• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What percentage of your music library is from gaming ?

• 0% Why would I listen to music from games?

Votes: 279 25.4%
  • 1-10% Yeah a few notable soundtracks

Votes: 488 44.4%
  • 11-30% A decent amount I enjoy listening too

Votes: 116 10.6%
  • 31-60% a good chunk of my music library

Votes: 79 7.2%
  • 61-80% Most songs in my music listening library are from gaming. Woot.

Votes: 57 5.2%
  • 81-95% Fus ro dah

Votes: 54 4.9%
  • 100% I only listen to gaming music. Screw everything else

Votes: 25 2.3%

• Total voters

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
Nah I like maybe two dozen gaming soundtracks enough to listen to outside the game. Which is dwarfed by my music library. Too many great performers out there to compete with for my time, so the game time is usually the only time I listen to game music.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I use game music for ambient listening a lot of the time, but even that's broken up by some non-gaming music so long as it doesn't have lyrics. Active listening is almost entirely non-gaming music.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
36.48% (3908 songs out of 10713)

I'm not surprised it's that high, honestly, I've got a bunch of Mario, Mega Man, Sonic (2-D, of course), Castlevania and Final Fantasy soundtracks, bunch of OCRemix's albums, anything that came with a soundtrack on Steam (Stardew Valley, Starbound, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight etc.), and any soundtrack CDs that came with deluxe editions of games.

A lot of it is great as background music when working, since there's no lyrics.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Too much.

Like 2%. I love game music but I find it kind of boring outside its context. Some tunes make it past the chopping block though.

I have a lot of gaming music and find this to be the case.

There are amazing soundtracks (The Witcher III, Shadow of the Colossus, Shovel Knight, NieR: Automata, Persona 5), but their impact wanes greatly when listening without context.

Then there is Undertale where I can listen to it whenever, but find many of the tunes aren't as well fitting in-game.

Apr 19, 2018
In terms of my physical CD collection, I'd say roughly 50% -- which still equates to a little over a thousand VGM albums. I've been collecting since the 90s when importing was still very much in its infancy, so it's certainly become something of an ongoing hobby.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I don't have a music library. I listen to random stuff or have to listen to, and I like what I can like.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know it's weird to think of music library in percents. I'm usually listening to something new each day whether it's game music or a different genre. I listen to game music a lot, though.

Edit: I also tend to completely listen to the entire backcatalog of a specific composer or artist if I find myself liking their music. So I'll go out and find every single thing they worked on.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
0%

But I don't have a music library. I load music up on YouTube if I'm up for a listen, but never load up game music.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Think I have 1 song from a game in the thousands and thousands and thousands of songs I have.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I would have a bit more if publishers started putting their tracks on apple music and Spotify more often

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
People who love music so much that they care artists get paid something meaningful for their work, possibly.
I spent thousands on CD's back in my teens and twenties but it's just not very convenient to listen to anymore. I also spent thousands on live shows and merch. After music and alcohol, I wasn't left with much cash and that's why I fell off gaming for a while.
Looking back, I think recorded music was too expensive for consumers and too lucrative for record labels so something had to change.
The paradigm has shifted for better or worse and now artists have to find other ways to make a living, which should be easier with current ways to find the audience and even a small dedicated following able to sustain an artist.
Getting filthy rich off music is probably much harder though.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I listen to VG music on youtube sometimes, but I have to be in the right mood.

Apr 19, 2018
I also tend to completely listen to the entire backcatalog of a specific composer or artist if I find myself liking their music. So I'll go out and find every single thing they worked on.

I've done this with so many VGM composers, heh. It's been a joy discovering the vast back catalogs of the likes of Yuzo Koshiro, Yoko Shimomura, Noriyuki Iwadare, Hiroshi Kawaguchi, David Wise, etc.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Several Metal Gear Solid tracks, then a few from random games. I like stuff with lyrics and most game themes are instrumental.

It's a very small percentage of my listening, I don't think the number of tracks even hits the 20s.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
99.9%

I listen to game soundtrack all the time when I work or at home, even in my car it's game soundtracks.
Mostly games recently played or older games, as long as I loved the soundtrack or depending on the mood.

When it's not games soundtracks it's movies', but it's rare.

