• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What game?

• Parasite Eve + Parasite Eve II

Votes: 215 21.1%
  • Xenogears (maybe with added content for Disc 2)

Votes: 381 37.4%
  • Brave Fencer Musashi

Votes: 67 6.6%
  • SaGa Frontier II

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Vagrant Story

Votes: 291 28.5%
  • Threads of Fate

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Others

Votes: 33 3.2%

• Total voters

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Vagrant Story is still the best game Square has ever done and it isn't even available on modern systems. Do that.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Parasite Eve please.

But I also want Xenogears with some QoL upgrades and expanded disc 2, Vagrant Story, and Saga Frontier 2.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I've played them all, and Xenogears gets my vote.

Unlike the Chrono Cross remaster and its dubious quality, i would gladly pay full price for a quality Xenogears remaster.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Of all of these, I think Vagrant Story has the art style that best holds up. Also, I think the game could be significantly improved with quick and snappy menus and maybe some other modern QoL.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
At least Blade doesn't name drop -random- names from the -Bible- just to make a setting or character -sound- cool, but doing not much else to -explain- that characters presence in -that- game with it's heavy-handed -religious- and -philosophical- overtones, often -mangling- Christian symbolism to unintentionally -hilarious- effect. Oh, and Gears had aped a ton of -shit- from Neon Genesis Evangelion, including having giant robots pulling off insane stunts.

Seriously, Xenogears has not hold up on the narrative front, and it only gets worse when you make progress and eventually dive into Disk Two. If this game does get a remake, it desperately needs to fix a ton of stuff to make the story more cohesive if it's main goal is to be a religious conspiracy that eventually comits to the act of fighting against that games version of God.
The excess of Xenogears is the appeal though

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears is one of my favorite games so... that. I'm still chasing the high of that game. Xenoblade sorta scratches it but not really.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna vote for Threads of Fate just because it's still a really good game and not too many people know about it lol

Oct 27, 2017
They just put out a chrono cross remaster that was basically just an upscale with auto save added but you guys think that if they remastered xenogears they would somehow remake all the missing content????????

They shouldn't touch the actual content in xenogears unless they somehow get Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga back on board anyway

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
So they should keep these games locked away on the PS1 forever because they can't get a perfect framerate on these ports?

These "popular and beloved PS1 RPGs" have NEVER had good performance

Who said perfect framerate?

I have held off on Chrono Cross right now because I just have too many others to play right now and no need to purchase it, so I am only speaking about what I've read on the OT thread. However, throughout the thread many people are unhappy about the framerate, though, people that have said they played the original. So I assumed it is worse. However, at least with the remasters, if the framerate is the same as from the PS1, then I don't have an issue with that.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Gonna vote for Threads of Fate just because it's still a really good game and not too many people know about it lol

I think Threads of Fate needs a Trials of Mana style remake more than a remaster. I started replaying it recently and oh boy the game is janky as hell. The platforming especially.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think Threads of Fate needs a Trials of Mana style remake more than a remaster. I started replaying it recently and oh boy the game is janky as hell. The platforming especially.

Oh it's janky, but it still has a really nice charm to it. I never even heard of the game until I saw it among the PS Classics back in the PS3 days and I really enjoyed it despite the jankiness.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Leave Xenogears alone unless Takahashi is involved.

Brave Fencer Musashi deserves a revival. Maybe even a remake.

Vagrant Story deserves one too.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Front Mission 3 always gets left out of these polls, like it wasn't better than all but a handful of Square's output on the PS1.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I went with PE1&2 because it'd be interesting to see a more action oriented PE. I loved the turn based of the first one, but if Square could pull off more action in the same vein as 7R or what Capcom did with RE2R, I would be blown away.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Vagrant Story since FFT wasn't an option, but Xenogears would be a very welcome return as well. And I know it's Enix but I would kill for Valkyrie Profile as well.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
everyone-angry.gif

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I imagine Vagrant Story would be a relatively simple effort to update given that it's a fully 3D game that still holds up nicely visually and scales up to higher resolutions just fine. Just add in a better in-game tutorial/guide for the weapon crafting and make item boxes less tedious to use (or just increase the amount of items Ashley can carry.) If you want to go the extra mile, get Basiscape to rerecord the soundtrack with live instruments.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Of the titles in the poll that I've played I'd view them as follows:

Parasite Eve 1 and/or 2 - I don't think these games can hold up with just a remaster. If we were talking RE2 level remake this might be the choice but as-is a remaster won't fix the very aged mechanics of those games.

