• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
what projects have you backed on kickstarter? Share your experience here.

Have you been scammed out of money by any projects? Still waiting for games that have been severely delayed? Or how about some positive Kickstarter experiences that have worked out smoothly.

I'm currently backing a few projects at the moment but I'm going to hold off backing more until some of them are released. I haven't been burned by any yet, but with the pandemic, all of the games I'm backing have been delayed until end of 2020 all the way till the end of 2021. All of them have been good with communicating with the backers so I feel good about it.

Just a short list of some of them

Orange Island (should be released end of 2020)
Sea of Stars (2022)
Bushiden (2021)
Geeksline NES, SNES, N64 artbooks should be released next month!

My only regret so far was I never backed the Hyperlight Drifter campaign as it is one of my all time favourite games, but in 2013 I didnt know too much about Kickstarter so I didnt feel comfortable at that time giving money.

What about everyone else?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Both Pillars of Eternity games. Absolutely satisfied.

Also Critical Role's animation KS. That one (understandably) hasn't seen the light of day yet but I'm patient.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Shenmue 3.

I don't regret it, even though the game turned out to be a major disappointment. But I don't think I would ever Kickstart another game.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been tempted to, but it seems there's rarely a success story with Kickstarters. Always read about people not getting what they paid for or a title doesn't deliver its promises.

Dec 2, 2017
mighty no 9 was a big regret.
wonderful 101 I haven't received my physical copy yet but with covid it's difficult to call it a regret yet.
and that colouring game on switch.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Star Citizen - absolutely regret this
Battletech - wonderful game
Iron Harvest - Alpha and Beta plays like one of the best game in the genre.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've backed two: Lobodestroyo and Yooka-Laylee. Clearly I need Banjo-Kazooie clones in my life.

Regardless, I absolutely regret Lobodestroyo. Hasn't seen an update since last year.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
R-Type Final II

No regrets thus far.

Star Citizen.

Absolute regrets. Between the incompetence of CIG and a rabbid and toxic defense force, I am glad I got out and got my refund.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
While not a video game, I backed the Ghostbusters board game years back. Got the product as described and then some.

I think there was some weirdness where retailers ended up getting it before backers, but whatever honestly I feel like that happens a lot.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
Yooka-Laylee - had fun with it and enjoyed it well enough. Allowed them the opportunity to make Impossible Lair, which is a masterpiece, so no regrets at all.

Bloodstained - played about half of it and keep meaning to go back to it. Solid game so I don't regret it.

Band Saga - backed in October 2014 with no release in sight. It was $15, so I'm only slightly annoyed at this point.

Mighty No 9 - all the regrets in the known universe and I can't talk about it beyond that. Watching $100 go down the toilet would've provided more entertainment.

Recently gave $30 to Akurra and have no worries about the final product. The demo was worth it alone.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I backed Project Phoenix with.. $400? I believe? Never again.

I also backed Counterplay Games with Duelyst at $200, never got my statue.

Other projects did well, like Hyperlight Drifter and Pillars of Eternity. But in general, burned by this experience and I'm not happy.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I regret how much I pledged to Yooka Laylee with how little I got in return. An art book turned into a 10 page instruction manual. I would've been better off spending $20-30 on just the digital game, but alas... learned my lesson.

Shenmue 3 I don't regret a ton in retrospect, I just never got around to beating the first two games so I just blew $60 for no reason since that's still sealed.

Everything else has been fine or better.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Some jrpg for the ps4 that never made it past a crappy PC early access and shenmue III.

I'm in no rush to throw money at anything that doesn't actually exist from this point forwards.

OP
OP
PersianPrince

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I've been tempted to, but it seems there's rarely a success story with Kickstarters. Always read about people not getting what they paid for or a title doesn't deliver its promises.

I would consider Hollow Knight, Hyperlight Drifter, Undertale, Thimbleweed Park, Bloodstained all great success. While not every single backer will be happy, overall they have been successful.