When I can't find the soundtrack to buy it, I rip it myself either by recording it in the games or extracting it with tools.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Like less than 5%, and that includes all of FF soundtracks, xenogears, metal gear solid, personas, baldurs gate and a few others.

They dont make it easy to get into outside of just watching yourube playlists. Soundtracks are usually full retail price and missing fron streaming platforms. The ones I have I've either bought digitally or ripped from CDs but my general music albums far outweigh gaming.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This thread neatly explains why no one knew who Travis Scott was when the PS5 collab was announced.

Also 0%. To those answering 50%+, expand your musical horizons seriously.
Game music can be so broad I can easily say the same to those who put 0%. No need to have a superiority complex

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Anime music has a small play list with a couple tracks like Eternity of memory & Lightwaves (makes a great somber background) but nah dude, my music will remain 99% 90's hip hop & alternative forever.

Nothing beats music from the 90's, lol

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread neatly explains why no one knew who Travis Scott was when the PS5 collab was announced.

Why? Videogame music is so varied that you would get far more variety just listening to that kind of music than you ever would if you just listen to what's popular on the radio. Also nice condescension.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Just by the numbers, more than half of it, but I listen to any of it very rarely because I'm usually in the mood to listen to things I can sing along to and most soundtracks are instrumental.
So like 70% by numbers and like 2% by time spent listening.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is such a shit fucking post, I'm sorry.

You understand that "video game music" includes a number of different genres, correct? Listen to the Nier soundtrack and then listen to the Celeste soundtrack. Different styles, genres, format, etc.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm a Travis Scott fan as well. Just because someone prefers "video game music" doesn't mean they have a shallow sense of taste.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Destiny 2 OST
Destiny 2 Shadowkeep OST
Destiny 2 Forsaken OST
Kameo: Elements of Power OST
Nier Gestalt & Replicant OST
Nier Automata OST
Mirror's Edge OST
Mirror's Edge Catalyst OST
Smash Bros Melee OST
League of Legends Anthology
Final Fantasy 7 OST
Final Fantasy 7R OST
UN Squadron OST
Ecco The Dolphin OST (SegaCD)
Ecco The Dolphin - Tides of Time OST (SegaCD)
Ecco The Dolphin - Songs of Time Anthology
Hook (SegaCD)

I believe that is every video game OST I own. I own about 3,000 albums.

So my video game collection represents about 0.04% of my collection. That said, some of these albums are among my most-played albums of all time. Nier Automata and Ecco OST are waaaaaay up there. I play Ecco often to relax (it's that chill newage stuff). Automata is just great music.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
For just regular listening, not much. But I have a bunch of writing/project playlists with a decent amount of game soundtracks included, probably like 10%ish.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Or this guy's music simply ain't their jam, maybe, hence why they'd not heard of him before.
Count me in this pack.
He's one of the biggest stars in the most popular genre of music right now. It'd be like someone in the early 90s having no idea who U2 is, but that could never happen FOR SOME REASON.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
He's one of the biggest stars in the most popular genre of music right now. It'd be like someone in the early 90s having no idea who U2 is, but that could never happen FOR SOME REASON.
Nah. It's easier than ever to silo yourself away from things you aren't interested in. In the 90s you'd be exposed to artists you don't like or might not have been inherently interested in on MTV/VH1/BET, music award shows, radio, and so on. Today? People listen to curated music playlists or just listen to what they own or know they want to hear. They don't watch much music-based TV where they may get exposed. They don't listen to music on the radio. The likelihood of accidental exposure is exceedingly low.

And so if you're not actively seeking an artist out, it can actually be a little difficult to find new music and artists right now. Unless you frequent music review sites, listen to something like Pandora or Apple Music One, play other people's Spotify lists, or let YouTube auto-play...it's actually very difficult to find new music and equally likely there could be someone big out there that you've never heard of.

When Travis Scott does the Super Bowl or some other major event, THEN you can be surprised if nobody has heard of him (because that's a huge cross-pollination event). As it stands, I would expect that most wouldn't even recognize him on the street.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would estimate about 70-75 percent. Classical music and orchestral video game soundtracks were pretty much all I listened to growing up, and my library still mainly reflects that.

Get over yourself.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a shit fucking post, I'm sorry.

