fun fishing minigames. They avoid the randomness and tedium of some other attempts at fishing minigames, instead offering a fully-fleshed out game into itself.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Breath of Fire 3. It had depth and it provided useful items. It's mandatory at one point, which is unfortunate since not everyone wants to go fishing in their fantasy RPGs, but since I liked it that was fine for me. Breath of Fire 4 built on that greatness but managed to mess up in two critical ways. 3 lets you see all the fish in the water, even if you can't tell which is which species. It also lets you completely deplete that fishing spot until you exit and reenter. This lets you remove all of the other fish in the vicinity so they don't bite while you try to lure the one you do want, and helps you be certain that there are no other types of fish in that spot. 4 had an infinite supply of useless fish that would bite on a wide variety of lures, so even with the right lure, the right location, and the right depth it was still often random which fish you got.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Breath of Fire 3 and it looks like you already covered it. Good call.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I was addicted to fishing Stardew Valley.

giphy.gif

Same.

It's one button with some timing - kept simple and fun.

No pulling in the opposite direction of the fish, no letting the line go slack, no mashing multiple buttons to haul the bastard in. I appreciate what FFXV did in its fishing minigame, but it was too much.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Stardew Valley an RPG? It has a great minigame. Very easy to play but it still allows for interesting fish behavior.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
FFXV, in fact it was a fishing game with a single player rpg as a bonus.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Not the best but I enjoyed Battle Chasers' take on it, kind of an isometric puzzle game but iirc it had some great rewards

FimTlmE.jpg

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The truth is, secretly, they are all bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV.
I never get tired of it and it actually has a pretty high skill ceiling.
There's a lot of nuance in the way you react to how the fish moves to keep your line from taking damage.
Some of those endgame fish are very difficult without food buffs.
They even made a full VR game on it, though the mechanics are quite different.
Honestly, I probably spent half my playtime fishing.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with Dark Cloud. You could buy some really nice upgrade gems, weapons and other stuff I think with the points you get from fishing. It was a pretty easy way to get the stats you needed to evolve your weapon.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I know It's not considered an RPG, but I spent loads of time fishing in Ocarina of Time. So relaxing.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta give it to FFXV. I love how there was a genuine learning curve to the mechanic. When I first got the sidequest to fish the legendary fish and I got it on the hook I lost my line very quick. I was like "How are they expecting you to fish this thing? I wasn't even close. This shit is impossible." But I didn't give up and paid attention to the mechanics and after a while I got the hang of it and caught that sucker.
After really learning the system even catching this fish became really managable. I later caught tons of these with ease just to get Noctis' fishing level up.
Really enjoyable minigame overall and surprisingly satisfying to learn.