• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Hearts I consider to be more of a straight port. It's just the Final Mix version with better performance and higher resolution. There's not really any possible reason to choose any other version than the PS4 one, so it shouldn't count.

-Re: Chain of Memories had changes to some of the card rewards and I believe added reaction commands, though that may have been in the original PS2 version.
-Kingdom Hearts Final Mix added reaction commands, which was pretty big
-Birth by Sleep Final Mix and Dream Drop Distance are ports from portable to console.
-Not sure if the Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix port added anything or changed anything up.

Honestly though porting the Final Mix games from Japanese is pretty cool though. Very much a brand new game for a lot of people who weren't going to go the very extra mile to play those.

Oct 25, 2017
-Re: Chain of Memories had changes to some of the card rewards and I believe added reaction commands, though that may have been in the original PS2 version.
-Kingdom Hearts Final Mix added reaction commands, which was pretty big
-Birth by Sleep Final Mix and Dream Drop Distance are ports from portable to console.
-Not sure if the Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix port added anything or changed anything up.

Honestly though porting the Final Mix games from Japanese is pretty cool though. Very much a brand new game for a lot of people who weren't going to go the very extra mile to play those.
Oh, absolutely, it's an incredible package, and KH II specifically is the best version of one of the best games of all time, but I feel like the thread is better suited for games that are different enough to have different people preferring different versions. I myself still prefer the PS3 remaster of SotC over the PS4 remake, but I don't think a single person will say they prefer the PS3 or PS2 versions of KH, it's just the same thing but running and looking better. There are hardly any subjective changes.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, the 3DS version of DQ8 i guess, but it's really the only version i can play 🤔

But for replays, maybe the PS3 version of Ico and SoTC

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
These days it's really hard to justify playing Metroid 1 and 2 extensively when Zero Mission and Samus Returns exist. Sure, they're not just remasters, but remade so much that they are basically new games, so that leaves some room for the originals. But Metroid 2 in particular is just really rough.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Most remasters, in my mind, replace their originals unless there are massive performance issues.

Pathologic Classic HD, Majora's Mask and OOT 3d, and Dark Souls Remastered all fit the bill for me. I don't really see a point in playing the originals ever.

Same with things like Kingdom Hearts. They are utilitarian -- they bring over missing content and do their job. No reason not to use them over the others.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Kingdom Hearts, Uncharted, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, all the God of War PS3 remasters and the PS4 remaster of 3.

Contrary to the objective of the thread, there are two remasters that are absolutely the worst ways to experience these games, and those are Silent Hill 2 and 3.

Pretty much everything else replaces the originals for me.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker HD added some great quality of life improvements like faster sailing, easier triforce hunt, etc.
But I just can't bring myself to play that version again since I just hate how much the new lighting changes the look of the game.

Also prefer the original 3 Mario games compared to the Allstars version, I just like each of their unique styles vs the more homogenized look in that collection.

But besides that I'm a fan of most remasters compared to the originals unless I have EXTREME nostalgia for the original and I'm not a fan of the new graphics or other changes.

I'll be curious to see what changes EA ends up making to Mass Effect 1. Combat and the inventory can definitely use improvement, but I hope they don't just scrap the Mako entirely (I liked it!).

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
I never played the original Final Fantasy XII but I can't imagine playing it after playing the Zodiac Age.