You understand that "video game music" includes a number of different genres, correct? Listen to the Nier soundtrack and then listen to the Celeste soundtrack. Different styles, genres, format, etc.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm a Travis Scott fan as well. Just because someone prefers "video game music" doesn't mean they have a shallow sense of taste.

I'm well aware that VGM can be very diverse and if someone wants to listen to it, great. I think that's great.

I think we all understand the typical archetype of a VGM fan who *only* listens to it and excludes anything not video game related. Often connected to someone who's life and hobbies don't extend much past games and refuses to engage in any form of popular culture.

There's a big wide world of experiences out there and people like that are depriving themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That poster wasn't wrong. It is good to expand your musical scope and experiences. There's a lot of amazing stuff out there that you will end up loving in genres you didn't necessarily anticipate. You'll never find them if you never look. If you're never willing to be exposed.

I strongly encourage everyone to take a little risk and diversify their music portfolio. 75% in a single sub-genre of music is very limited, and it being that way because you've always limited yourself (or preferred, if you'd like to call it that) is all the more reason to push out. Not a problem; just something I'd recommend.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I had to vote 0%, but I do have quite a few gaming soundtracks. It's more that my library is massive and gaming/soundtracks in general make up less than 1% of it. I would like to fetch some more to help remedy this, but a lot of the ones I want seem to be mad expensive.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Of the ~800 albums I have 64 are video game soundtracks. They're pretty much all I listen though if I'm being honest. Retro-style soundtracks in particular are perfect for coding so that's what I listen to when I work.

It is good to expand your musical scope and experiences.

Why? For me music is just there to fill silence when I'm driving or working. I don't need it to be deep/meaningful/relatable/whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Seems like you both could try something new!

Why? For me music is just there to fill silence when I'm driving or working. I don't need it to be deep/meaningful/relatable/whatever.
Why not just eat Cream of Wheat every day for the rest of your life? Because you don't know if you're missing out on something you might also enjoy, and you will never discover it if you never look. May turn out you really like the taste of bacon & eggs too. Why wouldn't you want to have options?

You may find a bunch of stuff other than video game music that you enjoy to fill that silence that isn't deep/meaningful/relatable/whatever.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I have an ambient Spotify playlist which has some Mass Effect and Halo sprinkled in, that's about it with regards to music I might listen to on a regular basis.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Why not just eat Cream of Wheat every day for the rest of your life? Because you don't know if you're missing out on something you might also enjoy, and you will never discover it if you never look. May turn out you really like the taste of bacon & eggs too. Why wouldn't you want to have options?

You may find a bunch of stuff other than video game music that you enjoy to fill that silence that isn't deep/meaningful/relatable/whatever.

I don't think constantly searching for new music just to satisfy some imaginary FOMO is worthwhile, but that's just me.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Out of the ~550 albums on Spotify, ~1000 albums I have stored on an HDD, and the ~200 I have on CD/vinyl, I have 6 video game soundtracks, so about 0.3% of my library. I don't think I've listened to those in about ten years though.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That poster wasn't wrong. It is good to expand your musical scope and experiences. There's a lot of amazing stuff out there that you will end up loving in genres you didn't necessarily anticipate. You'll never find them if you never look. If you're never willing to be exposed.

I strongly encourage everyone to take a little risk and diversify their music portfolio. 75% in a single sub-genre of music is very limited, and it being that way because you've always limited yourself (or preferred, if you'd like to call it that) is all the more reason to push out. Not a problem; just something I'd recommend.

Your post is well-intentioned, but respectfully, I know what my personal tastes are, I've spent years developing them; and yes, that process included sampling various genres/artists. To imply that a narrowly selected library is somehow lesser than a wide, diverse one comes across as a tad insulting, even if unintentional.

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Have only purchased one music soundtrack, and that's the OST for Transistor on vinyl. Supergiant has the best music in their games, but Transistor will always be my favorite.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Probably about half of my CD collection are game soundtracks. For the past 8 or so years I've only bought a few music CDs since most of what I like to listen to is on Spotify, but lately I've been buying a lot of game OSTs that are not easily available for streaming or digitally.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
When you ask about music library it might give the wrong impression. What is a music library? Music that you bought? Music that you have on a play list? Music that you listen to? Music that you like but not necessarily have the ability to play?