• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
My family dog is obese and I feel pretty bad about it. I love her to death but it's been very hard to break my mom out of feeding her table scraps, and I have to admit I often cave myself. She's been on a "diet" for basically half her entire life but has never lost significant weight because we constantly cave in. I love her. We feed her Blue Buffalo for her normal food.

Nov 26, 2018
I think anything under the careful eye of a vet is best. I too have my opinions being an animal science major but it's not really something I feel like posting on the forum

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Our cats only get dry food and water, they have been healthy for 15+ years. Maybe unfufilled in life though.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
When I Google such topics, there's an endless number of search results from various sides of the debate in all of the above topics.
With pets and babies/children products there is a lot of money to be earned as long as you sell it accordingly.

High quality wet food (at least 60% meat content: Feringa, MjamMjam, Leonardo, Ropocat, Macs, Majestic, Catz Finest...), if medication is given I give them dry meat with it (Majestic brand), rarely my cats get kibbles (Applaw, Purizon) but it takes ages to use up one kg bag.

Yes, a lot of different brands. Yes we feed them all of these in chaotic order, I think its important that cats dont get used to one kind of brand too much.

I'd feed raw food too, but as vegetarian that's a no-go for me to prepare.

I dont think very highly of vet food, last time she wanted to prescribe me some emphasized that food shouldnt contain grains nor sugar and then went ahead to prescribe "calm" by royal canine which has 4% meat content and plenty of grains.

I was like "no thanks we take pills instead and feed those additional to our diet".

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
My kitty is a very picky eater. She loves Blue dry food for sensitive tummy, so i get that for her. She loves meow mix, but thats like kitty junk food.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Currently have my 11 week old puppy on Purina puppy chow, she seems happy with it and seems to basically vacuum it down. Our other dogs are on other assorted dry foods, not quite sure what they are though.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for cats, that are fed a vegan diet.
In nature cats eat meat, I'm pretty sure there bodies are designed for meat.
They have incredible hunting and self awareness abilities.

A cat fed a vegan diet will die. They are obligate carnivores and cannot survive long on that food. It wrecks their kidneys.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cat gets kibbles in the morning and canned wet food for dinner.

Even a lower quality wet food brand is better than a dry only diet for cats.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feed my pup a mixture of dry and wet food, table scraps that arent bad for her (I always consult the chart on my fridge), and I sometimes cut some carrots for her to get some veggies in her.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
My kitty is a very picky eater. She loves Blue dry food for sensitive tummy, so i get that for her. She loves meow mix, but thats like kitty junk food.
Ours first ate only sheba (4% food), we simply didnt offer him any other option and slowly mixed it with high quality.

I personally think its important to keep at least 2-4 brands around your cat eats, for the case they change formula or your cat gets tired of one. Or even worse: Stop existing.

Imaging an emergency case where you have to take your cat with you and dont have anything else available but kibbles from brand x. As long as cats are young they can get used to different textures and kind of food (mind allergies).

A cat fed a vegan diet will die. They are obligate carnivores and cannot survive long on that food. It wrecks their kidneys.

4% meat diets are standard in cat food industry. Thats almost vegetarian.

Many cats survive years on such diets, that's why people call them success.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Ours first ate only sheba (4% food), we simply didnt offer him any other option and slowly mixed it with high quality.

I personally think its important to keep at least 2-4 brands around your cat eats, for the case they change formula or your cat gets tired of one.

Imaging an emergency case where you have to take your cat with you and dont have anything else available but kibbles from brand x. As long as cats are young they can get used to different textures and kind of food (mind allergies).

When i adopted her she was around 3 months and only had blue, so she had never been exposed to anything else. Plus, shes very stubborn lol. She turns her nose up at alot of things that ive never seen a cat do. She wont eat any wet food or meats for example. I will get diffrent flavors of Blue when i can, but most are in chicken sadly. The sensitive stomach one helps her alot also cause she gets bad anxiety alot and vomits.

However, she loves bread for some weird reason, especially from sweets like pie lol.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
When i adopted her she was around 3 months and only had blue, so she had never been exposed to anything else. Plus, shes very stubborn lol. She turns her nose up at alot of things that ive never seen a cat do. She wont eat any wet food or meats for example. I will get diffrent flavors of Blue when i can, but most are in chicken sadly. The sensitive stomach one helps her alot also cause she gets bad anxiety alot and vomits.

However, she loves bread for some weird reason, especially from sweets like pie lol.
Sounds a lot like our cat shiro, we got him with 9 month and he just ate one cheap, but medium good brand. He's on calming "Sedarom" pills to reduce his stress. He does not deal with changes very well, move one piece of furniture and be sure he will get back to you.