I think gone are the days that people are going to throw money towards a project like they did 5 or 6 years ago. But I think devs are learning to stop over promising with physical rewards and tons of stretch goals and to communicate with backers every 1-2 months.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For games, Broken Age, Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained. Happy with all of them despite not having completed any for some reason.

still waiting on wonderful 101

Also backed Psychonauts 2 on Fig.. super excited about that one.

OP
OP
PersianPrince

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I would consider Hollow Knight, Hyperlight Drifter, Undertale, Thimbleweed Park, Bloodstained all successful. While not every single backer will be happy, overall they have had positive reception.

I think gone are the days that people are going to throw money towards a project like they did 5 or 6 years ago. But I think devs are learning to stop over promising with physical rewards and tons of stretch goals and to communicate with backers every 1-2 months.

Delete this please. It was an accident. Thank you!

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Only The Good Life by Swery. No regrets so far as there's been nice regular development updates emailed to me often, and even with Swery working on Deadly Premonition 2 it seems like it's coming along nicely. I was expecting it this year but COVID has probably affected that so hoping to play it early next year - though I'm not super bothered how long it takes as long as it comes out at least decent, which so far it looks like it will be

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Just 4 off the top of my head.

Xydonia - Funded 2016, still not released (classic shoot-em-up). Very little communication. Last real update was last year.
Xeno Crisis - Funded, 2018. Released. Excellent communication, excellent team. Good game!
Yooka Laylee - Funded, 2015. Released. Mediocre game, excellent communication.
Phantom Gear - Funded, 2019. still not released (platformer). Last update in April.

At this point, only Xydonia is a regret. Really to me, I get that it takes time to develop games but you do need to provide on-going communication to your backers. You can't just be silent.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls board game, which gets me random boxes in the mail that I didn't ask for every year now and I suspect I'll get them until I die, and I backed Indivisible for a physical Hiroki Kikuta soundtrack and a Switch LE. First one came in a broken CD case and the second, well...

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
I backed Mighty No. 9 which quickly gave me my rule to not back any games. If something looks interesting I'll just buy it if and when it actually comes out.

I've backed several books from Bitmap Books and never had any issues.

I also backed You Are Now Earthbound from Fangamer way back in 2014. They were great about the handbook and other goodies, but there's a documentary that they're STILL working on. I backed it for the handbook so I don't care too much, but they went for close to a year multiple times without any updates on the film.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Bloodstained and Shenmue III. Bloodstained's was good, but I do regret supporting Shenmue III and will not back another game from the same group.

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
Four projects: Strike Suit Zero, Flipgrip for Switch, Double Fine Adventure and Hex Heroes.

The only one I regret is Hex Heroes. The project is a party RTS for Wii U and PC. The Kickstarter went live in 2014 and the game has not been released yet (although it is still in development).
What makes me really disappointed with the project is the fact that I have no interest on it as a PC game: I was excited to play it on Wii U. I'm not reading the updates anymore, but I really doubt it will be released on Wii U when it finally releases.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming-wise:
- Shemnue III - didn't even play it yet. I never played the original games but got hyped from the announcement and backed it immediately. The initial trailer immediately threw me off and I don't think they've made a good job bringing me back with the following showings. And critics appear to agree.
- Truberbrook - The initial presentation looked very cute and intriguing but I haven't played this one as well. But I plan on playing it in the future.
- Friday the 13th - This one I was really happy with the end-product and I think they fulfilled their project promises. Had a really fun time playing it for awhile and the project had a lot of potential. Too bad they didn't get to keep the license and improve on it.
- H-Hour: World's elite - A espiritual successor to Socom by the original team. The game was released EA on steam in 2015 but I backed for the PS4 version that never saw the light of day. It did have potential but I think they didn't make enough money with Kickstarter as they wished/needed and they never managed to convince a publisher to back them.
- Armello - They fulfilled with the game but when it launched I had a crappy PC so never devoted much time to it.
- Among the Sleep - My first KS videogame project, I only backed with 1$. Had a lot of promise but the end game felt short, I think (only played the demo).

