• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Remedy Game Since 2010?

• Alan Wake

Votes: 147 40.6%
  • Quantam Break

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • Control

Votes: 189 52.2%

• Total voters

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to download Control on Gamepass, I put it down cause the story never grabbed me, but I was still interested in the world. I heard there is connections to previous Remedy games, and I wanted to know where to start, or how to get the best experience... Any advice from Remedy fans here, I have played a little of Quantam and none of Alan Wake so I'm pretty much a newbie.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Control is their better game by far.

The connections between the game aren't direct for the most part but they're all part of the same shared universe. I don't think it matter where you start with.

You could also begin with Alan Wake since it's usually pretty cheap but it's too repetitive imo.

Takohiko

May 14, 2020
Play Control's main story, finish it, then go play Alan Wake and American Nightmare if you want (Good games but some things are rough around the edges and aged) then do the Control DLC :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Control is the best one they've made. I love Alan Wake too, but its enemy variety is basically as shallow as a two-day-old rain puddle. Basically three enemy types throughout the entire game, which makes the core combat EXTREMELY repetitive and dull.

Control is the ultimate combo of Remedy weird storytelling and actually entertaining gameplay. If you can stomach the repetition, play Alan Wake first, then move to Control.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Their games aren't linked that intrinsically. Play the game you want to, not cos of some perceived lore or order.

Control is the only one I finished but it was pretty good and has outstanding moments. It's dynamite!

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
being playing control since morning and it's looking and playing fantastic, but nothing that they already "kind of" done since Alan Wake, so my vote goes to that.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Alan Wake is my favorite of the three. It's mechanically the most simple game to play, and the enemy variety is a weak point, but I found it the most engaging and enjoyable.

I like all three games, and I'd recommend playing them all in release order.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Control is their best, but I would play all three in order.

They're fantastic, and not to be missed.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Control was absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the PS5 update to play through it again as well as the DLC.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Control. I hated Alan Wake. It has constant cutscenes breaking up the gameplay flow. But Control lets the gameplay stand for itself and it's awesome.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Play all of them in chronological order! They are all great games with their own positives and negatives.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I think I'm in the minority, but I think Quantum Break is the best of those three.

I think the time-travel story is more interesting than either other game and I think the "time powers" are more fun to use than the stuff you can do in Control.

I would say that I think all three are worthy of a play through though, and I think the best way for that is just to play them in order (Alan Wake>Quantum Break>Control).

Jan 4, 2018
Quantum Break is a masterpiece and the story is fantastic (if you read the e-mails).

4909b159410d71e29ee0c0004d996c59.gif

giphy.gif

Quantum-Break-VGP-Review-GIF-2.gif

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Control is better in terms of cohesiveness, but while games were trying to be movies back in 2010, only one game actually managed to execute on that narrative design tenet, and everybody ignored it because it tried to be a TV show rather than a movie. I'm talking about Alan Wake, a game with the kind of narrative beats that would still be impressive today, the kind of scripting that wouldn't be possible if Remedy had stuck to their original open world plan (sorry RPS nerdlords, but you're more wrong than how things come back from Maine cemetaries). The first three chapters (i.e. half the game) is a little repetitive because it's mostly running through the forest, but the story keeps a brisk enough pace to hand-wave it away. Quantum Break executes story stuff almost as well as Alan Wake and is still really good, but it doesn't really have That Thing that makes something truly special, like what Alan Wake has.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
All 3 games are amazing. Play them as they have released, as they all are in the same universe, technically. :)

Technically, the two Max Payne games are also in the same universe. But the slight difference is that they cannot reference Max Payne and Quantum Break by name in Control, so they are using events very closely inspired by those games to reference some things. Not to spoil anything, it's just some side references.

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
Ill be the first to admit I'm a Remedy fanboy I love everything they put out so in my opinion you really can't go wrong. Personally AW is my favorite recent game from them if you don't consider the Max Payne days.

I would just go in order, AW>QB>Control. The combat mechanics get better and better with the games. QB doesn't get a lot of love but I personally loved it.

AW had the best story for me personally. Best of luck OP you are in for a treat regardless of what you do.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
All of them are good, but Alan Wake is easily the best one.

Control has better gameplay, but nothing comes close to AW in terms of story and characters.

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake is their best product as a whole. Best combination of character + story + gameplay. Also the Alan Wake DLC and American Nightmare are all absolutely worth playing.

Haven't played Quantum Break.

