• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Any game that has a dynamic resolution and/or an uncapped framerate should benefit. They should all benefit from the SSD too, but not as much as games designed specifically for it.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Few examples from https://www.resetera.com/threads/all-games-with-ps4-pro-enhancements.3101/

Attack on Titan 2
Runs at 2160g with 30-60fps [Framerate should become more stable]

Apex Legends

Dynamic 1440p (often drops) | 60fps (w/ some drops) [Should hold a higher framerate and resolution more consistently]

Battlefield 1
Battlefield V

Dynamic Resolution often capped at 1800 or 2160, targeting 60fps [Should hold a higher framerate and resolution more consistently]

Call of Duty Warzone

Dynamic 2160t, usually ~ 1528p | 60FPS [Should hold a higher resolution more consistently]

DOOM Eternal
Dynamic 1440p with drops | locked 60fps [Should hold a higher resolution more consistently]

Killing Floor 2

1800c | 50-60fps [Should hold a more stable framerate]

The Last of us Remastered

1800p | 60fps w/ drops [Should hold a more stable framerate]

Monster Hunter World

1800c | 30-45fps [Should hold a more stable framerate]

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3

1620t | Variable framerate with drops [Should hold a more stable framerate]

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

1800t | 40-50fps [Should hold a more stable framerate]

Star Wars Battlefront II

Dynamic 1800p | 60fps [Should hold a higher resolution more consistently]

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Dynamic 1440p | locked 60fps [Should hold a higher resolution more consistently]

Wolfenstein II
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Dynamic 1440p | 55-60fps [Should hold a higher framerate and resolution more consistently]

Last edited:

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Only games with boost mode will benefit, we have no idea which ones those will be yet. The only games confirmed are GHOSTs of Tsushima, God of War III and those games in the PS+ collection.

The game which excites me the most in his regard would be playing call of duty black ops III zombies maps in splitscreen. The framerate gets *real* low on that title at times on the base PS4 which I have + I'm looking forward the resolution bump from the pro mode.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Paying very close attention to this thread to see if I can help answer some questions when I'm allowed to! :) I've managed to get some pretty detailed frame rate analysis tools working for footage I'm capturing. Think "Budget-al Foundry" :P

Can you at least say if we will notice a difference in unpatched games? =)

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing.
blog.playstation.com

PS4 games on PS5: Your top questions answered

Details on backward compatibility, how Game Boost enhances select PS4 titles, and more.

Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost.

Emphasis on the word select. Hopefully it will be a large selection though - the number the games that need the reduced clocks of PS4/PS4 Pro in order to function should be quite limited with the way most modern games engines are architected.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
blog.playstation.com

PS4 games on PS5: Your top questions answered

Details on backward compatibility, how Game Boost enhances select PS4 titles, and more.

Emphasis on the word select. Hopefully it will be a large selection though - the number the games that need the reduced clocks of PS4/PS4 Pro in order to function should be quite limited with the way most modern games engines are architected.

My question is does "Select" means games patched to support it or simply games with uncapped framerates. Or maybe both?

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams should see some massive benefits I'd think? I'm excited to try that.

Seeing improved framerates will be great, but with them hinting at PS5 support years ago, I always assumed it would get a native version pretty much at launch. Now it seems that won't be possible at all or they'd have to remove VR support because native PS5 games can't support VR. Kind of frustrating.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
My question is does "Select" means games patched to support it or simply games with uncapped framerates. Or maybe both?

I expect it just means games that were able to run with PS5 clock speeds without exhibing any errors. It's just that only games with DRS or uncapped framerates (or didn't hit their original framerate targets) will benefit from increased resolution/performance because of this. However a game like TLOU which hit its performance goals whilst not having increased resolution or perf (that we know of unless PS5 patch adds additional options) will still benefit from game boost as the additional CPU clocks will allow for faster asset loading and decreased load times - even if the visuals and framerate are unchanged from PS4Pro.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"Games with boost mode" implies...that the game has a mode. That's not what boost mode is.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Whatever games got patched for Pro, I expect those resolution targets hitting their gap and hitting 60fps. No real reason why they will not. Series X is just using basic One X versions and maxing it, so unpatched to use the PS5 features, games with unlocked framerates will max out (Unless the game has major issues like ARK.)

I don't see Sony patching it on a game by game basis, unless its a 1st party title. The onus will be on the dev to go back and upgrade if they want it.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
"Games with boost mode" implies...that the game has a mode. That's not what boost mode is.