I much prefer my experiences with boardgames on KS. But I really like the platform and it's always exciting to find a project you care about and having the ability to help those developing it. I am fortunate enough and never got involved with a scheme.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale - first one i ever backed, brilliant
Broken age - backed it but I didn't get around to playing it yet.
Outer wilds - I loved the concept prototype and thought it would be great, came out better than I ever hoped
Wonderful 101 - Loved the original version so it was a no brainer to see it come back on modern platforms
Psychonauts 2 - actually forgot I backed this so i'm excited again. Hope it turns out good.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Double fine Adventure, Praey for the gods, and Wonderful 101. I don't regret any of them exactly but I kind of wish I went digital for W101. I would have been playing it on my PS4 by now.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Cosmic Star Heroine - Came out and was awesome
Bloodstained - Came out and was awesome
Wonderful 101 - Waiting for the physical release
Sword of the Necromancer - Was just funded a week or so ago. So we'll see.

Pretty good track record for me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Double Fine Adventure for 100 dollars. No regrets really, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the game (I freaking LOVE the art, though). It's totally worth it just for the excellent documentary IMO. I like the "big box" too.

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded for 100 dollars (guess I just wanted another "big box"). Some regrets. Got exactly what we were backing for, if that makes sense: a re-done version of the original Leisure Suit Larry. What I remember from the campaign was the guy running the project just acted like an absolute asshole to backers sometimes when there'd be a long delay in info and people would ask (not in a shitty way, either) for an update or something. Mr. Lowe, from what I understand split ways with him because I think he turned out being a real creep. I'd have to look it up honestly, it's been so long.

Shenmue III for 60 dollars. I just wanted a physical copy. I may or may not ever actually play the game. I don't have any regrets with this one. I absolutely loved the first game when I first played it back in 2001 or 2002 (can't remember), but had to stop because of "life." Didn't end up actually beating it until like... 2015? Still love it.

non-gaming: Samurai Cop 2 for 60 dollars. Never actually watched the second movie, but no regrets at all for getting blu-ray copies of both films autographed by Mark Frazer and Matt Hannon. I'm really glad about this one.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I've been relatively lucky with Kickstarter. My biggest gaming disappointment was Slain, which seemed okay but I just never got on with it even after the big update they put out. Other then that I've backed Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Masquerade: Songs and Shadow and Blasphemous and been happy with all of those.

However, their is one big elephant in the room, I backed Cultist Simulator. That game was developed by someone who is a bit of a shitstain and that only came to light after the game was backed and released. The game itself is fine (quite good even) but I wish I hadn't given that man my money so that is probably my biggest kickstarter regret.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
A PnP tabletop rpg. Kinda disappointed since it was a decent reboot of a fantastic original.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Wonderful 101. Small regret that I should have gone with a physical Switch copy so I would be having a bonus Steam copy. Settled with a digital Switch copy.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained, Pillars of Eternity, and A Good Life

With just released titles, that's 2 out of 2 successes. Hoping a good life makes it 3 out of 3.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The Wonderful 101 "Remastered": haven't played it yet, the allegations that the Switch version sometimes runs worse than the Wii U version (+ numerous pc bugs) did does not inspire confidence, yet the orchestral arrangement backer reward was in the game at the start? Idk I feel really weird about this, I hope they take one more swing with an update and absolutely nail it.

Shovel Knight went above and beyond, only regret is that I somehow lost my digital art book like a dumbass.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
jFIbppr.png

Backed plenty of projects that for one reason or another could never deliver, but zero regrets. Just happy to help give creators a chance to make stuff.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I donated to Yooka Laylee and while I didn't completely dislike it there were major flaws. However through the success of that campaign we got Impossible Lair and thats a good thing.

I also donated to Sea of Stars, which looks solid and has my hopes up.