Control, the base game, is very good. But I don't think it's a fully formed experience. The main character is a bit flat and the world is purposefully simple. There are times Control shows it's budget. The two Control expansions are not very good unfortunately.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
AW is my favorite Remedy game because of the genre and tone. That being said, Control is pretty great, too.

All of them are good, but Alan Wake is easily the best one.

Control has better gameplay, but nothing comes close to AW in terms of story and characters.

Well said.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
For the Quantum Break heads in here, what's the appeal exactly? Is the story and gunplay better than reviews said?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Every single one of them have fun gunplay.

I love them all.

Start with Alan Wake and work your way through all of them. I think the evolution of Remedy's gunplay/gameplay should be done in order. So you don't feel like you're going backwards in mechanics/playability.

For the Quantum Break heads in here, what's the appeal exactly? Is the story and gunplay better than reviews said?

Honestly, having played all of them. I just assume people that love/like Control, but don't "like" QB, actually never played Quantum Break. Gunplay wise, they're very similar games in MANY ways.

There are literally just some slightly different mechanic/ability differences between the two characters. Quantum Break just doesn't have the giant "puzzle" building side of things like Control.

I also like the fact that Quantum Break covers a larger "area of settings" and isn't mostly stuck in one place like Control. I prefer the "world" and environments of QB to control, but the puzzle like/leveling up of Control over QB.

I've played through QB twice, and I'm hours into my first Control playthrough.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
All are really good, but Control > Alan Wake > Quantum Break

I'd start with Alan Wake tho, It will make the little bits related to it in Control feel very rewarding.

Quantum Break is a good game too, its gorgeous and fun to play but with a narrative and cast that's very dull. Tv Show sucks too. I'd play that last

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
They're all great
Just play them all in order of release

also don't forget about Alan Wake American Nightmare
The gameplay gets a little repetitive but it has an absolutely amazing villain
Also, the Control DLC actually connects to American Nightmare, not the original Alan Wake
Definitely make sure to go back and play both Alan Wake games before the AWE DLC for Control if you end up playing Control first and liking it

I just recently finally finished Quantum Break and it was hugely underrated
(The TV show sections are just really really bad)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's tough choosing between Alan Wake & Control but seeing as I haven't played the former since it came out/the latter was my GOTY, I'll say Control. And yeah, the story is nothing spectacular but the worldbuilding and gameplay were. Never thought a game could get me excited to read a memo but Control somehow did.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020

The story of the game is totally solid but it has TV episodes between chapters that are very bad and probably negatively impacted reviews a lot
And yeah the gameplay is fantastic, a lot of people just tried playing it as a boring cover shooter but you are supposed to never stop moving and it actually encourages you to use all of your abilities even more so than Control

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Control is their best by far (and one of the best games this gen). I suppose I'd start with Alan Wake though, only because it hasn't aged terribly well and would be incredibly hard to play after Control

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Control is my favorite, then Alan Wake, then QB. All are good through. I have more emotional investment in the story and characters from Alan Wake, but Control is a close second there, and it plays so much better.

I really want Alan Wake 2, is kind of what I'm saying I think.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
now that I'm thinking about it playing Control before Quantum Break probably helps to enjoy the story of Quantum Break more

I would maybe say:
1. Control
2. Alan Wake
3. Alan Wake American Nightmare
4. Control DLC
5. Quantum Break

(order to play in, not order of quality)

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
Alan Wake for the story and atmo.

Control for gun play and weird shit.

Quantum Break for doing everything at least average.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake for fun gameplay and story. Mostly story.

Control has almost zero story and when it does happen its in lore dumps and gets boring.

Quantum was yeah it was Quantum. Cool gameplay i guess.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Quantum Break gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Gameplay wise it is definitely an improvement over Alan Wake, even if story-wise, it's a bit of a step down. Still, I'd just start with Control. It is probably their best work to date, even if I have a serious soft spot for Alan Wake.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Control is hands down their best game in the last decade or whatever, but Quantum Break is one of the most baselessly hated-on games on this forum. QB has really good combat and special powers, an interesting story, and is hampered mainly by the effort to make it half a movie and half a game - I think it is really unfairly maligned and it is well worth playing through.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Alan Wake for the story and characters, but to call the gameplay mediocre would be generous. The basic mechanics are solid but my god it is so monotonous. After the first hour you've seen every trick up the game's sleeve.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I would do release order tbh.

Also, don't skip Quantum Break, game is great IMO. Every single time I go back to take a screenshot of the game or just finish off an achievement, I end up playing through the entire game again, so obviously I enjoyed it quite a bit.