Xenogears - I can't see the core team who now largely work for Nintendo being able to meaningfully contribute here, and especially if its going to try restoring content that would seem like a must, so sounds like an impossible task to do well at current.

Brave Fencer Musashi - Would be interesting, though I'd rather just see a "retro" style new game and there isn't such a strong core narrative/etc. as to demand a remaster before a sequel could exist.

SaGa Frontier II - I feel like a re-release akin to Romancing SaGa 3 would honestly do just fine here, tbh.

Vagrant Story - my personal preference. Its narrative is very strong so improved visuals from a remaster would highlight that further. Its gameplay mechanics are unique and I think would really appeal to a subset of Souls fans. Matsuno's company actively does contract work for Square Enix and might even be involved in the likely Tactics Ogre remaster. So feels like a perfect storm for this to get a new coat of paint and hopefully kick-start demand for a legitimate sequel to an all-time classic.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Adding content to Xenogears would be a nightmare scenario for the devs ... plus I doubt they have much of the original code left anymore (if they were missing some of Chrono Cross already ...) It would probably be a nice enough remaster, sure, but no real extra stuff that "finishes" the game, youd need a remake for that (and that would be amazing)

Vagrant Story though, that would be my pick

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Of the titles in the poll that I've played I'd view them as follows:

Parasite Eve 1 and/or 2 - I don't think these games can hold up with just a remaster. If we were talking RE2 level remake this might be the choice but as-is a remaster won't fix the very aged mechanics of those games.

Xenogears - I can't see the core team who now largely work for Nintendo being able to meaningfully contribute here, and especially if its going to try restoring content that would seem like a must, so sounds like an impossible task to do well at current.

Brave Fencer Musashi - Would be interesting, though I'd rather just see a "retro" style new game and there isn't such a strong core narrative/etc. as to demand a remaster before a sequel could exist.

SaGa Frontier II - I feel like a re-release akin to Romancing SaGa 3 would honestly do just fine here, tbh.

Vagrant Story - my personal preference. Its narrative is very strong so improved visuals from a remaster would highlight that further. Its gameplay mechanics are unique and I think would really appeal to a subset of Souls fans. Matsuno's company actively does contract work for Square Enix and might even be involved in the likely Tactics Ogre remaster. So feels like a perfect storm for this to get a new coat of paint and hopefully kick-start demand for a legitimate sequel to an all-time classic.
A lot of the art for Romancing SaGa 3 was redone?

It'll probably be close to what they did for Frontier.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Front Mission 3 always gets left out of these polls, like it wasn't better than all but a handful of Square's output on the PS1.
I always have a soft spot for Front Mission because SE sent me a demo of Front Mission 4 years ago and I never got around to offering feedback cuz my life got upturned and I always felt partially responsible for how that series ended up lol.

But at least it seems like Front Mission 3 is now dependent upon the remakes of 1 and 2 performing well. So there's at least a chance.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
On that list I want Musashi.

But I can see a potential for Parasite Eve 1 and 2. Maybe even a higher effort RE2make like thing.

I don't know what I want for Xenogears. Might be candidate for 2DHD but not in a way we see 2DHD right now. Like a "next gen" 2DHD

Threads of Fate is such a fun game. The Trials of Mana look is such a nice fit for a smaller scale remake. (Now that I think about it, Musashi fits here too) Damnit now I want this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I always have a soft spot for Front Mission because SE sent me a demo of Front Mission 4 years ago and I never got around to offering feedback cuz my life got upturned and I always felt partially responsible for how that series ended up lol.

But at least it seems like Front Mission 3 is now dependent upon the remakes of 1 and 2 performing well. So there's at least a chance.
Time to let go of that guilt. It's not your fault.

76cP4Md.gif

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
They're never going to restore disc 2 of xenogears and they need to apologize to PE fans for the third birthday.

So PE gets my vote.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Easily Xenogears but after seeing what has been done with Cross, I'm not sure I want another attempt. I guess the backgrounds being the (3D) element might make this easier to do right, but that game is classic and really don't want to see it botched if ever redone

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Parasite Eve 1 with an extra EX mode that randomizes the drops and makes all bosses available from the start kind of like FFIV Free Enterprise. That is the dream.

Also Brave Fencer Musashi at some point.