• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What percentage of the games in your library do you consider a bad purchase?

• 0% - 25%

Votes: 575 81.1%
  • 26% -50%

Votes: 92 13.0%
  • 50% - 75%

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • 76% - 100%

Votes: 15 2.1%

• Total voters

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Pretty low. A game may not peak my interest after buying but I don't necessarily consider it a bad game. It's often more than I'm busy with something else and add it to my "to play later" list.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
1-2% pretty good at knowing what I like, few games I just barely played and haven't went back to. Also a few games I'd buy that would be "free" almost immediately after.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Iam super carerul with full price games but if the price is right iam buying alot of trash.

Oct 24, 2019
Less than 1%.

I know my taste very well, so I don't buy things that I know I won't like.

Every once in a while I get duped though, it happens

Oct 25, 2017
Probably like 10% of games I actually intentionally buy.

I refuse to include stuff like humble bundles though because there are always games in those that I will literally never play even if I had near infinite time

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anything I've bought but haven't played yet is a bad purchase until I play it.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
0% because I buy all my games on day one and sell them on eBay when I'm done with them at a slim loss.

That said, I had plenty of cases (Sakura Wars was the latest) where I resold a game without playing it for long.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Only good purchase is gamepass... and the extremely cheap sale/bargain bin stuff. Paying even 30 for a game kills my soul.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Most of it I will never properly play, so in that sense I guess a big portion of it is a bad purchase since essentially it is wasted money. Most of them are great games though so I don't really have that feeling.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
1-2%. I'm pretty picky about what I buy but there are always going to be some games you take a chance on and they turn out to be bad. So games like Andromeda, Brink, Crackdown 2, Anthem, etc. It only makes up a very small portion of my games and I don't really trade in games so I just keep them.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
If im looking at my PSN, Switch digital purchase library, not much tbh. The big highlight for me is Project Cars on PSN, god i hated it, and bite about it because at release it was cheaper than the CD edition at release. On Switch there was Gear Club Unlimited 2, but luckily was able to get a refund from Nintendo by calling them ( and it was on special at like 12$ lol ). Some regrets i got on Switch is thinking st some point to go digital but back off after and got some game i would prefer having the physical, like Animal Crossing, Diablo 3, Dark Souls, but there are not bad purchases by any mean.

No, because of one bad digital purchase, Project Cars, iv very cautious buying digital games now. I dont feel i have a bad digital library.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I've hidden over 20% of my steam library thanks to bundles, and I havent finished. So 26-50% easily

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
iu

games have made my life worse
Take a nice long break from gaming maybe?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hmmm so most of you exclude bundles...then around 15%, and of those about half I really regret. Most I'm just aware I won't be able to play for any length at all.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
On Steam, probably 20%, mostly due to random humble bundle stuff that got mixed in.

Xbox and Playstation, I'd say 0%, nothing in there I wouldn't be happy playing on any given day.

Switch... One game I absolutely don't like at all, though I wouldn't call it a bad game.

I don't buy bad games.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Well considering I just came back to gaming and building a new catalogue on stadia, currently consisting of 3 games and one of them was a bad purchase (Cyberpunk) so I say 1/3

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
1% I guess? I don't know lol, I'm usually very in tune with my tastes and only pick up things I know I'm into.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Straight up bad? Less than 25%. Prob less than 10 or 5%. I usually sell back games that are bad.

Jan 27, 2018
I've gotten much, much better about not buying things until I'm ready to play them. At the moment, I have like 2-3 unopened games but I won't say they were a mistake. One of them is 13 Sentinels which I'm all about trying as soon as I kick my FFXIV addiction. Think the others are the Mario 3D collection (had to buy before they take it away) and Bioshock (Switch). Not sure if I'll ever actually play Bioshock at this point but it's hard to consider it a mistake.

In my early 20's I'd basically buy anything remotely interesting and end up with tons of stuff I never played or games I instantly disliked. Glad I got past that.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Probably under 5%. I make sure it's a game I will enjoy playing before I purchase, even if it's just a few bucks.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
How often do you look in your library, physical or digital, and think to yourself "I wish I hadn't bought that"?

Also, for physical copies, how often to do you sell your games thinking the same thing?