At first we were really worried, we'd serve him Sheba no end (we got him on a weekend and that was all we could have organized), and then I decided to put an end to it and mixed it. If he didnt eat up or just half then it was just that for the meal. After 3 days (i first mixed one spoon under it) he started to eat it properly and we dropped it all together.

After that he tried a few times to refuse with other food (especially beef, he does not like beef focused meals) but then he is not hungry enough. When we did that he was at 9 month with 3,6 kg weight. He didnt have the freedom to lose weight. But we trusted his instincts, and they will kick in.

By now we know he loves game. That's his absolute favourite.

Changes in his diet are no longer a problem, he does not care what we serve. (Although beef is still not really included as main course)

It is not easy, takes effort but heck now we feed like 8-10 different brands and we know they get their nutritients.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
My cat mostly loves one type of dry food (james well beloved) and I stick to that one. However she does get sick about once a month but vet said this is normal?

I do give her wet food once in a while but she doesn't really eat it. She licks the juice off the wet food more than anything else.

She's about 4, very slightly overweight so we give her diet versions of the dry food. She has always been on a schedule with a spinnable timed food dispenser that spins 4 times throughout the day for a total of 40g of dry food.

Vet check back in October noticed she's lost one of her tooth. Not sure how or why? Is it because her diet is mostly dry food?

In any case took her to the vets yesterday again for another health checkup and they recommended to have that whole tooth (including the root) removed too in case it gets infected as it looked a bit swollen around where it had chipped off when they checked it. They said it's nothing urgent or serious just a recommendation.

So we've booked in a visit to have it removed completely. Obviously she's gonna have to be zonked out for the minor surgery. Doing a blood test on her prior to the surgery to make sure there's no side effects when she gets injected for anastastic. Bit worried about her but I'm sure she'll be ok. I dunno how she lost that tooth though wish I knew to prevent it happening again.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Our Yorkie gets a weekly rotation of chicken, turkey, or ground beef (he dislikes pork, oddly) that I cook along with things like sweet potato, oatmeal, brown rice, and lots of veggies: carrot, peas, kale, spinach, green beans, bell pepper, and so on. We also keep some Fromm kibble around but it's mainly just something to put in a treat ball rather than did he really wants to eat a lot of.

He's a long-haired dog and used to have pretty messy poops from canned wet food. Not fun to be cleaning that out of his hair every day... Zero problems since switching to whole meat and veggies, and the vet always says he's one of the healthiest, cleanest dogs they've ever seen.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
We have 2 dogs and 5 cats in our household.

The dogs eat only BARF ( raw chicken mixed with apples carrots and some other vegetables). We buy it from a local shop with ISO certification.
We feed the dogs twice a day after their walk, and once a week , one meal for the day. They are at optimal weight , and have no health issues. Both are six years old.
The vet was apprehensive at first , but she is ok with it now, since the dogs as said before are healthy and fit.

The cats eat only dry food. No treats or wet food of any kind.
The older male (7 years) is on a clinical diet, royal urinary, moderate calories. He likes it, and we didn't have any issues since he started it. Royal was the only urinary diet that worked for him . Also his weight is optimal.
The two female adults (4 and 3 years) are on Happy Cat diet. We started it about 4 months ago and they both lost 200grs. Still overweight but it seems to be working.

The 2 foster kittens (8 months) are on Brit sensitive. It was the only food that stabilised their poop. No mushy or diarrhea anymore.

The cats get fed around 4 times a day. Big portion in the morning, smaller the other three.
I used to feed the cats some canned food in the afternoon, but stopped because of the kitties, and I don't think that I'm going to start again.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see, the dachshunds I had used to eat dry dog food. No human food (leftovers) or meat. Never fed bone, chicken or other kind.

One of them killed and snacked a pigeon tho, how I have no idea. Only found a wing.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Our dog is on a strict diet of duck and potato because literally every other food we've ever given her has made her sick and/or given her serious diarrhea problems.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vet tech here. The truth in my experience is that there are really no bad dog or cat foods that will harm your pet. However, every pet - even from the same litter - is different and may respond differently to certain ingredients.

For dogs it's not a terrible idea to have an allergy test done to find out specifically what could be an issue. This will save you money in the long run (costs $200-300) in vet bills if your animal gets sick or has a reaction.

What we tell our clients regarding wet or dry food is to pick one and stick with it. That's it. Find a food you can afford; that the animal will eat; and that doesn't result in an unhappy or sick pet. But only pick one. It's a waste of money and unnecessary calories to do both.

