• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
So I really want to feel how the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers feel in a racing game. Which one of these 2 games utilize it best?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's definitely WRC 9. Just a lot more nuance to the haptic feedback, where DIRT 5 basically pummels the controller.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Reading about these games makes me really want a racing wheel wth the dual sense tech in it

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I tried them both last night. I prefer Dirt 5 as a game because it's more casual but WRC 9's adaptive triggers feel more nuanced.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Even just based on the impulse triggers on the Xbox controller, it's gonna be WRC 9.

Dirt 5's approach for the acceleration is that the more wheel spin occurs (i.e., the more energy wasted), the more the haptics flare up, as opposed to something where it tapers off as the wheels lose grip. There's some kick on the brakes, but whether or not ABS is active, it's just a basic feeling when it's deployed, and not as responsive as other games.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Heads up for everyone who didn't notice: WRC9 is currently 50% off on PSN. It's 30€ over here in Europe (even cheaper if you use discounted PSN credit). Very smart move IMO, made me just buy the game over Dirt 5 which I was waiting on a sale for. Reviews for WRC sound solid enough and the Dualsense implementation is intriguing. Can't wait to jump in in a couple of hours.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Have only played Dirt 5, and it's rather good. The heptics give a good sense of where your driving, and the movement of the car. The use of the adaptive triggers takes some getting used, it's not realistic, but it does give you extra feedback. I'm excited to try other implementation for other racing games, especially the next GT game.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Dirt 5 is a great game but it's in bad shape right now, they need to patch the performance and use the Dual Sense properly.

WRC9 is on sale right now (50%off), uses the Dual Sense correctly and it's the 2nd best rally game ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Even just based on the impulse triggers on the Xbox controller, it's gonna be WRC 9.

Dirt 5's approach for the acceleration is that the more wheel spin occurs (i.e., the more energy wasted), the more the haptics flare up, as opposed to something where it tapers off as the wheels lose grip. There's some kick on the brakes, but whether or not ABS is active, it's just a basic feeling when it's deployed, and not as responsive as other games.
I noticed on the ice track (which I can't win on for the life of me) that trigger tension seemed to intermittently disappear and I assumed it was due to losing traction. So basically doing it the way you think they should.

I also expected the brake button to have some tension in it but it seems not to.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Heads up for everyone who didn't notice: WRC9 is currently 50% off on PSN. It's 30€ over here in Europe (even cheaper if you use discounted PSN credit). Very smart move IMO, made me just buy the game over Dirt 5 which I was waiting on a sale for. Reviews for WRC sound solid enough and the Dualsense implementation is intriguing. Can't wait to jump in in a couple of hours.
I am very tempted to buy it myself, and the article is also very good, thanks, Mechaplum . It has been at least a decade since I played a rally game, so would appreciate your impression when you have tipped your toes into it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed on the ice track (which I can't win on for the life of me) that trigger tension seemed to intermittently disappear and I assumed it was due to losing traction. So basically doing it the way you think they should.

I also expected the brake button to have some tension in it but it seems not to.

That's encouraging to hear, it may just have a really narrow threshhold that I haven't picked up on.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I just bought Dirt 5 yesterday, but noticed there was a new patch, which I installed before playing and the performance seemed solid to me. I only noticed a few very slight dips. I'm playing in 120hz mode. No issues here.
Yeah, the 120hz mode runs the best. The other two suffer from very uneven framerates depending on the tracks. Some are super smooth, others are chugging as if you were playing Gravel on a PS4 Pro.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I am very tempted to buy it myself, and the article is also very good, thanks, Mechaplum . It has been at least a decade since I played a rally game, so would appreciate your impression when you have tipped your toes into it.
I just played the beginning of the campaign in the last hour. First up, it's fun. I'm very much a casual racing game fan. I do like the Dirt Rally games, and WRC feels very similar, but so far not quite as unforgiving. Controls feel tight and the sensation of speed is great. A big part of the fun so far indeed comes from the haptics and the triggers. The effects are a tiny bit more subtle than I expected, but they really enhance the experience. That article does a good job explaining the Dualsense features. It's really cool. I wouldn't say it's so mindblowingly good that everybody should get the game just for the haptics and trigger implementation, but if you are interested in playing a rally game anyway, it might well be worth the current price. It's definitely a thing I want to see in every racing game going forward.

I can't really talk about how much content the game has yet. The campaign seems to be well made and there are lots of tracks. Online play seems non-existent though, I haven't found a lobby in the past 20 minutes. But hey, at least the game has a splitscreen option. I don't have a second Dualsense yet to try it out, but cool to see the support.

So all in all, quite decent first impression. The only real negative for me is that the game looks a bit rough. Some aliasing, car models and environments don't look quite as good as in some other racing games. I remember Dirt Rallly looking a lot better in 4K, but I played it on PC back when it came out. The graphics are not a dealbreaker for me, but it can be a bit jarring going from graphical showcases like Spidey or Demon's Souls straight into WRC. The game definitely doesn't scream "next gen".

