• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
It came up on my Facebook memories that I was playing this game 3 years ago today, so I wanted to say a quick happy 3rd anniversary to what is still one of my favourite games this gen.

To try rank my top 3 favourite moments from the game,

1) Comic book
2) Fish
3) Bathtub

edith-finch-interview.jpeg

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best experiences I've had on console thanks to game pass. I'm not sure I'd call it a game though.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was the best walking simulator I've ever played and one of the best games of generation.
Really liked The Unfinished Swan too and can't wait for Giant Sparrow's next game.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
What a beautiful, heartwarming and -breaking game.
It´s one of my favorite games of this console gen.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game. Excited to see what Giant Sparrow does next.

While I enjoyed the different gameplay ideas (the factory is my favourite), the story didn't really click with me.
And I had a terrible struggle with motion sickness around the first story with the little girl.
Funny thing tho:
First thing I did in the game was look down at my body and stated comedically, it's not flattering modeled, I look pregnant.
Yeah, well... XD

Oct 31, 2017
Went in blind a few nights ago and was shocked at how good it is. Fish was my favorite.

Tried Everybody's Gone to the Rapture prior to it and was bored to tears, so this was a nice surprise.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really emotional game. Luis's story is probably my favorite because of how relatable it is, but I'll give Milton a run for second just because of how much of a joyful surprise it was for someone like me who really enjoyed The Unfinished Swan.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I only played it and completed it last week in 2 sessions.
Loved it. Many moments will stay with me.

Fish - incredibly clever. The way the segment conveys working an ' assembly line' job you can eventually do it with auto pilot while doing other things the other hand and your mind needing to be elsewhere trying not to get insane is absolute genius.

Comic Book - I am a sucker for Tales From the Crypt and the likes, and this segment was very well done. EDIT: though i have to nitpick with the logic there: why is the key still in the music box when Barbara decides to go look for her boyfriend ? Are we supposed to believe he put the key back in its place after unlocking the basement ? :P

Bathtub - Beautiful

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Having young kids the bathtub scene went too far for me. The fish factory line scene is one of the highlights of contemporary game design (or procedural rhetoric) for me though.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Loved WREOEF, can't wait to see what Giant Sparrow come up with next. The scenarios are all just so creatively well done, even haunting at points.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites of the gen as well. Dont think I can come up with something I didnt like or would change about the game

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The fish factory scene made the purchase and playthrough worthwhile, but I didn't really care for the rest of the game. Going through an empty house/island/scene felt like something was done when this game came out, I didn't enjoy that the path through the house was so extremely linear, and I can't say that the story clicked for me outside that particular scene.

It wasn't terrible by any means, but I rank it way way below games like Gone Home and Firewatch.

OneSneakyBob

Nov 19, 2019
Played it last month and thoroughly enjoyed it. Giant Sparrow is two for two with this and Unfinished Swan, so I'm eagerly anticipating their next work.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better games of its type for sure; these narrative experiences are extremely hit-or-miss for me but I found Edith Finch to be a hit. I guess it has to do with my love of exploring houses, I thought Gone Home was brilliant as well.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Love, love, love this game. Played it on PS4 back then and just bought it on Steam, where it's on sale right now. Second playthrough coming up.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Awesome game. Got it from epic last year... superb and short, but I lost way more hours checking details on every scene than I should.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
why is the key still in the music box when Barbara decides to go look for her boyfriend ? Are we supposed to believe he put the key back in its place after unlocking the basement ? :P

Well yeah. He wanted to scare her. If he took the key with him, it would tip her off that someone definitely went into the basement.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Fantastic game. Never would've thought a "walking simulator" game could be this good.
The Fish and Bathtub scenes are indeed some of the best, but the one on the Swing also always gets to me.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 this gen for me and a real masterpiece. Exhibit A on "games as art" argument. Such a memorable game that masterfully combines good storytelling and emotional resonance with gameplay mechanics.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I finished it but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. :(

Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind for it at the time and shouldn't have powered through.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Best-Cry-Ever.gif

Such a well-told story about generational trauma. After finishing it, I had to call all the family members in far flung countries I hadn't heard from in ages to check on them.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I loved it. I notice some people fail to grasp how the story which is a shame. Reminds me of "life of Pi".

Edith, life is strange and firewatch are the best narrative experiences in gaming imo.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Bored me out of my mind, tried it a handful of times but it just... never clicked I guess.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my top 5 games of all time. Truly an incredible experience, and one of the best examples of interactive storytelling in existence.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I played it blind a week ago and whew, it definitely left a big impression. I had already heard about the cannery section which was a shame since it somewhat diminished the impact, but it's still a genius combination of gameplay and narrative. The most memorable stages were probably the first one with the shapeshifting girl (the ending is really disturbing) and the bathtub sequence which left me in tears.

The ending is a bit anti-climactic and it left me with a "wait that's it?" feeling, but after musing about the game and how the titular character contributed to the "curse", the story suddenly became a lot more insidious and haunting. These layers the story contains firmly put it atop the narrative game genre for me, and it's an experience I'll likely never forget.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I have a 1 and 3 year old, and the bathtub scene was too real for me, had to put the game down for a little bit.

Absolutely loved the whole thing though, amazing storytelling.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game.

My favorites were the fish factory, baby scene, and Milton's tower (because of the music).