Good point. I was using the terminology of the PS4Pro where boost mode was a feature enabled at the OS level. Whereas it seems like game boost will be the same thing, but automatically turned on where applicable on a per-game basis.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Maybe Hitman 1 and 2 will get a similar bump to the unlocked framerate mode as XSX?

No need - native PS5 Hitman 3 client include 1&2 within it.

The best game to try this out is sadly Avengers.
Dynamic 4k AND unlocked fps.
The engine is messy but it will be a good benchmark for next gen.

Not sad at all! I have it for free for PS4 via Verizon.

I'm really really eager to play through The Last Guardian again once I get my PS5. If most of the technical hitches are ironed out then that'll turn the game from a 10 outta 10 to an 11 outta 10.

Still wouldn't mind a full-fledged remaster though, with the camera rejigged and the ability to turn off tutorial prompts that appear late in the game.

This is a GREAT one. A game I forgot about, never played due to technical issues that should get fixed easily on PS5.

Discussed pretty thoroughly in this thread here
The PS4 Pro enhanced thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/all-games-with-ps4-pro-enhancements.3101/

Is a great resource to determine which games could benifit (e.g. games that run unlocked and/or have dynamic resolution).

Thanks!

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Local play should see some significant improvements. Online stuff is still heavily dependent on communication with servers. I only play SFV, but it seems like CFN servers will probably be a bottleneck to some extent. Maybe other fighters feel more responsive in that regard.

Not talking about online. Local play in SFV, Tekken 7, DBFZ still takes way longer than it should.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
UPDATED: 2020-11-08 after Digital Foundry's update
PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKQ6NeTjccA

Summarizing other people comments and mine inputs from the other related thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...nt-wait-to-play-smoothly-on-next-gen-consoles

Games with Dynamic Resolution (DSR) should look better.
Many FPS-games tend to have DSR such as Titanfall 2.

All games with PS4 Pro enhancements thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/all-games-with-ps4-pro-enhancements.3101/
Games using CBR (Checkerboard Rendering) have their resolutions listed as e.g. 2160c or CBR. Standard rendering is listed as e.g. 2160p.
Two other methods are listed: temporal accumulation types similar to CBR as e.g. 2160t, and geometry rendering--where only polygons are more detailed and textures are unimproved--as e.g. 2160g. (Note that neither CBR nor any others of these are types of upscaling. Additional upscaling to 4K is still necessary if the resolution is below 2160.)

Some unpatched games that will run in 60 or close to 60 fps on PS5:
Bold = extra heavy titles that may or may not reach 60fps on PS5
TBC = To Be Confirmed (on PS5)
PS4 = PS4 Pro
  • Abzu (PS4: 1350p @ 45-60fps)
  • Apex Legends (PS4: Dynamic 1440p with often drops @ 60fps with some drops. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution)
  • ARK: Survival Evolved (PS4: 720p @ 30-60fps)
  • Atelier Firis (PS4: 1080p @ 30-60fps)
  • Attack on Titan 2 (PS4: 2160g @ 30-60fps)
  • Avengers (PS4: 1080p @ 45-60fps)
  • A Way Out (PS4: 1080p @ 50-60fps)
  • Battlefield 1 + Battlefield V (PS4: Dynamic Resolution often capped at 1800p or 2160p @ 60fps with drops. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution)
  • Berserk and the Band of the Hawk (PS4: 1080p @ 35-60fps)
  • Bioshock Remastered (PS4: Tearing and drops)
  • Borderlands 3 (PS4: 50-60fps)
  • Call of Duty Warzone (PS4: Dynamic 2160p usually ~1528p @ 60FPS. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution)
  • Cities: Skylines (PS4: 1080p @ 40-60fps)
  • Code Vein (PS4: 50-60fps)
  • Dark Souls 3 (1080p @ 60fps)
  • DOOM Eternal (PS4: Dynamic 1440p with drops @ locked 60fps. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution. Is started in bootable mode with warnings of possible bugs but runs great!)
  • Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2
  • Final Fantasy 15
  • Hitman (2016 game) (PS4: 1440p @ locked 60fps)
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Just Cause 3 (PS4: 1080p @ locked 30fps)
  • Killing Floor 2 (PS4: 1800 CB @ 50-60fps)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack 1 & 2
  • MLB The Show (PS4: All games runs badly in 2160p @ 30-40fps)
  • Monster Hunter World (PS4: Resolution Mode is 1800 CB @ 30-45fps)
  • Nier Automata (1080p)
  • Oddworld: New 'n Tasty
  • OVERPASS (PS4: 1080p @ 50-60fps + tearing)
  • PUBG (PS4: 1080p DSR @ 45-60fps)
  • Pure Farming 2018 (PS4: 1080p @ 40-50fps)
  • RE2 + RE3 (PS4: 1620t @ Variable framerate with drops)
  • RE5 (60 fps with drops)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (performance mode 1080p)
  • Sekiro (1800t CBR)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (performance mode 1080p)
  • Shenmue III (PS4: 1080p @ 40-60fps)
  • Skater XL
  • Star Ocean (PS4: 2160p @ 60fps with some drops if chosing extra customizeable high graphic settings. PS5: Runs locked 60fps at highest graphics settings)
  • Star Wars Battlefront II (PS4: Dynamic 1800p @ 60fps. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution more consistently)
  • Steep (PS4: 1080p @ 45-55fps)
  • Strange Brigade (PS4: 1440p @ 40-60fps)
  • Subaeria (PS4: 1080p @ 35-60fps)
  • Sudden Strike 4 (PS4: 1080p @ 45-60fps)
  • Tannenberg (PS4: 1440p @ 45-60fps)
  • The Evil Within (PS5: 1080p locked 30fps)
  • The Evil Within 2 (PS5: 1296p @ locked 60fps)
  • Titanfall 2 (PS4: 1440p DSR @ 60ps with few drops)
  • Trove (PS4: 1080p @ 35-60fps)
  • Until Dawn (PS4: 20~35fps on PS4 Pro Boost Mode. close to 60fps on PS5.
  • Verdun (PS4: 45-60fps)
  • Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Martyr (PS4: 1440p @ 40-50fps. Tearing)
  • Warriors All-Stars (PS4: 1080p @ 45-60fps)
  • Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate (PS4: 2160g @ 30-50fps in splitscreen)
  • Wolfenstein II + Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PS4: Dynamic 1440p @ 55-60fps. PS5: Should hold a higher resolution)

