• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which decade do you choose?

• 50s

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 60s

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 70s

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • 90s

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's all had VERY distinct identities. Technology was improving fast, the world was going through major cultural shifts. Those shifts showed values being shaken up, idelogies changing.

For adults, this meant something different. There was the threat of nuclear war, the loss of the values they grew up with, trying to make it in a rapidly changing world.

But teenagers don't need to worry about that stuff. Teenagers care about media, their hobbies, their passions, making the world a better place/slacking off/feeling good all the time (depending on personality). And these particular decades showed a huge rise in youth culture, catering to this specific age group - especially in media.

Which decade do you think you'd have liked to grow up in? Why?

I actually did grow up in the 90's, but not as a teenager. I was still a kid back then.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Tough to argue against the 90s. You have all the media of the 50s through 80s, better technology (and the internet for some) and no threat of getting drafted or nukes randomly being fired from Russia due to cold war bullshit

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If we can choose any country, I would pick being a teen in the Japanese 80's. What a time that would have been!

City pop, the economic bubble, the rise of the famicom, an awesome era for anime.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
90's for sure.

It wasn't a perfect time, you still had some societal problems, but it was a naive time after the cold war and before 9/11.

Plus, TV kicked ass.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I actually was a teenager in the 90s, so I picked that. I can't think of many benefits to living earlier than that. Maybe the 80s in terms of employment opportunities. I finished my Masters degree in 2008, which wasn't exactly the best timing.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I wish I was a teenager in the early 90s instead of the 00s because when I graduated from college I could have established myself. I graduated right as the regression was in full swing and got fucked.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was a teen in the '90s. It was fine. We got the best of the pre-internet world, and the start of the internet world.

This is a thread for people younger than 30.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I sometimes wish I could travel back in time and live life in the '80s, then go through the '90s again. I know what I'm looking for, and I want to see all the things that time forgot.