Honestly, only once or twice that I can remember. Saints row for switch cause when I got it it was unplayable (and I'm far more tolerant what I consider playable than a lot of you it seems). I mean there was noticeable lag in controls, you had to predict what move you'd want to do in advance and bad controls is one of the few ways you can instantly turn me off of a game even if I could tell I'd like it otherwise. They finally fixed it at some point (I don't know when cause I put it down and only when commenting a year later and some one telling me they fixed it did I find out). So not so regretting it now. And I think maybe somewhat recently I bought a game that I lost interest in really quickly. Can't even remember what it was. Oh shoot, the dlc for Pokémon shield. Just was done with that game when they came out and couldn't keep my interest that long.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Less than 5% I think.

Even if I don't like a game, I don't necessarily see that as a bad purchase since I most likely would've bought that game anyway just to try it for myself. I think I got Doom 2016 a few years back for $35 and after a couple of hours I realized that game wasn't for me, but I wasn't mad that I had bought it, cause I knew I would've at some point.

One of the few examples that I was legit mad at myself for buying a game was getting Street Fighter V day one. But other than that (and CP2077 which thankfully I got a refund), I don't remember that many times when I felt I had made a bad purchase.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
It's a really hard one for me. IfI only consider games I actually bought, neither I think. I tend to love all the games I put money in. Maybe Homefront Revolution, as I don't feel any urger to go back to finish it.

Then GwG and XGP come and load my free space, and not all of those are able to keep my interest.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
according to my steam compeltionist it is around 14-15% of my library. Do note however that quite a bit of those games are bundles games where I buy the bundle for 1-2 games and decide to add a few other because they look interesting, despite being games i'd never buy.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at the time I've spent in a majority of them, I think around 75% of games I should've never purchased.

Because I haven't played them more than an hour generally.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Probably 30%. If I stuck to genres that I actually enjoy, that amount would be a lot lower. But I keep trying out new things and never giving a crap about them.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Like... .005 % of the games I buy are considered bad purchases. I'm constantly doing research on video games just out of curiosity, so I know what I'm going to get.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Very few. Most the games I have are ones I was interested in or knew it was something I would like when I bought it

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MEEE being a GAMER OF IMPECCABLE TASTES HAAAARDLY MAKES BAD PURCHASES!?!

lol i buy a lot of crap on sale on xbox live, so probably a lot of my library

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Its pretty low. I don't often buy things at launch and will usually wait for review. Of the PS4 stuff I have, I only really regret buying the following:

13 Sentinels
Cyberpunk
Divinity: Original Sin II
Hellblade
Kingdom Hearts 3
Zero Time Dilemma
The Order: 1886
Skyrim
Talos Principle

some of these were bought on hype and/or curiosity- not necessarily bad games just not the kind of things I enjoy playing.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I find that I rarely dislike a game that I bought. I feel pretty confident about what kind of games I'll like and how to pick them. The downside is I don't try out new types of games that often since I don't take many chances.

I personally don't count bundle or free games.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say 20-30% but I only buy games on sale for $20 or less, so it's not that big of a deal. I would count a lot of remasters among those, just because I realized I didn't want to replay certain games as much as I thought I would.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Physical library contains only the games I didn't resell, which right now is around 120 games spanning GC to WiiU, PS2 to PS5. I must have resold 25% of what I bought in my life. My digital libraries also have maybe 25% I didn't like and/or will never replay, including PC games which are all digital. But none of them were full price AAA, they are mostly bargain prices, or indies which are always low cost.

Biggest mistake was to buy games outside of my favorite genre just because they had great reviews. I will not magically start liking a genre I don't like. I stopped buying multi-player games completely. I don't play RTS games because I really suck at it. I stopped playing the hundreds hours RPGs, or MMOs, or Sandbox games which are designed around grinding, because my free time is more limited today.

Nov 12, 2017
0 to 25%. I used to have a fair bit more, but I stopped buying bundles period and played through my backlog. On PC there was a few I didn't like and dropped, but most were cool.

Switch is what kills me because Nintendo has a stupid refund policy. I have Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (third buy) and Divinity Original Sin 2 (second buy) that I can't refund because the switch version look and play like crap vs. the PC versions. Banner's Saga 1-3 wasn't fun at all, at least these were bought on sale and mostly with coins. Ashen I wasn't a huge fan of at all. Okami felt outdated as heck gameplay wise, really pretty tho. Tokyo Mirage and Atelier Ryza didn't jive with me because no dub.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost zero, since I'll resell games I don't enjoy, but even that is pretty rare. I do have a few digital games that I wish I didn't buy, but probably less than 10 total.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Somewhere between 10-20%. I don't mind buying games just to have them/show support, and I rarely take buy something that's straight trash, usually my regrets fall in the "man I'm never going to get around to playing that am I?" camp.