Games getting free patches:
  • AstroBot VR
  • Days Gone
  • Fortnite
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • God of War (2018)
  • God of War III
  • No Man's Sky
  • PUBG
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Sekiro
  • TLoU (1800p @ 60fps w/ drops. Should hold a more stable framerate)
  • TLoU2
  • Witcher 3 (TBC)
Games getting paid upgrades/releases:
  • Spider-Man (confirmed, paid upgraded version)
  • Control (confirmed, paid upgraded version)
  • Devil May Cry 5 DMC5SE
  • FF7 Remake
PS+ COLLECTION-games without any confirmed patches:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • CoD: Black Ops 3
  • Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • FF15
  • Fallout 4 (only patched on Xbox Series SX)
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • RE7
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • Uncharted 4
  • Until Dawn (?)
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
Games I'm eagerly awaiting any news on:
  • Death Stranding
  • Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. If PS5 doesnt get the Fallout 4 Series X 60fps patch, it should still be able to reach 60fps through a mod similar to the current available 720p 60fps mod but in 1080p instead)
  • GTAV
  • Human: Fall Flat - I got reply from a tweet so I'm holding my thumbs for an upcoming 60fps mode!
  • RDR2
  • TLOU2
  • Ubisoft titles such as Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Part of the launch period will be (hopefully) playing older games I never got around to due to frame rate issues:

Final Fantasy XV
Jedi Fallen Order
etc

Do we have any info / expect these to play at 4K/60 on PS5 at launch? I do expect them to run at 60 on Series X but I think I would prefer to buy a PS5 first for Miles Morales.

What other games should benefit from native boost mode?
We know which games work on PS5 and which don't. But we have no information whatsoever which of those working games is using native mode/boost mode. Even then you are limited to whatever their upper limit of the dynamic resolution was. More often than not games were 1440p on Pro and thus don't expect native 4K, because there is a artificial limit.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games that got or will get free patches at PS5-launch:
  • Until Dawn (rumor?)
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • God of War (2018)
  • God of War III
  • AstroBot Rescue
  • No Man's Sky
  • Days Gone
  • Sekiro
  • TLoU Remastered
  • FF7 Remake

Is this confirmed? FF7R is getting a ps5 patch? Will it achieve 60 fps?

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Hmm, FF7R got its first patch but I don't know exactly what it does. Probably fixing the texture problems on fast SSDs. We cant count on 60fps though and I can imagine Sqenix puuting out a separate enhanced PS5 version along with a demo of Remake Part 2 :p

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I updated my BC-list above with many problematic titles in bold which should be interesting to try on PS5.