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Haha thanks for reviving the thread! I guess WRC 9 it is. I was kind of hesitant because of the learning curve for a rally game compared to the more casual racer that Dirt 5 is. But it looks like it has better haptics for now. Dirt 5 seems to be redoing them so until then I guess I'll be playing some WRC 9. Plus it's on sale. 🤷‍♂️

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I just played the beginning of the campaign in the last hour. First up, it's fun. I'm very much a casual racing game fan. I do like the Dirt Rally games, and WRC feels very similar, but so far not quite as unforgiving. Controls feel tight and the sensation of speed is great. A big part of the fun so far indeed comes from the haptics and the triggers. The effects are a tiny bit more subtle than I expected, but they really enhance the experience. That article does a good job explaining the Dualsense features. It's really cool. I wouldn't say it's so mindblowingly good that everybody should get the game just for the haptics and trigger implementation, but if you are interested in playing a rally game anyway, it might well be worth the current price. It's definitely a thing I want to see in every racing game going forward.

I can't really talk about how much content the game has yet. The campaign seems to be well made and there are lots of tracks. Online play seems non-existent though, I haven't found a lobby in the past 20 minutes. But hey, at least the game has a splitscreen option. I don't have a second Dualsense yet to try it out, but cool to see the support.

So all in all, quite decent first impression. The only real negative for me is that the game looks a bit rough. Some aliasing, car models and environments don't look quite as good as in some other racing games. I remember Dirt Rallly looking a lot better in 4K, but I played it on PC back when it came out. The graphics are not a dealbreaker for me, but it can be a bit jarring going from graphical showcases like Spidey or Demon's Souls straight into WRC. The game definitely doesn't scream "next gen".

Great impressions, thanks! Been looking for some solid first-hand thoughts. Very detailed.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
dodo667418 Thank you, much appreciated. I made the mistake of watching a professional driver playing Dirt Rally 2 on YT a couple of minutes ago, and man, I am going to suck should I buy it. I played rally games when I had a wheel and I tend to get all tense and crammed up, even got a pinched nerve from it once.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Okay I picked up WRC 9 as well, need a shiny new game to make use of the dualsense. Gonna make a beeline for that Stratos.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Reading about these games makes me really want a racing wheel wth the dual sense tech in it
There are racing wheels out there with killer force feedback at this point. Take a look at any of the belt driven Fanatec stuff or if you have the money and room a direct drive wheel. The DualSense while neat as a controller solution pales in comparison to what is already being done on wheels.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Someone talk me into spending $25 on WRC9 even though I have never played a Rally game.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I like Forza Horizon series :/
Dirt 5 definitely is closer to FH, it's much more forgiving and arcadey than WRC9. WRC9 is closer to Dirt Rally; it's a sim, you have to stay focused or you'll fail, you can tweak your car to get the best possible performance, set tires and repair your car, manage your crew and pay them etc.
Both are great but very different games IMO.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
WRC9 is a pretty good game and on the whole better than Dirt 5. Very different games though so it'll depend what you're after, but I think most people would get more out of WRC9 if they actually gave it a chance. Obviously it's an additional perk that the DualSense feedback is better too.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Triggers and feedback are sweet on wrc9. Can really feel those gear changes and the traction
Brakes are nice too especially the shudder.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Let me know your thoughts!
Really digging it so far. I'm going through the junior WRC league and it's got some good light team management and you get to pick your events on the calendar, or choose when to let your people rest so they don't get burned out.

Out on the track the cars handle great and the PS5 controller does seem real cool stuff. It's was more subtle than Dirt 5 which feels like it's fighting you all the time. Coming from the Dirt series, I'm finding it to be excellent. Graphically it's not spectacular but the frame rate is solid.

Yeah I think I'm about to jump on WRC based on the comments in this thread. I have enjoyed rally racing games in the past. Is it worth the extra $5 to get the deluxe edition?
I ended up not going for it, I don't think one car and one stage are going to make or break anything.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought it on sale and played it for an hour or so. Glad I did. This is the game I needed.

Load times are fast, performance is impeccable, and it handles great. The graphics are nice, nothing too next gen, but has it's moments.

Use of the dual sense is great. Subtle, but thorough. The effect is nice. Going from classic rumble to this is comparable to going from tv speakers to a nice little sound bar. It's not going to rock your world, but it's hard not to appreciate the upgrade and you won't want to go back.

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up yesterday and I'm loving it. First WRC game but I've played most other racing series and always really liked the original dirts and dirt rally. Really like the career mode so far. Can't wait to dig in more.

DualSense feels fantastic and really adds to the tension of the races. I like the rock sound coming from the controller separate from other environmental sounds to convey things hitting underneath the car. I've been playing in cockpit view and I really recommend that to others. Feels way more immersive. The outside the car perspective just feels so tame to me in comparison.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This video goes into some kind of the ways DualSense is made use of. I must say, I'm sold. Was going to get Dirt 5 and Sackboy next, but will probably pick up WRC9 and Sackboy instead.