Additionally, don't buy or give them treats from a bag. They're a massive waste of money and can only lead to behavior issues.

If you want to give them a treat between meals (3 for puppies during the first two years; 2 for senior dogs) give them fruits or veggies that you would eat. Eg: baby carrots; peeled apple slices; fresh or steamed green beans. There's very few of these that dogs can't handle or digest (grape skins being one so no grapes or raisins). They won't love or go for everything but test them out and see what they like. All dogs seem to enjoy bananas.

The biggest disservice that you can do to yourself or your animal is to feed it leftovers off the table. Yes, it makes you feel better about yourself because you think you're making your pet happy. But your dog is stupid. It's a stupid animal that literally trusts you as its owner with its life. Anything fried or fatty or foods that you would eat can lead to obesity, pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, or worst of all - massively-explosive-a-river-runs-through-it levels of diarrhea.

Owner negligence is by far the number one thing that makes vets stay in business. People claim to love their pets but refuse to listen about what to feed them. I've largely given up at this point. I give the spiel and then turn it over to the doctor.

I personally like Royal Canin food for dogs. But again, and I can't stress this enough, every animal is different. Find what works for you and stick with it. Do not switch foods on a whim or because "let's try something else, won't that he fun for us?". No, it will not. A food trial is a minimum of six weeks. So that's a month and a half of making sure the animal eats the food (and only the new food!) and doesn't have a reaction of some kind to it.

Switching brands during or after does nothing and will only harm a dog if it's had GI difficulties in the past or broken out with a rash.

If you want to switch foods for whatever reason do so over the course of a month by slowly integrating it with the old food 1/4 cup at a time every few days. Senior dogs shouldn't eat more than 2 or 3 cups of food day. So that's 1-1.5 in the morning and the same at night. That's it. The dog will likely be hungry between these meals and it should be. That's how you train them to listen to you. That's where the fruit and vegetables come in as treats between meals. By year three their metabolism absolutely plummets. So this is how you keep a healthy animal for the longest amount of time possible.

This is much more than I expected to type here but I'll finish by mentioning that there's only one brand of dog food I absolutely stay away from, and not because it's not a really good dog food now, but out of principal: Blue Buffalo.

Blue Buffalo was a family run company (now owned by General Mills) that was started by a former Park Ave. advertising executive, Bill Bishop. This guy took his boardroom knowledge of the business and used his marketing experience to seize an opportunity to exploit the lack of regulation on dog foods in this country. He and his family made that the basis of which they started their dog food company. Think about how many times over the years you've seen tv spots for Blue Buffalo. You can Google their lawsuits for the specifics but what it basically boiled down to is they mislabeled their bags of food for years, charging premium prices for what amounted to being no different than anyone else.

That wouldn't be more than simple fraud if not for the hundreds of animals this impacted and definitely killed because of their greed. They settled a few of the suits and then got out of the business a few years later by selling to GM for billions.

It's really the American dream if you think about it.

Anyway, Blue has been clean for years now and is a good expensive option, but I still don't like or recommend them simply because there are so many others who do things right, why go with a brand that did so wrong and largely got away with it?

Wow, amazing write up, thanks for this. I was doing most things right with my last dog but clearly not all.

The part about people somehow being immune to science driven pet food advice really rings true, you can see it in this thread even. I really wonder what's up with that. Don't blame you for giving up after the spiel.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I try to rotate what my animals eat.

I've seen so many pets who throw everything up or won't eat at the slightest hint of change and that doesn't gel if you have to change their diet for some reason (medical, financial, whatever).

Edit: also calling bullshit on the vet tech advice above because my dog doesn't love bananas. :P

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The part about people somehow being immune to science driven pet food advice really rings true, you can see it in this thread even. I really wonder what's up with that. Don't blame you for giving up after the spiel.
There are vets who claim grains are good, there are vets that state they are bad. Ask one vet and you get at least 3 different (contradicting) answers.

The thing is, that there are many ways. You have to figure out what works best.

To just feed one brand is a practise that just works under ideal settings if you ask me, because: What if they stop producing, change formula or even you simply lose access due to emergency situation?

Then your pet is stressed and has to deal with new food additionally to the emergency induced stress. So ideally he should have a few options he's used to, so if he gets in that situation its less stress.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/nine...ne-lives-with-dr-kat-episode-28-the-raw-data/

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/nine...ives-with-dr-kat-episode-18-you-are-what-you/

Last edited: